Chaos at Audit Time - Why can't people just follow timelines?

Am I the only one that goes through this at audit time?

• YES - You fool, get a life

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No - We never had that problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe- Just never noticed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E

Edith

Is it just me, or is 3 week before audit time, ABSOLUTE chaos!!!!

No one wants to speak to me, include me, etc. for 11 months of the year... But then, wham a month before audits, and they all want you..... They want you bad, and they finally decide it's time to look at their procedures and review... dahhhhhhhhhhhh

Why can't people just follow timelines? Why wait till the last min???

Ok thanks for listening, I needed that... 17 hour days are just getting to me..

Is it just me???:frust: :frust: :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

Given the alternative of blissful ignorance, you should be happy that they are at least aware that they need to do something and want to do it.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You're lucky if that's the only time you experience the chaos you describe. You''re also lucky that they come to you at all - even just before the audit.

My question is what are they coming to you for? What do you do for them?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I didn't vote because the options didn't make sense to me (too early in the morning, perhaps).

We go through the same thing twice a year at the surveillance audits. Sometimes it's only the week before the audit when people decide that something needs to be "upgraded" and the day before .... there's just no way to get the things done that are requested.

The biggest problem, from my point of view, is that the production floor will change something on the fly, with all good intentions of updating procedures and documents, but then don't seem to get "a round tuit". Something clicks at audit time and there are six departments all needing things updated.

I guess my vote would be "NO - You're not alone".

Bill

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: I just need to know I'm not alone..

Edith said:

Why can't people just follow timelines? Why wait till the last min???
frust: :frust: :frust:
Welcome to the wonderful world of quality management! Why do people wait till the last minute. I have some opinions:
Overworked
Not motivated
Don't understand the program
Lazy
Dumb
Dumber
Just plain stupid:bonk:

You are not alone. Most of us get it somewhere along the line. If you are just starting out, things will probably get better as you have more surveillance audits. People tend to fear the unknown.

A

Aaron Lupo

Ahhhh yes the chaos before the audit what a joy. Not only do the people I work with freak when we have our ISO audit, but they freak when we have customers come in to do follow up on the audit they did the year before.

We actually had a QA Manager that told our ISO auditors, yes we scramble around about a week before you guys come in to clean up things around here.

So no you are not alone it is a very common thing to ignore the QA dept. until they need something or their a$$ needs to be covered, but hey that is what they pay us for.:bigwave:

E

Edith

Ahhhh, the famous last words... "This too shall pass".
We received certification last year, so this is surveillance 1. Yes, it's fresh... I mean, I might as well taken vacation for 11 months.

I like Steel Maiden's response, but wasn't sure that maybe my expectations of people were too high.

What do I do for them??? Hmmm The work!:bonk: I have to review their procedures, tell them what they are missing or should do etc.

To top it off the employees come to me saying what is ALL of these changes all of a sudden.... Was the quality department just sitting on this for 11 months??? How do I tell them that the timeline stated completion July?
Edith

C

Carl Exter

Life?

We have a little activity prior to audits, but we've been registered to the ISO standard since 1996 so it's better now. I guess it does pass as the system matures.

But gee, Edith. 17 hour days?? confused: It's not my place to say, but regarding the "get a life" option you posted on your poll... I would say: YES! If it takes that much time to get everything done, then perhaps you'd want to discuss provision of resources with the top management. Or I'd update the resume... I feel for you. Good luck!:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chennaiite Chaos --> Bird's eye view, simplify & visualize Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc US east coast in chaos following rare October snowstorm - 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
D Understanding variation/managing chaos - What is Variation in the numbers? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Help!! Design Chaos Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 26
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
M Any way to execute VDA 6.3 audit remotely? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1