Changes to OS - Significant change under MDR

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi fellow covers,

Wanted to check on something in MDCG 2020-3. Our web application (legacy device) currently runs on an old version of Ubuntu. We want to upgrade to the latest version of Redhat. Is this considered a significant change, even though Ubuntu and Redhat are both linux-like? I know the final answer will probably be check with NB, but Love to hear your thoughts, thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I expect if you ask, they can only say it is. You may want to do a risk analysis based on the changes to the OS and then make the conclusion (one way or the other). If you conclude it's not then you'll have data justifying the decision. They can still disagree but they can't argue with the approach.

My personal thought would be that yes, an OS change like you describe would be a significant change.

Junn1992

Thanks yodon once again for the great replies regarding software questions!

Time for us to bring forward the MDR transition I guess...either we do it proactively, or the NB points this out during next surveillance, and that wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
How much codebase do you have to rewrite?

I think you have two options, ask for forgiveness or permission.
In the first option, go ahead with the changes, document your rationale that it's not a significant change and hope your NB doesn't see it until you upgrade to MDR or does not make stink about it. If they do, be prepared to either pull the product or roll-back the OS.
Option 2 is to write up strong justification and try to sell it to your NB before you implement it.

You have to weigh the risk.

Junn1992

NB doesn't see it until you upgrade to MDR
This is probably not possible as our NB is pretty good and reviews technical documentation during surveillance as well. In our specs, the OS is declared, so it's quite an obvious change.

If they do, be prepared to either pull the product or roll-back the OS.
Most probably product pull as unable to roll-back after

How much codebase do you have to rewrite?
According to IT guy there's a change to architecture as well, so it dosen't pass question 2 in Flowchart C of MDCG 2020-3 anyways, but management is focussed on the OS question for now.

Thanks for your comments! =)

mihzago

yea, I didn't think the first option would be viable, but I always like to present and consider all possible options.
If you have to rewrite the code and it also affects the architecture then I don't see how you could justify this change as not significant.

Junn1992

Additional question: does MDCG 2020-3 apply to MDR devices as well? So 'significant change' to MDR certified devices is also assessed using the same criteria?

mihzago

In the absence of a guidance document for devices under the MDR, MDSG 2020-3 and NBOG BPG 2014-3 Guidance for manufacturers and Notified Bodies on reporting of Design Changes and Changes of the Quality System, are probably your best bet.
It's also good to check with the NB, because often each has different interpretation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Are we getting scammed by our Notified Body? They are asking to review all changes to determine if they are Significant CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
G Significant changes on MDD devices/Old Devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Catch up 510(k) - Non-significant changes were made Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Reporting Significant Medical Device Changes to Argentina's ANMAT Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C Significant changes between EN80079-34 and EN 13980:2002 which it replaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D QS9000 third edition - Do APQP, FMEA and PPAP have any significant changes QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
L ISO 20417 crucial changes Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek 60601-1-11 Changes IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J Document Changes that don't have to be approved Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Sidney Vianna Informational Changes to Terms and Definitions in ISO/TC 176 Standards since ISO 9000:2015 was issued. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
Moncia Changes to procedure communication ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Changes in ETSI EN 301-48-17 v3.2.4 2020 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
J Managing design verification regression testing of design changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D License annual renewal - What changes to report to HC? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R What are the new changes in EN ISO 11137-1:2015+A2:2019? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Making changes to IDE device Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Handling design changes with use-as-is inventory disposition Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Class 1 and 2 changes in CM standards (aerospace industry) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
S Class 1 vs Class 2 changes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
P Interim Order Authorization Changes Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
R Changes vs CMO - How can we simplify this process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Ed Panek What are the limits on manufacturing changes and substantial changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Hospital Rebrand & Name changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M IEC 62304 Software changes - Minor labeling changes on the GUI IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Aymaneh ISO 11607-1: 2019 main changes Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
F Medical Devices - Hong Kong - Post approval changes regulation (China's MOH) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Medical Devices-South Africa _Post approval changes and Software Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
NDesouza When Customers Make Changes to Orders Contract Review Process 24
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M What are the changes in supervising according to ISO17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
M Informational New Zealand – Changes to Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0