Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Choosing a Registrar - Registrar Recommendations

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I have had the pleasure and displeasure of working with 4 registrars (6-7 auditors) within the US and only in an ISO environement. These were UL/BSI/LRQA/SGS. My experiences vary, the ones I like were harder but I felt we got the most bang for our buck and these were UL/BSI (1994-2005). I feel when you get a dollars value you should let people know. My experience in the negative was not so much as what the registrar or auditor provided but what my boss and his boss wanted (no findings). My boss knew what auditor to ask for because he knew how to keep them occupied and what they looked for from previous experiences. I hated these wasted time of audits and fruitless follow-ups; I am no longer with that organization and did not bring those experiences with me I wanted to start fresh. I feel you need to look at as several people here suggested "value added". I do not blame the registrars because my boss knew how to play the auditor but I feel they have some accountability because I can’t believe these tendencies occurred during our audits. So maybe better evaluations on their part would have discovered this. We are moving into AS and I want the hard but fair audit, if we want our product qualified at this level I want the best auditor and the best audit. We are new to this type of audit but will soon see.
I will let you know how our audit goes in March if I am still here:lmao:

Just want to remind folks that there is no UL anymore. They merged with DQS into DQS-UL, which has a customer oriented and improvement approach to audits.

Bob the QE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Learning more and more everyday. Does UL retain any control over these activities, just curious on how they aligned. These were my first auditors in 1995 and I learned alot on my first actual audit.

Thanks again

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Learning more and more everyday. Does UL retain any control over these activities, just curious on how they aligned. These were my first auditors in 1995 and I learned alot on my first actual audit.

Thanks again
It is pretty integrated. A lot of the management staff in the US are UL personnel, but the DQS folks are still there also. In Europe, I am not as clear, but a lot of the key DQS personnel are still in place. My reaction this far is definitely positive. I think we have the best of both registrars still in place, as well as a good crop of experienced auditors.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
This is the fourth time in this thread alone that you promote yourself and the two CB's you selected to work with. Maybe they should consider paying Marc for advertising here.
sorry, did not realize that, but the thread does go back a very long way. I only reply when there is a particular post that I feel deserves a good response. And, it is a post about registrars, after all. Nonetheless, I will try to stand down a bit.

On the other hand, I would encourage my registrars to advertise here. I think it would be a great forum. On a vaguely related note, it is also quite clear which registrar you represent, and Randy, and some of the other regulars. But, I don't think any of us are crossing the line, considering how active we are on the forum. And, the posts were in answer to questions, not just blatant promotion.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
On a vaguely related note, it is also quite clear which registrar you represent, and Randy, and some of the other regulars.
I represent the Lollipop Guild, the Lillipop Guild the Lollipop Guild, and in the name of the Lollipop Guilllllllllld, I'd like to welcome you to Munchkin Land:lol:

NWrubberQA

Starting to get Involved
Re: What Company Is Your Registrar?

I'd like to get some feedback from folks on Registrars. One's you've had direct experiences with specifically.

What I would like to do, if enough folks respond, it to put together a 'recommended registrar' listing or something to that effect.

Any takers?
Marc,

Did you complete the list? We currently use UL, however, I have to admit that I've become frustrated with their lack of response to questions, late scheduling and mix ups, and general lack of support. I could use some registrar recommendations for a small company of 30 to 50 employees in the NW.

NWrubberQA

Starting to get Involved
We currently use UL, however, I have to admit that I've become frustrated with their lack of response to questions, late scheduling and mix ups, and general lack of support. I could use some registrar recommendations for a small company of 30 to 50 employees in the NW. We need have ISO9001 & AS9100 and need TS16949 by the end of 2009.

Top Bottom