Change Management Process

Hello All.

First time Cove post, thank you in advance for the responses. I work as a quality engineer for a contract medical device manufacturing company (ISO 13485) and I am in the process of working on our change management process. I am having a hard time generating a risk assessment template for possible changes.

ISO 14971, Medical Devices - Application of Risk Management to Medical Devices, Table E.2 provided some examples of initiating events and circumstances.

Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff
Though this won't be sent from us and rather our contracted customer, I thought this document was helpful for reference. The Figures are super helpful in this document, but I am still needing help with creating a risk-based assessment.

I was wanting to know opinions.

I am thinking personnel will complete an Engineering Change Form and then follow the Figures from the 510(k) document to help with the the flow of the change management process. Once they get to the risk-based assessment they will answer the following questions from ISO 14971 and determine the risk level. Thoughts? If anyone has a template, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
You're a CM and you're making changes to the device itself? That puts you into design controls!

If just to the manufacturing processes, do you have any kind of Process FMEA? Those normally identify ways manufacturing can fail and what the potential risks are. That NEEDS to be done in conjunction with your customer since they can only say (and have to defend) what the severity would be. If you have that, you can refer too it as to how risk is assessed.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Welcome!

Will your change management form cover everything, or one for process type changes and one geared for engineering type changes?

Do you already utilize some type of risk language to determine critical non-critical systems like… safety, efficacy, data for submissions, etc.?

You're a CM and you're making changes to the device itself? That puts you into design controls!

If just to the manufacturing processes, do you have any kind of Process FMEA? Those normally identify ways manufacturing can fail and what the potential risks are. That NEEDS to be done in conjunction with your customer since they can only say (and have to defend) what the severity would be. If you have that, you can refer too it as to how risk is assessed.
Not making changes to the device itself, just possible manufacturing process changes. I hadn't considered a FMEA as the risk assessment itself, I appreciate your input.

Welcome!

Will your change management form cover everything, or one for process type changes and one geared for engineering type changes?

Do you already utilize some type of risk language to determine critical non-critical systems like… safety, efficacy, data for submissions, etc.?
We currently have one change management form to cover everything.
I haven't found anything as such so far.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
First time Cove post, thank you in advance for the responses. I work as a quality engineer for a contract medical device manufacturing company (ISO 13485) and I am in the process of working on our change management process. I am having a hard time generating a risk assessment template for possible changes.

ISO 14971, Medical Devices - Application of Risk Management to Medical Devices, Table E.2 provided some examples of initiating events and circumstances.

Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff
Though this won't be sent from us and rather our contracted customer, I thought this document was helpful for reference. The Figures are super helpful in this document, but I am still needing help with creating a risk-based assessment.

I was wanting to know opinions.
First, you probably are aware - but just in case - it sounds like you are referencing the older 14971:2007 and not the current 14971:2019, as there is no Annex E in the current version. The corresponding table in 14971:2019 is C.1.

Second, I think some of your difficulty in creating this risk template is due to an unclear definition your company's scope of risk responsibility, which may stem an from unclear scope of your company's responsibilities relative to your customer. Both former and latter should be clarified in partnership with your customer. You do not want to take on risk responsibility that is not within your scope. This does not mean blithely ignoring risks outside of your scope, but rather that the prudent action is to inform the customer in such cases, and let them make the assessment. Presumably your customer requires their approval prior to any changes you make anyway, so in large part your role as a CM is providing them good-quality information that will feed into their risk assessment.

First, you probably are aware - but just in case - it sounds like you are referencing the older 14971:2007 and not the current 14971:2019, as there is no Annex E in the current version. The corresponding table in 14971:2019 is C.1.

Second, I think some of your difficulty in creating this risk template is due to an unclear definition your company's scope of risk responsibility, which may stem an from unclear scope of your company's responsibilities relative to your customer. Both former and latter should be clarified in partnership with your customer. You do not want to take on risk responsibility that is not within your scope. This does not mean blithely ignoring risks outside of your scope, but rather that the prudent action is to inform the customer in such cases, and let them make the assessment. Presumably your customer requires their approval prior to any changes you make anyway, so in large part your role as a CM is providing them good-quality information that will feed into their risk assessment.
Thanks for the response Tagin. You are absolutely right, I was referencing the older version. I am going to have to find 14971:2019.
You make very great points regarding the risk responsibilities. We of course do have to get prior approval to any changes and of course aren't making modifications to the device, but rather possible changes in the manufacturing process.
I am struggling where to go after personnel fills out a change management form. Should we perform a FMEA to calculate the risks and then proceed accordingly based on FMEA results? My only worry is this would take a great deal of time as there may be many change management forms requested. Would it be best to perform something similar to 14971:2019 C.1 after receiving the form request? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks for the response Tagin. You are absolutely right, I was referencing the older version. I am going to have to find 14971:2019.
You make very great points regarding the risk responsibilities. We of course do have to get prior approval to any changes and of course aren't making modifications to the device, but rather possible changes in the manufacturing process.
I am struggling where to go after personnel fills out a change management form. Should we perform a FMEA to calculate the risks and then proceed accordingly based on FMEA results? My only worry is this would take a great deal of time as there may be many change management forms requested. Would it be best to perform something similar to 14971:2019 C.1 after receiving the form request? Any suggestions?
If your customer is not giving you any other specific requirements for your change assessment, then using a FMEA seems to make sense. Presuming that you have a pFMEA for the existing process, then the change being proposed to the process should typically affect only one or a few entries in that pFMEA, and it is those few changes that you are assessing:
- what risks changes occur on these steps?
- what mitigation changes are occurring?
- what are the final risk values on these steps?

We are a CM for some medical customers, and to me, the customer is responsible for assessing these changes on a design level and hazard level. You are the experts in the manufacturing process; the customer is the expert in the design, safety assessments, legal/marketing claims, certifications, etc. of their device. When you propose a change to the customer, they want your expertise on what risks may occur on the manufacturing process, not the other areas where they have expertise and responsibility.

Finally, "My only worry is this would take a great deal of time as there may be many change management forms requested." Why are their so many process changes being requested? Is this ongoing improvements, or fixing flawed processes, customer-driven changes, etc? It raises my concern when process changes keep being requested.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
We are a CM for some medical customers, and to me, the customer is responsible for assessing these changes on a design level and hazard level. You are the experts in the manufacturing process; the customer is the expert in the design, safety assessments, legal/marketing claims, certifications, etc. of their device. When you propose a change to the customer, they want your expertise on what risks may occur on the manufacturing process, not the other areas where they have expertise and responsibility.
Very well said! This should be required reading by every CM.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Change Management, Configuration Management or Other Process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T TS 16949 compliant Change Control Management Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T When is a Change Management Process required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
T Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Change Management Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
G Management of Change Process (OHSAS) - What would an Auditor expect to see? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
K Change Management written process... is this mandatory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Change Management System - Does ISO 9001 specify you need a process flow? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Change management - process, tooling, subcontractors etc. QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
N API Q1, Management of Change & Document Change Request Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
A Management of change procedure for ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
NDesouza Management of Change (MOC) Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S Change management with FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
A Purchasing Controls on Change Management of Literature/Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M EMS change management ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Change Management vs Change Control? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
M How to implement the 4M Change Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Change management with CFDA approved devices China Medical Device Regulations 1
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
R 8.1.3 Management of change - Evidence of HIRA and related things Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
R ISO 20000 requirement about the Change Management Policy IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
J South Korea, MFDS - Medical Device Change Management Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
Q Top Management Change Prior to Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 5.1 - Management commitment verbiage change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Change Management & New Hires ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Are we an outlier for so many variations of Change Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Who can Change goals and kpi of top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Software Application for Management of Change (API 5.11) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
G Management of Change Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
somashekar 5.4.2 b) Integrity of QMS in Change Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Engineering Change Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Engineering Change Management Generic Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K How do I change management culture in regards to product? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N New to Management: Culture Change Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Change Management Toolkit Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
eldercare Does anyone have a Change Management database? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L The Perfect Engineering Change and Concessions Management System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Backsliding QMS - My office has gone through major management change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M GM Quality System Basic - Banking & Bypass Procedure in Change Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
R Change in Direction - Management decides to Outsource Manufacturing Operations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Management Notice of Change - Sample Wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Change Control Review Management Success or Effectiveness Metric Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M ITIL vs. ISO 20000 Change Management Requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3