China CM's (Contract Manufacturer) for Electronics

1Noob

Does anyone have any experience with China CM's(Contract Manufacture) for electronics?

Anything I have to look out for?

Suggestions?

Company wants to build a new product over there not sure what to look out for.

Looking for :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: China CM's for Electronics

Presume CM = Contract Manufacturer.

Definitely lots to look out for! One experience we had was with a US-based company that outsourced the injection molding, extrusion, machining, etc. We asked for some qualification material; e.g., an ISO cert and, as best I can tell, was forged. We would call them out on some issues with it (e.g., scope, expiration date, etc.) and it would magically change.

Similar stories (2nd hand) about materials used / falsifying CoCs to use lower grade materials (plastics, metals). This goes hand-in-hand with all the news reports of lead-based paint being used, carcinogens in fabrics, etc.

We had a parts rep tell us that there's a huge industry over there that takes old electronics boards, scavenges the parts (resistors, etc.) and packages them as new. I think even the DoD has been stung by this.

One of my clients is using a very reputable firm in China and they've been very happy with the work, the professionalism, and the quality. So it's not all doom and gloom. You just have to take appropriate care to identify the good ones.

G

garyccchen

I am in China and has ever worked as CM Director for an american company in recent years. Let me know what you are looking for.

1Noob

Presume CM = Contract Manufacturer.

Definitely lots to look out for! One experience we had was with a US-based company that outsourced the injection molding, extrusion, machining, etc. We asked for some qualification material; e.g., an ISO cert and, as best I can tell, was forged.

Really forged... :mg:

Well they just sent me there cert... ill have to look at it closely...

What type of Questions would you ask?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator

Really forged... :mg:

Well they just sent me there cert... ill have to look at it closely...

What type of Questions would you ask?

The cert should have a number traceable to a reputable registrar. That's the best way. Look at the scope of the registration and be sure it covers the scope of the work for which you're contracting. If you can swing it, conduct an on-site audit.

(P.S. I actually arranged an on-site audit through a trusted Cove member so be aware of all the resources available!)

Top Bottom