Changing ISO 9001 registrars (second triennial)?

C

chennad

Anyone have any experience to share regarding changing their registrar for ISO 9001. I have my second triennial this summer and at least want to consider other registrar's.

Is this a big deal? I'm really only worried about two things: Cost and maybe Finding a new auditor that makes me crazy. UL seems very expensive.

I think my last auditor is out of the picture from the UL/DQS reorg.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Change ISO 9001 registrar's?

Anyone have any experience to share regarding changing their registrar for ISO 9001. I have my second triennial this summer and at least want to consider other registrar's.

Is this a big deal? I'm really only worried about two things: Cost and maybe Finding a new auditor that makes me crazy. UL seems very expensive.

I think my last auditor is out of the picture from the UL/DQS reorg.
Changing Registrars is not that difficult. The Registrar you are switching to most likely will handle the transfer.

The costs will be close to each other, but try these Registrars (not in order of preference):

NQA-USA

DNV

ASR

The above Registrars are ones that I am currently working with or have worked with during the Registration process.

Here is BSI website. I haven't used them before, but they can be as good as the others I have worked with.

BsI Global

Disclaimer: I do not work for any of the Registrars listed above. Nor Affiliated in any way.

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Changing registrars should not be more difficult than finding one for the first time around. Certainly one should compare costs, and it's okay to see if you can find out about their turnover rates. Getting a new registrar can feel like a grab bag, and you may not care much for the auditor they say works in your area. I have read advice to get a registrar who feels like a good fit. I am not sure how that would happen without their providing this for-fee service.

Transfers of CB happen all the time. If you have an accredited certificate, then there's a no-visit transfer option, and the CB will pick up at the next scheduled visit. They should provide a quote if requested. You will be required to provide certain information about the health of your management system.

On the subject of selection of an auditor, while that's important we must not forget that basing selection on one person is only part of the story. It's true the relationship is important and that, as people, we don't all get along, but an auditor can leave, or be sick. What's most important is how the auditor is selected and qualified to minimize the risk to you of a 'goofy' auditor.

I'd also suggest you discuss other facets of customer service and the total 'picture' of what you expect from a CB.

J

JaneB

It's not difficult at all.

In fact, if more companies only understood how easy and straightforward it is or can be, they might leave poor CBs more often and move to better CBs.

It's an International Standard. If you hold certification to an IS with one registrar, you can switch to another if and when you choose. There is usuallly no/little extra cost involved, but it pays to check out the best way and time to do it.

(The only time it can be a bit tricky - and reasonably so - is if you have outstanding nonconformities. As you'd appreciate any new CB needs to establish that you're not just 'CB shopping' to avoid dealing with them).

T

Ted Schmitt

We just changed over after spending 10 years with our previous CB. The change was great. New "views" from different people.

Things where getting a little to "friendly". Sometimes the auditor would even offer to go around by himself to the next process to be audited since he already had been a few times....

We changed over when our 3 year contract ended. Included another location and migrated to 2008 version....

Last edited by a moderator:
A

amanbhai

We have been changing our CB every 3 years & Its good. New auditor, different views always help.
Only yesterday I requested information from other CB. :thanks:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Changing Terminology in ISO 9001:2015 - Documentation Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Changing ISO 9001 Certification Scope Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Changing an ISO 9001 Compliant Manual to an ISO 3834-2 Compliant Manual Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
G Revision number when changing over to ISO 9001 edition 2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 Transition - Changing documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
F Changing material without a granted change request, ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Casana Auditor changing ISO 9001 AUDIT scope midstream - Cannot exclude all of 7.3 anymore General Auditing Discussions 26
Marc Upgrading to ISO 9001:2000 - Changing Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F Changing the Frequency of Internal Audits - ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 5
M Impact of changing ISO 13485 registrar / notified body on Chinese SFDA approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Notified Body References and Reviews - Changing ISO 13485 Registrars EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Ownership of ISO 13485:2003 company changing - Anyone to update? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Changing scope in TS/ISO 16949 to include design - Will DFMEAs be required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Z ISO / TS16949 Quality Manual needed - Changing from QS9000 to ISO / TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
L "Maintain a procedure" vs. procedures ISO 14001:2004 - Changing our EMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Changing UK Responsible Person UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Changing PCB Assembler and impact on QMS and MDD CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B How to change hour format to text but not changing the number ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
A Changing Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Traceability after changing the machine IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Changing Investigational Device from Non-Sterile to Sterile - what are the implications? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
S Changing revision status of a reviewed document Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Clothes changing in pharmaceutical factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K Changing from Procedure based to Process based Competency Evaluations General Auditing Discussions 5
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Marc Email Addresses - Changing your email address Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
supadrai OEM Changing the name of the manufacturer - length of process? Is 1-3 months correct? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D Changing Templates Approval Field Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Changing software classification via software - IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
L MINITAB 17 - Changing Data Using Minitab Software 3
S Process validation when changing location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Don Fardie CAPA vs. Risk Assessment - Changing a product material for better performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Changing Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Keeping track of the changing Medical Device Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Changing of our New Hire Orientation Training Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
A Changing a Form Template & Updating Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
V Changing Indication of Use for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2