Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval?

Daring D

Starting to get Involved
Good morning!

Albeit checking in frequently for the very useful guidance and trove of expertise on this site, today my very first query. Indulge my naively start with a very general question and allow me to read through your first reactions before eventually switching to a more in depth discussion.

"Does every change need formal customer approval, or is it allowed/common to just inform the customer of implemented changes/upcoming changes?"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I think its going to depend on the requirements of the individual customer. We have customers that want change notification pushed up the supply chain as much as possible, with notification on any kind of change. These customers usually have a supplier agreement for us to sign which contains these notification requirements. Other customers only want notification if a component change would affect form/fit/function/price.

Daring D

Starting to get Involved
I think its going to depend on the requirements of the individual customer. We have customers that want change notification pushed up the supply chain as much as possible, with notification on any kind of change. These customers usually have a supplier agreement for us to sign which contains these notification requirements. Other customers only want notification if a component change would affect form/fit/function/price.
Dear Tagin,

Thanks for your reaction.
To your input, i see no issue in keeping our customers informed about changes, even beyond engineering topics. I believe our change management process is very solid and none of the changes we introduce are unplanned. Everything is consciously worked out and evaluated and tested prior to serial introduction. Even after full serial production we keep studying the effects of the change and move cautiously forward.
What bothers us somewhat is the expectation of a formal customer approval before any change can be introduced. I'm curious if there's actually a clear standard explaining when a notification is sufficient without having to go through the, often unwarranted time consuming, formal customer approval process.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Good morning!

Albeit checking in frequently for the very useful guidance and trove of expertise on this site, today my very first query. Indulge my naively start with a very general question and allow me to read through your first reactions before eventually switching to a more in depth discussion.

"Does every change need formal customer approval, or is it allowed/common to just inform the customer of implemented changes/upcoming changes?"
What kind of changes are you referring to? If it's product changes, who owns the designs? Please be more specific.

chris1price

Very much depends what is in your quality agreement with the customer. It is common to have three levels; customer approval required, customer notification required and no customer notification required. However where you draw the line between these is between you an the customer; and not all customers want the same thing.

Tagin

What bothers us somewhat is the expectation of a formal customer approval before any change can be introduced. I'm curious if there's actually a clear standard explaining when a notification is sufficient without having to go through the, often unwarranted time consuming, formal customer approval process.
There is no standard I am aware of. Instead, as has been mentioned, it is an agreement or understanding between you and your customer.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
my two euros here...in the Automotive...now know as Mobility field....most have a requirement contained in their Source Package or Quality Manual (using generic names here as they vary from firm to firm) called a FR or Forever Requirement...some of these same firms have chosen to make this FR part of their Formal (Engineering) Change Notice or Change Request System...regardless of nomenclature, or location, the purpose is to capture changes that do not fall within the definition of their CN or CR system....in relative terms insignificant changes...The Point, its always best to solicit customer input and keep the lines of communication open...in my experience the great suppliers among other things do exactly this...this precludes any "unforeseen surprises" and is keeping with transparency.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Dear Tagin,

Thanks for your reaction.
To your input, i see no issue in keeping our customers informed about changes, even beyond engineering topics. I believe our change management process is very solid and none of the changes we introduce are unplanned. Everything is consciously worked out and evaluated and tested prior to serial introduction. Even after full serial production we keep studying the effects of the change and move cautiously forward.
Could you please be more specific in telling us more about your situation?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
The Point, its always best to solicit customer input
Strongly disagree.
and keep the lines of communication open...
Strongly agree
in my experience the great suppliers among other things do exactly this...
In my experience, the great suppliers know from the above communication what the customers really care about, and know when it is in everyone's best interest NOT to solicit customer input because it will lead to a rabbit trail for all involved.
I've personally lost an automotive customer for sharing too much (a change to the product they buy).
I didn't lose it for the change...I lost them for being "too high maintenance" for informing them.

this precludes any "unforeseen surprises" and is keeping with transparency.
Completely agreed.

I parse the above only to point out that the boiler-plate statement "always ask" is not a good mantra.

Daring D

Starting to get Involved
Jim, as direct answers to some of your questions:
We produce a socket outlet with USB charging ports. we own the designs and development. Our OEM customers are buying a finished product on which we only adapt laser printing marking and colors of external visible parts according to their wish. The change we want to introduce is a shift form half automated to full automated injection moulding for one of the plastic parts.
I believe however, Correct me if I'm wrong, the answer to my question has been given: there's no international standard prescribing the change request/notification rules. It is a customer contract requirement and/or gentlemen's agreement based practice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Notified Body Approval of Change EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 3
R PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) Supplement - Labeling Software Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Design Change Drawing Reviews and Customer Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Change Control Form - Approval process for cross departmental communication ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R MDD Approval Route by Change of Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Change Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
S ISO13485:2016 7.3.9 design and development change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Change Control for processes & products Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Change Control Numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D Laboratories listed in the Declaration of Conformity change Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Change control on Tracking Sheet ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L Change Log in (controlled) Forms? (ISO 9001:2015) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
dgrainger Informational MHRA's Software and AI as a Medical Device Change Programme UK Medical Device Regulations 0
K Is implementing Electronic Signatures a Significant Change to the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Management of change procedure for ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
N Cleanroom Classification Change Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
D Engineering Change order vs. Change Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Change Request Documents - What's Typical These Days? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
NDesouza Management of Change (MOC) Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
H Customer Specific Change in a SaaS SAMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D GAMP CAT 5 Change Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
lanley liao Questions regarding the change of critical suppliers and key personnel Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
I What revalidation is necessary if we change parts in a WFI loop ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Y Exporting data to the cloud is a "Significant Change"? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Design Change/ECO Related Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
S Change management with FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
R Revalidation under VDmax25 following material change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Change to labelling - does it require a new 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A How can we change a device trade name in 510(k) summary? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R CB/Auditor Requiring a change in scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Notified Body Substantial Change MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Purchasing Controls on Change Management of Literature/Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A For software change - New Channel of interoperability CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
JoCam IEC 60601-1 and 60601-1-2 retest after PCBA change IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A ISO 13485 procedure change and reflect to legacy manufacture items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Time change via change of Time Zone Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
T IEC 60601-1-8:2020 Is it necessary to change the alarm melody? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Change in Constitution / Ownership of firm -------ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
U Power supply - Change From 160 to 300 Watts - Significant change? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Label change - 510(k) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5