Change of fields - Quality Engineering Electronics Vs medical Devices

Q

QE

Hello Dear Coves

I am considering a change from being a Quality Engineer from a Documentation heavy medical devices to a more technology oriented Hitech industry may be a consumer electronics or something which is less regulated and more towards core quality engineering and reliability disciplines.

Can folks from those industry advise on pros vs cons of being in to these settings. whether it is a good idea or not and help me with a strategy on how to attempt this activity ?

Thanks QE !!!
:thanks:

S

silentrunning

I will give you my perspective on this since you asked. I have been with the same manufacturing company for 40 years and have seen MANY tech companies come and go. When I started here one of our big customers was IBM and we made parts for typewriters. Millions of parts. We also made aluminum cases for police radios. Now all that product is gone. We are constantly having to upgrade our knowledge, skills and machinery. Going into manufacturing in the United States today is a **** shoot at best. The medical industry however is here to stay. It is highly regulated and competitive but it isn?t going away. If I were just starting out I would get INTO the medical products field, not out. I know there will be some that disagree with my analysis but that?s the way I see it.

Q

QE

Doug,

Thanks for replying. But after you stay in medical devices for a while, you realize that the amount of **** - documentation is very high.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I appreciate it.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Well, balance the challenges of what you're doing now, which is probably as well controlled as it can be, vs the chaotic churn of the commercial products world. If you are a chaos junkie you will thrive in the consumer / commercial environment.

But depending on your temperment and tolerance for disorder you may find yourself yearning for the old days of stability and control - have you taken any of the personality profile tests? QA in this game makes herding cats look easy.

Q

QE

Well, balance the challenges of what you're doing now, which is probably as well controlled as it can be, vs the chaotic churn of the commercial products world. If you are a chaos junkie you will thrive in the consumer / commercial environment.

But depending on your temperment and tolerance for disorder you may find yourself yearning for the old days of stability and control - have you taken any of the personality profile tests? QA in this game makes herding cats look easy.
Hello normzone,

Thanks for your insight and thoughts. No I have not taken any personality tests and will appreciate if you can advise a website where to take one.

Nirlep Sanghvi

normzone

I don't know of any, I'll look around. All the employees at my previous company took a personality profile test several years ago - I test out as extremely forthright (I'll tell everybody how I REALLY feel) and I'm highly tolerant of disorder.

My engineering staff was shocked to learn this (we all shared our results) and were concerned that this was not an ideal temperment for a QA guy. I responded with " Somebody with a low tolerance for disorder would crack if they had to work with this group ". They were not impressed, but it was true.

Q

QE

I don't know of any, I'll look around. All the employees at my previous company took a personality profile test several years ago - I test out as extremely forthright (I'll tell everybody how I REALLY feel) and I'm highly tolerant of disorder.

My engineering staff was shocked to learn this (we all shared our results) and were concerned that this was not an ideal temperment for a QA guy. I responded with " Somebody with a low tolerance for disorder would crack if they had to work with this group ". They were not impressed, but it was true.
Please let me know, I will definitely like to take one and see where I stand.

normzone

Do a google search for Meyers Briggs. The really exhaustive tests usually want some money, there's some short version tests that are free. The test results come in different formats depending on who the test authors were, and how they define various personality types.

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
The amount of rigmarole that people erect in medical device companies is predominantly up to them rather than real regulatory needs.
Cheers!

Q

QE

The amount of rigmarole that people erect in medical device companies is predominantly up to them rather than real regulatory needs.
Cheers!

True, but those decisions are made by the management. The QEs are the scape goats in the process. No one respects and No one cares either.....Ultimately they are going to keep shipping the products and make money and put it in their deep pockets.

Top Bottom