Cg/Cgk - Special equipment that I'm not sure what to do

soulmas

Involved In Discussions
Dear all,

I need your help. I know how to calculate Cg/Cgk's however, I have a special equipment that I'm not sure what to do. After using the same reference part several times, the part gets damaged so, I cannot complete all the measurements required. What could you suggest?

My first guess is to have several reference parts (not just one...) and measure each part only for certain number (let's say 5 times each part) to avoid damage. Is this a good approach to this study? any idea?

thank you,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear all,

I need your help. I know how to calculate Cg/Cgk's however, I have a special equipment that I'm not sure what to do. After using the same reference part several times, the part gets damaged so, I cannot complete all the measurements required. What could you suggest?

My first guess is to have several reference parts (not just one...) and measure each part only for certain number (let's say 5 times each part) to avoid damage. Is this a good approach to this study? any idea?

thank you,
Clarify, please. Damaged by your measuring instruments?

soulmas

Involved In Discussions
Clarifying, the reference part is made by plastic. The equipment is a dynamometer, so the equipment apply effort on the part and the part gets bended. (20-40 N). After several times, the reference part is bended, and does not get back to the original form. or is torn or with scratches.

You are correct, the part gets damaged by the equipment. This is not a destructive test, but Customer is requesting Cgk for 50 measurements. I can probably consider this study as being "destructive" and this could be a special case where I cannot calculate Cg/Cgk. What do you think?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Clarifying, the reference part is made by plastic. The equipment is a dynamometer, so the equipment apply effort on the part and the part gets bended. (20-40 N). After several times, the reference part is bended, and does not get back to the original form. or is torn or with scratches.

You are correct, the part gets damaged by the equipment. This is not a destructive test, but Customer is requesting Cgk for 50 measurements. I can probably consider this study as being "destructive" and this could be a special case where I cannot calculate Cg/Cgk. What do you think?
I think a frank conversation with the customer (the guy at the customer who has the final say) on a workable solution at a negotiated price is required. This is, indeed, a special case and requires special consideration AND PAYMENT for the time, effort, and materials involved.

Without seeing print and specs for both part and instrument, it's pretty difficult to suggest a quick and easy workaround.

Remember - modern quality practice suggests supplier and customer work as partners, not adversaries, for optimum results.

soulmas

Involved In Discussions
Thank you!! We...just like you say..we will work with the customer to find a solution on this particular case.. it will be handled as a special case.. first, we will run the study with 25 measurements only, to see when the part gets damaged. if we cannot complete 25 measurements, we will not conduct a Cgk study, but we will do a GR&R that will be our MSA study. Thank you for your comments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M How to calculate Cg and Cgk for a 2-Dimensional Area Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K R&R, Cpk, Cgk - What is the difference between methods and what method is used? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA question on Cg and Cgk Calculation Method and Type of Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Capability of Gage (Cg & Cgk) for New and Repaired Gages Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
L Validation through Cgk Excel .xls file needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
P Cgk - The Kolmogoroff (Kolmogorov-Smirnov) Method Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Atul Khandekar What is Cgk? (Index of Testing Means Capability) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Sanctioned Interpretations - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.2.3.1.2 - Customer-designated special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J NADCAP - Supplier Special Processes Certifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Special Vs Non-Special Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
D Customer-Designated Special Characteristics vs. Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.3.3 - Documentation of all Special Characteristics in Drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Special Procedures for Non Aerospace Customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9110C Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes for Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C AS9102 Form 2 Information - Special Processes - Plating AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Metal Radiographic and Ultrasonic Testing - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Special Characteristic - IATF Definition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W AS9100D Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37