Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourced

I have recently had an issue pop up dealing with thread gages, specifically thread rings. We machine components with external NPSM and BSP threads in house as well as have outside vendors do some to alleviate our work load. The problem is a discrepancy in the threads that are machined in house vs. on the outside.

Internally, we have master setting plugs for all of our Go and NoGo thread rings. We also use these rings to check parts incoming from outside suppliers. We are running into issues at receiving inspection where a supplier's parts do not fit our thread rings. However, I have had one supplier in particular come in to discuss the discrepancy, and he brought along his thread rings that he uses for inspection. The fit the parts perfectly. He also brought along copies of his certifications from an accredited calibration lab showing the his rings fall within the allowable limits of the particular thread size. The certs they had showed that their thread rings were set close to the high limit of the tolerance, but still within tolerance. I don't have a number to equate to the rings we use in house, so I can't compare apples to apples, but would suspect that we have our rings set internally toward the lower end of the tolerance range.

Our purchasing department is going crazy (and I agree) because we cannot reject parts that fit a gage that has been confirmed as being the correct size, but also do not pass our internal checks. The only solution I can see (at least for the near future until I can do some more research into this) is to have the supplier send us their ring gages and have them set to our master setting plugs to make sure there is agreement between the gages. However, I also realize we are not in the business of setting gages/being a gage lab.

As I see it, if I do it for one supplier, then I need to do it for all my suppliers who machine threads for us, which is something I really don't want to end up doing. Just wondering if anyone else has run into a similar problem and how they may have resolved it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Re: Checking Threads

If your company doesn't mind doing it I would send out yours and your supplier's and find exactly how different they are from each other. You might find a difference between them that highlights something.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Re: Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourc

I forgot to mention. If you have a comparator and some Repro rubber you can check the ring gages yourself and get some good info. If you're talking plug gages have you wired them to see where they are?

Re: Checking Threads

If your company doesn't mind doing it I would send out yours and your supplier's and find exactly how different they are from each other. You might find a difference between them that highlights something.
I had actually suggested doing that and was met with "why would we need to do that, we know how to set our rings" from the head of the metrology lab, so I'm not sure how much more I can more that stone without going over people's heads. It's almost like talking to someone from the accounting dept. :rolleyes:

Re: Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourc

I forgot to mention. If you have a comparator and some Repro rubber you can check the ring gages yourself and get some good info. If you're talking plug gages have you wired them to see where they are?
I actually did have the plugs wired. They did fall within the allowable range, though I do recall them trending toward one end of the range (I forget the exact measurement without having the report in front of me).

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions

Some thoughts come to mind based on same experience. Here a few questions to ask and comments:

a) Have your set plugs been calibrated by an outside lab what do the certifications show?
b) What thread class is specified on drawing and are both your and your supplier’s gages meeting it? If unspecified that could be an issue.
c) What tread standard is in play here? If one gage meets a British thread standard and the other a U.S. thread standard the gages have deference in thread fit even if they are the same thread call out.
d) Your gage could have barreled threads meaning the center of the thread form is bigger like this () or a drunken thread form.

How we solved this was to send both our and our suppliers gages out to gage manufactures lab who analyzed them. In our case our gages were found unacceptable because they had drunken threads.

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource

Also, if we are talking large threads, it could be temperature variation between you and the supplier. You should send your gages to his floor for a little while and see what comes of it.

Some thoughts come to mind based on same experience. Here a few questions to ask and comments:

a) Have your set plugs been calibrated by an outside lab what do the certifications show?
b) What thread class is specified on drawing and are both your and your supplier’s gages meeting it? If unspecified that could be an issue.
c) What tread standard is in play here? If one gage meets a British thread standard and the other a U.S. thread standard the gages have deference in thread fit even if they are the same thread call out.
d) Your gage could have barreled threads meaning the center of the thread form is bigger like this () or a drunken thread form.

How we solved this was to send both our and our suppliers gages out to gage manufactures lab who analyzed them. In our case our gages were found unacceptable because they had drunken threads.
Yes, we do send the master plugs out on an annual basis. The last cert from August of 2016 shows that it (the setting plug in question) is riding right at the low end limit. This particular one is a 1¼-11½ NPSM, but it would also apply to other NPSM and BSPP threads.

Also, I just found out that our internal thread rings are adjustable, while a couple of our suppliers have solid rings. Is there a preferable style of gage to use? Or should an adjustable ring and solid ring be interchangeable when it comes to making the accept/reject decision. I haven't researched it yet, but my initital thought is that it shouldn't matter.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions

Yes, we do send the master plugs out on an annual basis. The last cert from August of 2016 shows that it (the setting plug in question) is riding right at the low end limit. This particular one is a 1¼-11½ NPSM, but it would also apply to other NPSM and BSPP threads.

Also, I just found out that our internal thread rings are adjustable, while a couple of our suppliers have solid rings. Is there a preferable style of gage to use? Or should an adjustable ring and solid ring be interchangeable when it comes to making the accept/reject decision. I haven't researched it yet, but my initital thought is that it shouldn't matter.
It always has been my preference to use adjustable.

I am assuming the associated drawing for this thread is calling out the requirement to meet ANSI B 1.20.1. If not, gaging by suppliers could be based on British Standard Pipe (PSP) or one of the ISO variants. BSP is not always the same thread requirements as ANSI

Assuming that you have thread specification and suppliers gages meet the same then it down to an issue of the thread form which will require verification of all gaging used (yours and suppliers) to determine why there is a problem.

I use a MasterScanner in our calibration lab to check both thread gages and thread rings. One of the biggest problems that i have seen pop up in measuring thread gaging is the flank angles. If you use the three wire method, then the angles of the flanks can sit the wires either higher or lower in the thread, and give you a different pitch diameter.

We had a lot of problems correlating our supermic/ULM numbers to the MasterScanner until we realized that the PDs that give us problems between the two methods are always correlated to the gages that have bad flank angles.

As far as the adjustable vs solid ring discussion goes, i lean more towards solid. If you really think about it, a split ring is more tri lobed than cylindrical. The southern style gages are oval. So even though you can effectively set them to a plug, your contact points on the part will be smaller, and it will wear quicker than full contact.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Through-Hole Electronics - Checking Lead Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Design of fixture checking including Position of hole and slot General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Checking status of Medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
O Clamps in checking fixtures used to drive datum features. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Checking flatness with Go and No Go Jig Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Checking Fixture for Stamping Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Checking Gages In and Out and Verifying Calibration Status Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
R Weight Sets for Checking Table Balances Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
E Methods in Measuring Angles or Checking Angles for tools? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
N Survey about Attribute Gage and Sight Checking R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V Checking for Oversize Hole - Dimensioning question APQP and PPAP 7
J Micro Tubing Concentricity Checking using Crosshairs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Checking runout in reference to 2 datums Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F Besides using the CMM - Checking perpendicularity between a plane and an OD Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L GD&T Bonus Tolerance - Checking True Position of a Pierced Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Checking True Position with Pin Gage Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
J Checking Variance/Normality of my two Samples (question) Using Minitab Software 2
F Calibration Reports for Wood Checking Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K Verification, Validation or Checking? Definition of the word "Checked" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Error of 30 microns checking a Ring Gauge on a CMM Machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
D Laser Micrometer for checking Thickness of Steel - Any Recommendations or Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K True Position Checking such as Bolt Hole Position w.r.t Center Bore on Wheels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Checking the Theoretical Sharp of a Flush Head Bolt on an Optical Comparator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Inspection Equipment for Checking Serrated Steel Tubing Depths Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Checking Rib Thickness on a Part and Necessary Process Controls Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Checking the Homogeneity of the Variance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Ajit Basrur Checking in on Saturn - Good pictures ! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T AQL Difference in Checking LCD Pins AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
G Dispute - Checking a thin walled, round, hollow part with micrometer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
L PPAP List Requirements - Molds, Tools or the Checking Tools? APQP and PPAP 5
D Good source for Checking and Evaluating Control Plans needed FMEA and Control Plans 4
J Surprise - And Hello - Just Checking In Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
A Optical Magnification Checking Graticule - Starrett 400-360 (P-10089) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Go/No-go Length Gauges - Length checking of beam assemblies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Why control of records in checking section? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
M Checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture - Air Gaging question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Jim Wynne Virus Hoaxes or, What Ever Happened to Fact-Checking? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
R Checking (Calibrating) Truncated Thread Set Plugs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Checking work question - How do you check your work? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Tolerance Stacking or Tolerance Chart - Checking manufacturing print tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Checking Profile Tolerance on CMM's Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C How long does it take to clear back ground checking? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
T Checking Contractors for Charity Organisation Service Industry Specific Topics 5
L Asking for AQL for checking 5 liters can AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Y PFMEA detection value for checking C of C in receiving inspection FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Gage R&R for Checking Fixture with multiple check points Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6