Changing Terminology in ISO 9001:2015 - Documentation Content

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody

Regarding the changes in terminology in 9001 2015.

My case, I have a 2008 system, and have been using the current terminology
e.g.
PRO-MS-001 Control of documents and records, also I mention this in the quality manual.
Other cases, “external provider” instead of “supplier” and “applicability” instead of “exclusion.”, etc.

Question:
Do we have to change all the old terminology on documents, now in 2015?

E.g. PRO-MS-001 Documented information

would it be a reason for an auditor to raise a nc if is not changed?

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Changing terminology in ISO 9001 2015?

I see no reason to change terminology if the subjects are the same and people are comfortable with current terms. A supplier is still a supplier... the TC just wanted to make clear (as too many did not realize) it also means services such as calibration.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Super Moderator

I see no reason to change terminology if the subjects are the same and people are comfortable with current terms. A supplier is still a supplier... the TC just wanted to make clear (as too many did not realize) it also means services such as calibration.
I think it goes beyond that. Some external providers of processes and functions that affect an organization's quality system are not a typical supplier, vendor. For example, a corporate function that does all the procurement, supplier qualification, product design, customer call centers, etc. These, as well, are external providers.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions

Should not be an issue as you are protected under general Section 0.1 of 9001. This section states: “It is not the intent of this International Standard to imply the need for:

- uniformity in the structure of different quality management systems;
- alignment of documentation to the clause structure of this International Standard;
- the use of the specific terminology of this International Standard within the organization.”

[FONT=&quot]Should the auditor go off the rails during the audit point this section out to him/her and politely request he/she stay within the scope of the audit.[/FONT]

Stijloor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
ISO 9000:2015 is a useful document:

Look at Page 12.

provider
supplier
organization (3.2.1) that provides a product (3.7.6) or a service (3.7.7)

EXAMPLE Producer, distributor, retailer or vendor of a product or a service.

Note 1 to entry: A provider can be internal or external to the organization.

Note 2 to entry: In a contractual situation, a provider is sometimes called “contractor”.

external provider
external supplier
provider (3.2.5) that is not part of the organization (3.2.1)

EXAMPLE Producer, distributor, retailer or vendor of a product (3.7.6) or a service (3.7.7)

Last edited: