Cg, Cgk and GRR of a CMM

Hello everyone,
I am working for Bosch in Automotive Brand and for every component made by an external supplier, Bosch is requesting them to perform an individual Cg, Cgk and GRR of all Functional/Safety dimensions which are measured by CMM (e.g. position tolerance of a plane/ parallelism,...). From your perspective, does it make sense? Once known that CMM is calibrated, what should I request to Supplier to guarantee suitability of their CMM (measurement method already agreed)?

My manager is pushing me to get these values of each ICL dimension which is driving me crazy... if CMM is calibrated (I reffer to tolerances +/- 0,1 or higher).

I don't know how could supplier do a Cg and Cgk of a Pos.tolerance between planes and anyway It would not make sense to me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The first thing to understand is that there is no relationship between calibration and GRR/Cg/Cgk. There are two aspects of measurement variation:
  • Accuracy (Bias) - This is measured by bias/linearity/stability studies, and is controlled by calibration.
  • Precision (repeatability and reproducibility) - This is not controlled by calibration. It is measured by GRR studies and is controlled by the measurement system design, procedures and training.
A GRR study can be performed on any continuous measurement. In very specific cases (fully automated test, including fixture loading), a repeatability study only may be more appropriate.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hello ARevenga,

I have come across this with an aerospace company where they were actually being asked to perform 20 to 30 GRR studies on one part with multiple features! They quickly rationalised these features down into families with respect to the features and then performed repeatability studies.

Over time they proved that the measurements were consistent and that the standard deviation was commensurate with their specifications. They also used fixtures which they demonstrated added no significant extra variation upon loading and unloading, thus reproducibility was not a factor.

Of course it would also be normal to produce a certificate to demonstrate that the CMM had been calibrated and even better was been regularly monitored for the consistency of this bias.

Hope this helps

Matt's Quality Handle

Involved In Discussions
A GRR study can be performed on any continuous measurement. In very specific cases (fully automated test, including fixture loading), a repeatability study only may be more appropriate.
A repeatability study is probably sufficient, depending on their CMM operations. I have seen operator differences in fixturing come into play.

It can also be a good test of the honesty of your supplier. I had to call BS on a supplier that did a 10x3x3 over 20 features. And every CMM measurement point agreed to within .0001 inches!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
A repeatability study is probably sufficient, depending on their CMM operations. I have seen operator differences in fixturing come into play.

It can also be a good test of the honesty of your supplier. I had to call BS on a supplier that did a 10x3x3 over 20 features. And every CMM measurement point agreed to within .0001 inches!
It would also depend on whether the CMM is running from a program or is a manual CMM.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
S Cg/Cgk - Special equipment that I'm not sure what to do Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M How to calculate Cg and Cgk for a 2-Dimensional Area Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K R&R, Cpk, Cgk - What is the difference between methods and what method is used? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA question on Cg and Cgk Calculation Method and Type of Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Capability of Gage (Cg & Cgk) for New and Repaired Gages Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
L Validation through Cgk Excel .xls file needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
P Cgk - The Kolmogoroff (Kolmogorov-Smirnov) Method Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
A What is Cgk? (Index of Testing Means Capability) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
Z GRR for multiple automated metrology tools Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Combat Low Part to Part Variation in GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Minitab 18: How to automate GRR Summary Table save Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J Question on very low NDC number with tolerable GRR ratio's Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
C Evaluating GRR Scores %Tol vs %TV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S GRR on ID with set of pin gauges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q What does % study variation of 20% mean in GRR? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
C %GRR <10% not possible. How to get approval by auditor? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
V GRR Study on a Finished Product - Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Hypothesis test for Bias, not for GRR. WHY ?? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B How to perform a MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) A&R/ANOVA Vs GUM/VDA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P New Part - How to choose what needs GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K The basics of GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M GRR approach for off line Measuring Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Does anyone have the GRR Formula? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
T MSA - Should I compare my GRR to tolerance or to my sample? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
D What the impact is of a high %GRR/TV Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F GRR (Gage R&R) with Different Scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
R New to MSA - I was told to use ANOVA for the GRR's Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Type 1 GRR (Gage R&R) on a One Sided Specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Analysis of GRR studies, MSA 4th Ed, Chapter III section B - Rigid Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Strange PT Ratio on an Excel spreadsheet for variable GRR ANOVA Method Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R ndc=0 and GRR=14% ??? Interpretation - basic question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) Requirement for CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
Rameshwar25 What is the significance of Spread in Calculating GRR (Gage R&R)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1