Choosing a Registrar - Registrar Recommendations

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Obtaining value from accredited certification

We should not be selecting a registrar for its quality management skills, or any technical skills. You want top notch system auditing skills and professionalism instead.

Certification is a marketing decision. Therefore select a registrar that is truly accredited, protects the independence of its certificates and is well-respected by the customers you seek.

Avoid OFIs and other ways of concealing system weaknesses from corrective action.

You may also insist on a registrar that demonstrates the value of its certificates to customers in your sector in keeping with your strategic plan.

John

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Obtaining value from accredited certification

We should not be selecting a registrar for its quality management skills, or any technical skills.

John
On what do you base THAT comment? Non-participation in industry groups for aerospace, telecom or automotive doesn't bring any benefits to the customers' certification? Getting rules etc handed down 2nd and 3rd hand (or worse) doesn't adversely affect the quality of the audits done? You may wish to rethink that gem, John...

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
On what do you base THAT comment? Non-participation in industry groups for aerospace, telecom or automotive doesn't bring any benefits to the customers' certification? Getting rules etc handed down 2nd and 3rd hand (or worse) doesn't adversely affect the quality of the audits done? You may wish to rethink that gem, John...
Andy,

Thank you for seeking clarification.

Of course, to be a "top notch system auditor" one must keep up to date on the audit criteria.

...but auditees should avoid expecting expertise from their auditor on how to conform and auditees should be able to rely on their auditor protecting their intellectual property as indeed any professional auditor would.

John

Andy,

Thank you for seeking clarification.

Of course, to be a "top notch system auditor" one must keep up to date on the audit criteria.

...but auditees should avoid expecting expertise from their auditor on how to conform and auditees should be able to rely on their auditor protecting their intellectual property as indeed any professional auditor would.

John
Agreed. Your second point is of course the same as saying "no consulting". I certainly don't agree with those who would advocate the auditor sharing experiences of what they've seen during audits - a slip twixt cup and lip at the lunch table when "off the clock" is highly improper!

When you wrote registrar, I tend to think of the entity not the specific auditor. Many individuals can only rely on their employers to keep them up to date with the latest (as do we in sales, as it's just as important) and that's what made me rebut your post... A CB SHOULD have technical competency and a client needs to be very aware. There are too many second and third rate CBs who just send auditors, WITHOUT investing ANYTHING in that person. I know from first hand experience...

cbearden

Involved In Discussions
I haven't read this entire thread but I would highly DISCOURAGE the use of LRQA...
I have recently been written Nonconformance's for what was deemed, "Auditor's Opinion"....The Auditor even admitted it...
I wont go into the details, but when the Auditor admits its his opinion he his writing you up for, you know something is wrong.....
Also, approx. 40% of the Audit was an exercise in Consulting with the Auditor showing me how we should run our company and how others in our Industry do it....Very Frustrating Audit...

NWrubberQA

Starting to get Involved
Seems like that must be going around or being taught to auditors. Heard the same thing recently from an auditor and a person teaching an auditor class that they can write a finding based on their opinion. In most cases when these are contested they default to the standard and the finding is dropped.
I don't appreciate the consulting either unless I ask for an opinion. I feel like the specific organization should be judged / audited against the standard not what the auditor has seen in other places good or bad. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an objective, unbiased audit to the standard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Choosing a Registrar - Need registrar selection advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
A Choosing a Registrar - Registrar Selection II Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
J Choosing a Registrar - Registrars That "Do It All" Registrars and Notified Bodies 90
D Choosing the same registrar For QS registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
A Choosing a Registrar - What Should We Look For in a Registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 81
B Rating and Choosing a Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 31
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Choosing Auditors - ISO 9001 / ISO 27001 (UK) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
M Dilemma about choosing the most applicable clause related to Risk ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Choosing QMS Software for Aerospace Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
B Choosing not to calibrate (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Choosing between ISO 9001 (2015) & TL 9000 certifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H On choosing touchscreen displays and ensuring IEC 60601 compliance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Q Choosing In-Process Inspection Characteristics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Choosing the correct Distribution for Acceptance Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19
S Choosing a suitable type of Elisa to Test my Sample Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Choosing the correct Elisa Test Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
H Choosing between RABQSA Lead Auditor or ASQ CQA Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S Choosing ISO 9001 Training and if I need the training for work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S CE Marking choosing between module A, B CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Getting Stuck Choosing a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Choosing the right Industry Financial Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Advice for choosing Rechargeable Lithium Batteries to be used in a Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 16
L Choosing a Statistical Test for dissertation results! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Choosing a X-Ray Fluorescence Measuring Device for Chrome Coating Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Choosing the Best Standard - ISO 9001 or ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
B Choosing Inspection Level and AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
I Choosing the alpha level in an ANOVA Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Choosing the right one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Choosing a Higher EER Air Conditioner After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
T Choosing a Mentor Career and Occupation Discussions 3
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Choosing Parts for Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) in 4th Edition, pg 132 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
bio_subbu Choosing a laboratory for biocompatibility test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Choosing a Laser Micrometer - Your recommendations? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Marc Forum User Name - Choosing a forum User Name (aka 'handle' or 'screen name') Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
G Short TQM training - Choosing of most important points Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Choosing number of subgroups and subgroup size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Choosing a Vision System - Recommendations for a User Friendlier System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Need Help on choosing dimensional standards / equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Choosing Samples for Gage R&R - Randomly picked samples show very little variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Tim Folkerts DOE: Choosing a Design - Factors that affect the choice of design The Reading Room 0
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
G Choosing a Sampling plan for Start Up Fabless IC Company - Guarantee a 200 DPM limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
gard2372 Choosing between a Small Company or a Large Company Career and Occupation Discussions 17