Checking Perpendicularity without using a CMM

D

Dawn

Can someone give me some guidance on checking perpendicularity with something besides a CMM?

D

DICKIE

Dawn,
Could you provide a little more information on what you are checking

Dickie

B

Big Red

We use a V-block and Indicator when we don't use the CMM.
We usually only use the CMM when we are checking parts for PPAP.

D

Dawn

That's what we are using and putting a snug fitting pin in the ID of the gear and then running the indicator off the face. Are we on the right track? (Thanks!)

D

Dawn

That's what we are using and putting a snug fitting pin in the ID of the gear and then running the indicator off the face. Are we on the right track? (Thanks!)

S

Steven Truchon

Assuming that the form of the hole is good enough to provide a stable datum axis and the hole/pin fit has no obvious play to distort your measurement, you are on a very solid track in my opinion.

D

DICKIE

Steven is correct about the pin and hole. I believe this method is superior to almost any other. Just make sure every compoment of MTE is calibrated.

J

Jeremy S

If the item being checked is a simple right angle, you can check it with an indi-square and an indicator of the necessary accuracy. Setup the object to be checked on a surface plate, and run the indicator (attached to the indi-square) up and down the surface you are checking.

Any further questions on this method, email me at [email protected]

Top Bottom