Change of procedure for handling new projects - do the ongoing ones need to follow?

G

grimmet

Dear all,

my point of departure today: a consulting company has currently 60 ongoing projects. They implemented a QMS (ISO 9001) last year. Beginning April 1st 2009 they changed their consulting procedure for new projects. Every new project is now handled by a clearly defined procedure (lets call the procedure "PRO-1"). Formerly they had a different way of handling projects, but now every (new) starting project follows the "PRO 1".

So, currently the have got

• 12 projects following the new PRO 1 and
  • 48 projects following the old procedure

Does this approach comply with ISO 9001 requirements or do all projects need to be controlled by PRO 1 to comply with ISO 9001? I mean, do they need to change all 48 "old" projects reactivly or is it okay, if only the new projects follow PRO 1?

Hope you understand.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Grimmet

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Qms

If top management published a memo that all projects starting from April 1, 2009 will follow the new procedure, then you are in conformance with the requirements of the QMS.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

...So, currently the have got

• 12 projects following the new PRO 1 and
  • 48 projects following the old procedure
Does this approach comply with ISO 9001 requirements or do all projects need to be controlled by PRO 1 to comply with ISO 9001? I mean, do they need to change all 48 "old" projects reactivly or is it okay, if only the new projects follow PRO 1?

The standard does not address it, but most auditors will expect that you pick a reasonable point and make a line in the sand. We would audit projects from that point forward, as was already said. I would add that if it is feasible, some projects already begun could drift toward the new approach, or apply the new controls, so much the better. If that is not practical, then go with the first part of the answer, and document it in one of your management meetings. It is the same approach we commonly apply to design projects.

J

Jason PCSwitches

If top management published a memo that all projects starting from April 1, 2009 will follow the new procedure, then you are in conformance with the requirements of the QMS.

This statement is correct. What you need is evidence of when the change (new procedure) was approved and the implementation (date). All projects after the implementation date will be expected to follow the new procedure. Prior projects can continue to follow the original procedure, as long as that procedure is compliant, meaning the procedure was not revised due to it being found inadequate to the standard or your QMS. If that was the case, the projects should be reviewed to ensure they are compliant anyways.

Top Bottom