Changing a suppliers behaviour - Aware of environmental issues

M

Mikaela

Hi everyone!

Last time I posted a thread I was a student but those days are gone and I´m now the MR at a company which manufactures PCs (I began this job last week). We are certified for both 9002 and 14001.

After just one week I have realized that I have one big challenge in front of me and that is to try and make our suppliers more aware of environmental issues. We get so much excessive materials such as for example plastic and both we and the environment would be happier without it.

The problem is that we are probably too small to make an influence on some of our big suppliers. Another issue is that we are very far ahead in Sweden regarding laws within the environmental field. Our suppliers in for example Taiwan may not have heard of the information we sometimes ask for.

One good thing would be if all the customers to one supplier demanded the same thing. Together we can make a difference. But I don´t know. Does anyone have any experience in "changing" a suppliers behaviour in favor for the environment?

I can add that we ask for Environmental Declarations on a regular basis so that we can make sure that at least our product´s are ok. We also use these forms to evaluate our suppliers.

I´m grateful for any replies, I have 1000 more questions but I`ll start slowly so you dont get sick of this incompetent young girl... ;)

Mikaela

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Ford has a great deal of experience dealing with suppliers. "Don't do 14K, we won't spend money!"

The best thing to do is not alienate anybody.

Send them info on your EMS and policy.

Advise them of your wishes.

Make them aware of the potential benefits of conformance.

Stipulate your requirements in contractural instruments.

Specify backbilling for disposal of excess material above contract stipulations.

“I`ll start slowly so you dont get sick of this incompetent young girl”

First of all, if you understand you are incompetent, then you probably are not! (at least not for long)

Secondly, one of the key things to remember is you can only do what you can do. You can’t force your will on organizations that are more powerful than you. Randy made some excellent points, but I would like to add that you also need to know when to use tact, and when to use muscle.

Dave B (the other Dave)

C

cheahga

Hi Mikaela,

You could add in one of the environmental column in your supplier performance evaluation.

Also, a site audit will be beneficial for supplier environmental awareness.

Hope this help.

thanks,

bye

Hi Mikaela,

I would suggest that you talk with your suppliers about reducing their packaging materials and other items that would reduce your waste. You might point out that this would save them money in the purchase and shipping of your orders. I realize that this might not work if you are a very small customer for them and they have one standard way of doing things, but it would get them thinking of ways to save money and reduce their impact on the environment.

The interesting part is that ISO 14001 and the Environment may never be brought up in your conversation.:vfunny:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Change Control Requirements when changing Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J PPAP Requirements - Suppliers who are changing their Suppliers APQP and PPAP 7
G Changing Non-Critical Component Suppliers - Convenience kits (FDA) Procedure packs Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
R Changing Suppliers - Customer (GM) PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 6
S Customer Notification/PPAP when Changing Raw Material Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Clothes changing in pharmaceutical factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Kuldeep Singh Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K Changing from Procedure based to Process based Competency Evaluations General Auditing Discussions 5
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Marc Email Addresses - Changing your email address Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
supadrai OEM Changing the name of the manufacturer - length of process? Is 1-3 months correct? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D Changing Templates Approval Field Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Changing software classification via software - IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
L MINITAB 17 - Changing Data Using Minitab Software 3
S Process validation when changing location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D CAPA vs. Risk Assessment - Changing a product material for better performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Changing Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Keeping track of the changing Medical Device Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Changing of our New Hire Orientation Training Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
A Changing a Form Template & Updating Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
Q Changing Terminology in ISO 9001:2015 - Documentation Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Changing Indication of Use for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Changing out Thermocouple - Is new calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Rules to respect when changing from Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
MDD_QNA Clinical data requirements - Changing a Class I Medical Device to Class II EU Medical Device Regulations 5
shimonv Changing the Label of a Medical Device product in the field Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
E Information required about changing an off shelf part 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Changing FMEA template to include Detection Ranking for the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
WCHorn Changing Sampling Accept Number to Zero, Arbitrarily AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
M Amending CFDA Registration for changing site of shipment China Medical Device Regulations 2
S Gage R&R on Potentially Changing Parts - Guidance Needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Re-registration of medical device in Russia - "changing holder" Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R Changing CE Mark on Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Changing the Auditor within a Notified Body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Changing Notified Body - Anyone have stories to share CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
R Changing ISO 9001 Certification Scope Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
W Depth Gage Spindle moved when changing Contact Point Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
M Changing a Chinese Legal Agent China Medical Device Regulations 5
B Changing dimensional tolerances to approve rejected product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2