Choice of FDA reviewer

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
I would like to start a discussion and to see what are your experiences regarding the FDA reviewers and their team.

For example, for the first device, we got a great reviewer, it was really easy working with him.

We did a few Q-Subs, also great cooperation.

However, recently we have been getting the same reviewer for a couple of products, and things are not going so great.

I wonder how they decide who will get the product for the review if they give it to the same reviewer because of the familiarity with the company or is there something else?

Your answers will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
My experience is the FDA tries to keep the same reviewers with devices. Our current reviewer is very unresponsive but we take that as a good thing since our 60 day period for our 510(k) is coming up in a week.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
My experience is the FDA tries to keep the same reviewers with devices. Our current reviewer is very unresponsive but we take that as a good thing since our 60 day period for our 510(k) is coming up in a week.
Ed, thanks for the response.

We were hoping for the same outcome, but then, a couple of days prior to the 90-days period, we got an additional information request. I hope it doesn't happen to you as well. :)

Watchcat

Some reviewers are "better" than others. Some reviewers and companies are better fits than others. Plus, we are in the middle of a pandemic and FDA is in the middle of a political firestorm. It already advised industry it can't commit to MDUFA timelines. Your previous reviewer may have been overloaded at the time your submission came in. Do you know if they are still with the FDA? Still in the same position?

Watchcat

My experience is the FDA tries to keep the same reviewers with devices.
Same devices yes, but my read is that this is not the same device, but other devices, same company. My experience is that you will often be assigned different reviewers for different devices. I think this is because reviewers are usually assigned to submissions, not to companies.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Some reviewers are "better" than others. Some reviewers and companies are better fits than others. Plus, we are in the middle of a pandemic and FDA is in the middle of a political firestorm. It already advised industry it can't commit to MDUFA timelines. Your previous reviewer may have been overloaded at the time your submission came in. Do you know if they are still with the FDA? Still in the same position?
Oh, the first encounter was in the pre-pandemic world. :)
It was for one product, software-based, but we continued to get the same reviewer, even if it's not the same product anymore (it's still a software, though).

mihzago

I've had the same reviewer for the last 2 submissions but for one I recently sent have a new one, so it's hard to say who you'll get.

As others have said, FDA assigns based on availability, but possibly also to train reviewers on different devices. Attrition rates at the FDA are pretty high.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Supplier choice limitation - Many of them dont have PSCR, VDA or even ISO 9001 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
V Making a choice of Simple vs Comprehensiveness of Procedure/System of any Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N How to Stop Packaging Choice Mistakes on a Form Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Wes Bucey Emerging industries and markets as a career choice Career and Occupation Discussions 5
M SPC software Measurlink7 - Good choice? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Best value for choice/money - Smart phone vs tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Sidney Vianna Do you scrutinize your supplier's choice of certification body (registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
J Choice of Control Limits - Customer wants to control at 4.5 sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
J Stores and Dispatch Training - Multiple choice questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Stijloor Chrysler names Denso its first 'Supplier of Choice' World News 1
U Some MCQ (muitiple choice questions) QA questions.... Software Quality Assurance 1
C Graph Choice For Monitoring DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and ELF's (Early Life Failures) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Tim Folkerts DOE: Choosing a Design - Factors that affect the choice of design The Reading Room 0
C Everything Calibration Multiple Choice Test Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Is component engineering a good choice? Would age (in US) be a problem? Career and Occupation Discussions 0
N Vendor performance tracking - Software of choice? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
A TS 16949 Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R TS 16949 becoming automotive standard of choice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
J FDA regulation on decorative contact lenses Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Writing a presubmission to the FDA prior to the De novo submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
Z Iterative development and FDA change requests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 12
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Clarifying FDA definition of "finished device" and “capable of functioning” 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
JoCam FDA Registration for Sub-contract manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M FDA News FDA Releases Draft Guidance Clarifying Application of ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Standard Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0