CFDA Requests Biocompatibility Evaluation for Raw Materials

pittmatj

Involved In Discussions
Our company is undergoing a re-registration and the CFDA reviewer has requested biocompatibility evaluation reports for the raw materials in our medical devices. We have already provided the reports for the finished product.

My understanding is that it is permissible according to ISO 10993-1 to test the finished product. Note, our medical devices are low-risk, non-invasive, and non-sterile

Is this typical to require evaluation reports for the raw materials? Does anyone have the specific regulation from China?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

I love biocompatibility evaluation rules. :notme:

US FDA has been giving me a hard time lately on a couple of applications because we documented the products involved per their constituent materials, and for the device type in question, FDA now will only accept finished device evaluations.

It's a merry go round.

N

NSFountou

If the regulator that required the testing did not provide the standards... try to reach out to them to get the standards. As a caveat, it is an unusual request, but nevertheless your best resource is the CFDA contact.

M

MIREGMGR

Sorry, I should have answered better before.

I don't have the cross reference list readily available, but CFDA uses China nationalized versions of ISO and IEC standards in most cases. My understanding is that they have adopted the ISO 10993 series in that sense. So, I think your situation is not that their standard specifically calls for something different from what rest-of-world standards require. Rather, it might be a matter of interpretation or institutional preference.

pittmatj

Involved In Discussions
If the regulator that required the testing did not provide the standards... try to reach out to them to get the standards. As a caveat, it is an unusual request, but nevertheless your best resource is the CFDA contact.
That's a good idea, thanks. Up to this point, we have been communicating through our registrar in China.

pittmatj

Involved In Discussions
Sorry, I should have answered better before.

I don't have the cross reference list readily available, but CFDA uses China nationalized versions of ISO and IEC standards in most cases. My understanding is that they have adopted the ISO 10993 series in that sense. So, I think your situation is not that their standard specifically calls for something different from what rest-of-world standards require. Rather, it might be a matter of interpretation or institutional preference.
Thanks. I found this file(attached) from another thread- is it the most updated version of the standards from the CFDA?

Attachments

M

MIREGMGR

I don't read Chinese, but the accompanying plain text implies that this is a 2007 document. I'm under the impression that they issue updates several times a year.

That's not to say that the information in this document necessarily has changed. I don't think it's "latest", though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L How to find a good online CFDA submission training? China Medical Device Regulations 4
M Does cFDA accepts FDA approval or CE marking? China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Change management with CFDA approved devices China Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv Submissions to NMPA (formerly CFDA) Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
Marc China - CFDA is now National Medical Products Administration or NMPA China Medical Device Regulations 7
Gamula CFDA Biological Evaluation Report China Medical Device Regulations 2
N China's CFDA - Medical Device Validation Requirements China Medical Device Regulations 8
Gamula CFDA Clinical Evaluation Report (China) China Medical Device Regulations 4
E RF Energy Treatment Devices for CFDA Registration China Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv CFDA Technical Guidelines for Clinical Evaluation on Medical Devices (English) China Medical Device Regulations 8
O CFDA (China Food and Drugs Administration) Audit Finding Classifications China Medical Device Regulations 1
R CFDA submission fees as of May 2015 China Medical Device Regulations 4
Y Is CFDA registration required if the full system is registered by our distributors? China Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Is it possible to check the authenticity of a CFDA registration certificate? China Medical Device Regulations 7
M Amending CFDA Registration for changing site of shipment China Medical Device Regulations 2
P Is an English version of CFDA YY0664-2008 available? China Medical Device Regulations 3
J CFDA issues Guiding Opinions on Enhancing the Construction of Food and Drug Inspectio China Medical Device Regulations 1
A CFDA - List of Class II Medical Devices exempt from Clinical Trials China Medical Device Regulations 2
R CFDA updated five regulations to be effective from October 1, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 16
C CFDA announced 120 new Medical Device Standards - July 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 0
C CFDA MD regulation_20140331 - Comes into effect June 01, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 33
B Amending Registration with CFDA due to Change in Site of Manufacture China Medical Device Regulations 3
M How to communicate the change in company address to CFDA ? China Medical Device Regulations 1
T CFDA seeks for public comments on newly revised medical device classification rules China Medical Device Regulations 1
T CFDA Simplifies Medical Device Re-Registration Process China Medical Device Regulations 1
Q SFDA/CFDA Shortend Registration Appendixes China Medical Device Regulations 4
T The CFDA recently issued new Medical Device Industry Standards China Medical Device Regulations 0
T CFDA issued second list of Class II devices exempt from clinical studies (10/11/13) China Medical Device Regulations 4
T CFDA recently classified 23 products (9/27/13) China Medical Device Regulations 5
T CFDA issues notice for Small Oxygen Respirators (9/16/2013) China Medical Device Regulations 0
S SFDA (China's state Food and Drug Administration) changed to CFDA China Medical Device Regulations 6
briteme4 Customer Requests FAI on Tooling Fixture AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Z Iterative development and FDA change requests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational The FDA Takes Action to Protect Patients from Risk of Certain Textured Breast Implants; Requests Allergan Voluntarily Recall Certain Breast Implants a Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C If it's not a custom-made medical device... What is it? Clinician requests EU Medical Device Regulations 11
T EU Regulation 207/2012 - EIFU - Customer Requests EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational US FDA Guidance update – Requests for Feedback and Meetings for Medical Device Submissions: The Q-Submission Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Auditor requests confidential information via Email ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
leftoverture Handling Sort/Return Requests Customer Complaints 8
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S Handling Cost of Sales requests for Customer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Process Matrix for ISO 9001 - SRI requests R.20 44KO Sample/Example ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
MarilynJ6354 Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests General Auditing Discussions 6
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
J ISO 17025, Laboratory Scope and Certifications Requests ISO 17025 related Discussions 4