Changing PFMEA (Process FMEA) RPN Values based on a Rejection

M

mack1

My boss is asking me to go in and change RPN values on the PFMEA based on a rejection. Can I do this since the PPAP has already been signed off at the customer? Would I have to resubmit the PPAP for customer approval if I change any of the documents? What is the appropriate tool to use here?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
My boss is asking me to go in and change RPN values on the PFMEA based on a rejection. Can I do this since the PPAP has already been signed off at the customer? Would I have to resubmit the PPAP for customer approval if I change any of the documents? What is the appropriate tool to use here?

Because you're referring to changing the RPN value(s) rather than adding a new failure mode, I assume that the failure mode in question is already part of the PFMEA document. If that's the case, and the Occurrence and Detection values are still valid, you shouldn't have to change anything. On the other hand, if you've found that your O and D values weren't accurate, you should update the PFMEA but unless your customer(s) have specific requirements to the contrary, there is no requirement for notification or resubmission.

M

mack1

Since we are not seeing a pattern of rejections and most are an isolated occurrence, I feel the RPN numbers are relatively accurate. Should this be addressed using an internal corrective action or some other means. We do post Quality Alerts when a rejection happens and if I adjust the RPN number to be higher, wouldn't a corrective action be issued to address the higher RPN number anyway? What satisfies a TS audit?

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Since we are not seeing a pattern of rejections and most are an isolated occurrence, I feel the RPN numbers are relatively accurate. Should this be addressed using an internal corrective action or some other means. We do post Quality Alerts when a rejection happens and if I adjust the RPN number to be higher, wouldn't a corrective action be issued to address the higher RPN number anyway? What satisfies a TS audit?

To update Occurrence rating every time when rejection occurs is uncalled for. What could be verified upfront is whether the rejection overshoots the set target. If it does, you may have to kick off a Corrective action process. Once Corrective actions are identified, FMEA could be updated to identify risk in the actions planned.
As for review of ratings where no Corrective action is planned, this could be done in an appropriate frequency agreed within your Organization with an eye on Customer requirements as well.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

No need for re-submission of PPAP. If you check the related AIAG Blue Book you can see what the reason are according to guideline, unless you have signed and agreed something different with your customer.
As to FMEA, I would suggest to also check the current control plan, if it needs to embody eventual new controls coming from the FMEA analysis.

Top Bottom