CFO (Chief Financial Officer) as Management Representative

B

Brad Serangeli

Okay Cove here is a odd one for you...
With changes in our company those in power decided that the C.F. O. should be our mgmt. rep. for ISO. :biglaugh: AS you can imagine we have had comments from our third party about this but there is nothing that I can find that states our C.F.O. can not be the mgmt. rep. Does anyone have any insight, ideas, comments on this? I have argued that it should be someone within the company who deals with the quality aspects on a daily basis.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Great idea!!

I think this is a smart move myself. Too many times the only folks that get involved are the Quality and Environmental (for EMS) guys. I have repeatedly stated that we are talking "Business Management" when we start talking QMS (and EMS). Involving someone from another field (such as Finance, HR or whatever) will tend to diminish the tendency for what I call "Tunopia" (tunnel vision & myopia). Those in power should be commended for forward thinking.

G

Graeme

I remember seeing an article a couple of years ago about the coming convergence of Quality Auditing and Financial Auditing, and why it would be a good thing.

Is the future here already?

My only possible question would be if the CFO actually has enough time to really perform the function of MR -- but let the objective evidence speak, and not the opinions.

(and no, I don't remember where the article was. The most likely places would be Quality Progress or Quality Digest, but I'm not sure.)

D

David Mullins

Great idea Mr Pres/MD/CEO.
And when it all turns to 5h!t, the consultants who believe it's such a good idea can rush in and slug you a mint to fix the mess up.

I'm not anti-accountant, they just don't get turned on by QMS stuff.

R

Randy Stewart

????????

I would have to question the appointment of a CFO though. I don't think a bean counter would be a wise choice. Ensuring the customer requirements are being met, etc. doesn't seem to mess with the "real job". Although having the financial backing for initiatives would be interesting to deal with!
:confused:

Randy

Super Moderator
Ensuring the customer requirements are being met, etc. doesn't seem to mess with the "real job".
Then where else are the beans to come from?:confused:

1st and foremost any MR should be an organizer, a person capable of managing a Project and Project Implementation. Why does it matter a rats as- whether or not the MR has a quality background? It seems to me like this organization and its leadership understand that a QMS has a more far reaching potential than just ensuring the widgets are made correctly.

Let's think about this

I know of a situation where a company's quality policy stated that they wanted to "compete in time". Lead times are a real problem in their industry, and they felt that if they could be a leader here, it would make a real difference.

The purchasing manager's performance objectives were centered around cost reduction, which in many cases directly competed and conflicted with the quality policy.

If the CFO, who's primary objective is $ driven were to suddenly have to balance the QMS with the $, what impact would that have on the organization? :confused:

If it were my decision, one of the factors would be the size and complexity of the organization. I have found in small, non-publicly traded organizations, you could involve the CFO more than in larger publicly traded companies.

S

Sharon R

Re: Management Rep.

Brad Serangeli said:

Okay Cove here is a odd one for you...
With changes in our company those in power decided that the C.F. O. should be our mgmt. rep. for ISO. :biglaugh: AS you can imagine we have had comments from our third party about this but there is nothing that I can find that states our C.F.O. can not be the mgmt. rep. Does anyone have any insight, ideas, comments on this? I have argued that it should be someone within the company who deals with the quality aspects on a daily basis.
We have the same situation. I don't understand how someone beside the person doing all the qualtiy related duties (including planning and guiding the managment review) should not be the management rep.

B

Brad Serangeli

MGMT Rep

It seems to be a split. My concern was that with all of the financial importance that falls on the CFO how can she be able to evaluate and perform what is needed for the QMS? Maybe I could talk the upper management into promoting me and giving me a big raise so that I can be the mgmt rep. :vfunny: But has I have been told when the third parties come to audit they are going striaght to our upper mgmt. and then all **** will break loose.

R

Randy Stewart

From Experience

I'm just going from experience I've had. I know I can't see our current CFO as the MR. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I just don't see the benefit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A CFO trying to turn Quality procedure for Purchasing into a purchasing manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Boeing CFO got caught - Why wasn't a nonconformance found here? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
AnaMariaVR2 FDA to keep closer eye on diagnostics: FDA chief US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
JodiB Recommended Reads for new Chief Engineer Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
Ajit Basrur President Obama Picks Dr. Margaret Hamburg as FDA Chief US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ajit Basrur New FDA Chief Viewpoints - February 2009 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Unique Opportunity for QM - 'Chief Quality Officer' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Marc MS Chief Security Officer to work for White House After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
E Must the Accounting Department/Chief Financial Officer have Procedures? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc Hold on to your Hats... 3/2020 Financial and Jobs Prediction Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
R Career Path - Financial to Manufacturing Career and Occupation Discussions 1
S Financial status of critical vendor IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Q No Financial Management (ISO 9001:2015) - Your Opinions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
kmyers ISO 9001:2015 in a Financial Payment Processing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Financial Records Retention Requirements for a Manufacturing Company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
K Business Impact Analysis Questionnaire - Financial Implications Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
D Financial Services FMEA Rankings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Financial Disclosure of Clinical Investigators - FDA Form 3455 (Financial Disclosure) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
T ISO 17025 - 4.1.5b Internal/External commercial, financial, and other pressures ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Adding Bizminer's Industry Financial data to my Peer Company Comparison Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Choosing the right Industry Financial Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S QMS for Financial Department in a Mining Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
I ISO 9001:2008 Reading Material - Financial KPO with customers from all over the world ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J IFS (Industrial & Financial Systems) software and the FMEA module Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A Internal Financial Audits - Internal Auditor in a Lending Business Internal Auditing 6
M What are Special Processes in Financial Institutions? Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D Can we include internal audit (financial) in the scope of ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E List of Financial Organizations registered TO ISO 14001 in Europe REACH and RoHS Conversations 9
G Help needed to complete a Financial Audit of a Nonprofit Organization Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
N Financial Fraud Investigation plan/template Internal Auditing 3
Marc Confidentiality (Non-Disclosure) Agreement - Financial Statements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
E Financial Revenue Policies and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J ISO 10014 - Realising financial & economic benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Financial certification or disclosure statement for applying 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Is this Outsourcing, as per ISO 9001:2008? Financial/Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
W Financial Risk for Contract Manufacturer Partnering a Medical Device Manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Jim Wynne A Major Cause of the Financial Crisis: Commemorative Coins?! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
D Monitoring financial expenditures in public service department Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Utilization of new ERP system - (IFS- Industrial and Financial Systems) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
E Can QA professionals learn anything from the current global financial crisis? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S Financial & Economic Benefits of a Quality Management System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S COPQ - Cost of Poor Quality - COPQ course for non-financial people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
R Year-end review checklist for Internal Financial Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Financial Interpretation of Service Performance Measures Service Industry Specific Topics 1
Sidney Vianna Maintaining Accredited Certification During the Global Financial Crisis Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
C Financial results - What lean should save Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
BradM Wikipedia asking for financial assistance World News 5
Marc U.S. rejects GM's call for government financial help in a merger World News 2
Ajit Basrur Break up and Breakdown - which is the correct term to use in Financial Context? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10