Choosing a Higher EER Air Conditioner

S

sati1234

I am choosing one of 2 AC unit, both 15 ton, whether a 12 EER or 11 EER is the decision i have to make. Am i saving any energy by going to the 12 EER one??

12 EER Rating unit, Cooling capacity 172000btuh 14.3KW
11 EER Rating Unit, cooling capacity 159000btuh 14.5KW

THERE IS HARDLY
0.2 DIFFERENCE IN KW RATING but the price is $6000 difference.

11 EER unit 120120 KWH Electricity cost Per YR = $9879.89
12 EER unit 121800 KWH Electricity cost Per YR = $10,036.32
Saving when i move to a 12 EER rating unit is $138.43

Look like I am saving 140 dollar/year for 8400 hrs (50 WK's, 7 days, 24 hrs) if the cost of electricity is 0.08 cents /KWH. My question is the payback time is extremely high..??? Whats wrong here..Can anyone assist..

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
The first thing to look at is the sizing of the unit-do not want to overcool or undercool. The size of the house is an important factor but many over look how well it is insulated (attic, walls, doors, windows). Many times you can go less depending on the insulation. The main thing is to right size it. Check with your utility to see if there are additional cost to home owners peak, demand, power factor, penalities and to see if they offere any rebates. Rates will not fall and many utilities have started charging home owners additional charges that are normally associated with large users . Lean is "Green"-if you are buying more cooling capacity than you need then it is waste. Sounds like they may be trying to sell you something you may not need?

BradM

Leader
Admin
May want to look at the SEER , as this more accurately represents a seasonal year. EER is efficiency at peak day operations.
Agreed. :agree1: Also, check into tax rebates based on what you purchase.

In addition, sometimes there is a difference in installation costs. Not all the time, but sometimes.

T

tomvehoski

There is probably a major factor in there of "marketing to people who are bad at math". Prices are not set simply on cost plus markup, but perceived value to the customer.

I looked at the same thing a few years ago when I replaced the furnace and added AC. The ultra high efficiency furnace was much more expensive (plus had additional installation costs) and would never provide a return on the additional investment. Someone who is only concerned with trying to "save the planet" would happily hand over the extra cash, along with people who don't know how to calculate ROI.

S

sati1234

Thanks guys,
I am trying to buy an AC for a shop that has to have Ac due to humidity purposes. These AC companies companies in Tx make a huge mark - up on their products. When you read their specs its really a meager amount of money you really save. Unless there is a real tax benefit for the higher rated units- the power draw differences are very small and less savings.

I was just hoping somebody came across a similar experience and my thinking was correct.

BradM

Leader
Admin
There is probably a major factor in there of "marketing to people who are bad at math". Prices are not set simply on cost plus markup, but perceived value to the customer.

I looked at the same thing a few years ago when I replaced the furnace and added AC. The ultra high efficiency furnace was much more expensive (plus had additional installation costs) and would never provide a return on the additional investment. Someone who is only concerned with trying to "save the planet" would happily hand over the extra cash, along with people who don't know how to calculate ROI.
True words here. :agree1: Emotional sells are very common, like here in Texas. Yesterday, it was 102F. ;) Compressors go out, and so they need it fixed; immediately. Usually they have been in a hot house for a couple of days. So, selling that "more efficient" unit is an easy sell.

1. If your existing compressor is working, I would not change it out (in Texas) in the summer. The prices are the highest on everything.
  2. Contact your local electrical service provider. Let them know what you currently have, and what you are wanting to accomplish. They can help assist you in getting some objective calculations on the systems. Why I suggest this is that a compressor mfg. will report "average" numbers. Texas is not average; where even a thermostat set at 79F, the compressor can run non-stop for a period of a couple of hours in the heat of the afternoon.
  3. Make sure you have whatever unit serviced on a periodic basis by a reliable A/C service. Keeping the units in good service will extend their life and allow them to work at maximum efficiency.
  4. Conduct maintenance on the outside compressor. Assure the fins are clean, the area around the compressor is free, and if you are so inclined, consider building a cover for the compressor. It will keep the unit in the shade; thus the parts are not as hot.
  5. Be sure and be persistent about changing the A/C filters. It moves better air, and allows the whole system to work at maximum efficiency.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
T Choosing a Notified Body for MDR - SGS/BSI/DNV/DQS-MED Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
E Choosing correct MOPs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Choosing Nonconformities to Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Choosing Auditors - ISO 9001 / ISO 27001 (UK) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Dilemma about choosing the most applicable clause related to Risk ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Choosing QMS Software for Aerospace Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
B Choosing not to calibrate (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Choosing between ISO 9001 (2015) & TL 9000 certifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H On choosing touchscreen displays and ensuring IEC 60601 compliance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Q Choosing In-Process Inspection Characteristics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Choosing the correct Distribution for Acceptance Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19
S Choosing a suitable type of Elisa to Test my Sample Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Choosing the correct Elisa Test Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
H Choosing between RABQSA Lead Auditor or ASQ CQA Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S Choosing ISO 9001 Training and if I need the training for work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S CE Marking choosing between module A, B CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Getting Stuck Choosing a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Choosing the right Industry Financial Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Advice for choosing Rechargeable Lithium Batteries to be used in a Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 16
L Choosing a Statistical Test for dissertation results! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Choosing a X-Ray Fluorescence Measuring Device for Chrome Coating Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Choosing the Best Standard - ISO 9001 or ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
B Choosing Inspection Level and AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
I Choosing the alpha level in an ANOVA Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Choosing the right one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Choosing a Mentor Career and Occupation Discussions 3
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Choosing Parts for Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) in 4th Edition, pg 132 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
bio_subbu Choosing a laboratory for biocompatibility test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Choosing a Laser Micrometer - Your recommendations? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G Short TQM training - Choosing of most important points Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Choosing number of subgroups and subgroup size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Choosing a Vision System - Recommendations for a User Friendlier System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Need Help on choosing dimensional standards / equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Choosing Samples for Gage R&R - Randomly picked samples show very little variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Tim Folkerts DOE: Choosing a Design - Factors that affect the choice of design The Reading Room 0
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
G Choosing a Sampling plan for Start Up Fabless IC Company - Guarantee a 200 DPM limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
gard2372 Choosing between a Small Company or a Large Company Career and Occupation Discussions 17
D Choosing a notified body for a new start up company in the UK - Medical Device area Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
G Choosing Supplier Evaluation Methods - Determining what a Critical Supplier is Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 31
Steve Prevette Choosing Performance Indicators Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0