Choosing the correct Distribution for Acceptance Sampling

L

lp026713389

Hello everyone,

I'll try and be as organized as I can in this post, as it is my first. I am currently a senior student in industrial engineering, doing my co-op graduation project in acceptance sampling.

I am developing a type A sampling plan for attributes (with type A OC curve) to sample an isolated lot, not a process. What I have so far, are AQL which I have obtained from a real producer, and RQL which I have obtained from a consumer who works with that same producer. I work with the consumer, but I want to implement both values in my plan (when drawing the OC curve). I have been reading a lot of literature about the topic lately, however a lot of things in what I've read don't seem to add up for me. Here are a few:

1. While reading about which distribution to use while developing my plan, I got confused about what exactly are the criteria to choose the hypergeometric or the binomial approx. to the hypergeometric. Hypergeometric is typically used for small/finite lots, however some literature mentions that the binomial approx. is accurate as well, if N (population size) is at least 10 times greater than n (sample size).

The problem here is, I am actually trying to determine which distribution to use IN ORDER TO get n (whether by calculation or tables). But the above condition assumes that I already know n (which I am trying to determine). It seems a bit illogical to me, that the condition assumes I have a value which I need to get by a choice I will make based on that condition. Any help here?

2. Is there any other condition based on which I can choose whether I can use the binomial approximation or not? For example instead of having to do with n, I am looking for a condition like "If N (population/lot size) is >= a certain value, the binomial approx. can be used." That would make a lot more sense to me than the condition depending on n (sample size, which I am trying to get!)

3. If the hypergeometric distribution is to be used, I can't find any concrete methods to calculate the sample size I should take based on the size of the lot received. For the binomial distribution/approximation though, I found the Larson nomogram, ANSI Z1.4 tables, etc., which gives n and c (but is not based on N). I couldn't find any method to get the required sample size depending on the lot size for the hypergeometric distribution though.

4. Even if there was some method to calculate/obtain n depending on N using the hypergeometric distribution, how do I get c (acceptance number) in order to sentence the lot?! Again, for binomial, c can be obtained from the nomogram, standard tables, etc.

5. Also, just a general question, what distributions are the MIL-STD-105E and ANSI Z1.4 standards based on?

I am really confused here and the clock is ticking! Any help is appreciated.

Please cite your sources when possible :)

Thanks!

Edit: I have just put the AQL and RQL into Minitab, which are 2.8 & 6% respectively in my case. With alpha and beta of 0.05 and 0.1 respectively, and ticking the use hypergeometric distribution for isolated lots, I got n=194, and c=8. How did Minitab arrive at these values?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

lp026713389

Bev D, Statistical Steven, Tim Folkers, etc...anyone? I could really use the help :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll take a crack at this since there have been no responses. I'm not big into "choosing distributions" for data, but will give my recommendations.

1. While reading about which distribution to use while developing my plan, I got confused about what exactly are the criteria to choose the hypergeometric or the binomial approx. to the hypergeometric. Hypergeometric is typically used for small/finite lots, however some literature mentions that the binomial approx. is accurate as well, if N (population size) is at least 10 times greater than n (sample size).

The problem here is, I am actually trying to determine which distribution to use IN ORDER TO get n (whether by calculation or tables). But the above condition assumes that I already know n (which I am trying to determine). It seems a bit illogical to me, that the condition assumes I have a value which I need to get by a choice I will make based on that condition. Any help here?

There are many times in sampling where you fall into a chicken and egg scenario of - I need to know some data to get the N. Usually that means sampling some small amount to get an idea of the failure rate in order to know your sample size. But if you are sampling to "prove" you are better than a certain rate, you can use the specified rate in the formulae as a starting point.

2. Is there any other condition based on which I can choose whether I can use the binomial approximation or not? For example instead of having to do with n, I am looking for a condition like "If N (population/lot size) is >= a certain value, the binomial approx. can be used." That would make a lot more sense to me than the condition depending on n (sample size, which I am trying to get!)

Generally the amount of extra effort to do the hypergeometric calcuations only saves you a handful of sampling. Binomial is more conservative - if you meet the binomial criteria, you will also meet the hypergeomtric.

Best thing is to try some scenarios and prove that to yourself.

3. If the hypergeometric distribution is to be used, I can't find any concrete methods to calculate the sample size I should take based on the size of the lot received. For the binomial distribution/approximation though, I found the Larson nomogram, ANSI Z1.4 tables, etc., which gives n and c (but is not based on N). I couldn't find any method to get the required sample size depending on the lot size for the hypergeometric distribution though.

I've written a trial and error approach using an excel macro if you specify the N and the desired failure rate and confidence levels. It's not too hard to do, and an advantage of knowing how to do things yourself in Excel rather than relying on a 'black box' method. I'll attache the file.

4. Even if there was some method to calculate/obtain n depending on N using the hypergeometric distribution, how do I get c (acceptance number) in order to sentence the lot?! Again, for binomial, c can be obtained from the nomogram, standard tables, etc. See the file attached.

5. Also, just a general question, what distributions are the MIL-STD-105E and ANSI Z1.4 standards based on?

There are various books and papers out there with the history. One example is http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/resources/certpgmspt/pdfs/NPRM.pdf

I am really confused here and the clock is ticking! Any help is appreciated.

Please cite your sources when possible :)

Thanks!

Edit: I have just put the AQL and RQL into Minitab, which are 2.8 & 6% respectively in my case. With alpha and beta of 0.05 and 0.1 respectively, and ticking the use hypergeometric distribution for isolated lots, I got n=194, and c=8. How did Minitab arrive at these values?

No idea, I don't trust Minitab.

Attachments

L

lp026713389

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it. I have one question left though, after checking your attachment. What method/formula have you used to determine the value highlighted in the attached screenshot?

Just in case, the value in question is the number of samples (sample size) required under the hypergeometric spreadsheet.

Attachments

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it. I have one question left though, after checking your attachment. What method/formula have you used to determine the value highlighted in the attached screenshot?

Just in case, the value in question is the number of samples (sample size) required under the hypergeometric spreadsheet.
The binomial page uses the binomial formula in Excel, the hypergeometric page uses the hypergeometric formula. Note that it requires a macro in both cases to solve by trial and error.

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
Steve,

Have you ever played around with the "goal seek" function in Excel?

You may not actually need the macro.

(I say this without having looked at your sheet.)

L

lp026713389

Gents, thanks for breathing some life back into the thread haha. I'd like your advice on a certain situation I'm facing right now in my project. I have a lot of 821 units, but I don't know whether to follow the binomial method or hypergeometric method to develop a single sampling plan.

If I were to use the binomial, lot size would have no bearing and from the Larson Nomogram I would get a sample size of 120, with an acceptance number of 3. This is based on an AQL of 1%, RQL/LTPD/UQL/LQ of 6%, alpha of 0.05 and beta of 0.1 (these 4 values I have obtained based on discussions with the company I'm involved with - the consumers in this case, as well as the producers who have supplied us with this lot). However, this 120 makes up about 15% of the total lot size (821 units), and so the condition based on which I should use the binomial approximation would not be satisfied (N must be at least 10 times greater than n).

Moreover, since this is an isolated lot (not continuous process), it makes more sense to use the hypergeometric method from what I've read. Now, I have a problem which Steve has tried to help me out with. There is no concrete/obvious method for calculating the size of the sample I should take based on the hypergeometric distribution. Steve's excel file indicated that I should sample 465 units for a lot size of 821 units, and take the acceptance number = 0. But what is this based on? I have to reference some sort of formula or method I use in obtaining this value since this is my graduation project after all. Can anyone point me to any literature on this?

Also, if I do use this method (hypergeometric), does the acceptance number have to be 0? If not, how should I calculate it? A c=0 value works in my project's favor actually, but is it always 0 if the hypergeometric distribution is used? I read that c=0 plans are based on the hypergeometric, but these plans use an AQL table to determine the lot size. After checking the AQL table, I saw that based on a 1% AQL I would get a sample size of 34 for a lot of 821 units, not a sample size of 465 as was calculated in Steve's sheet.

As you can see, the issue is real hazy and there are a lot of question marks on this.

Lastly, how does 1 develop a double sampling plan based on a finite lot (hypergeometric distribution)? 99% of the literature I've read about this uses the binomial by default, but as I've explained, my case keeps pointing to me using the hypergeometric instead. Any advice/literature/points on this issue?

As always, ANY input would be helpful!

Thanks guys

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK Here is the INPUT:

Use the Binomial. It will give a slightly larger sample size than the hypergeometric, but that is conservative.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Choosing the correct Elisa Test Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
Q Choosing Nonconformities to Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Choosing Auditors - ISO 9001 / ISO 27001 (UK) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Dilemma about choosing the most applicable clause related to Risk ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Choosing QMS Software for Aerospace Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
B Choosing not to calibrate (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Choosing between ISO 9001 (2015) & TL 9000 certifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H On choosing touchscreen displays and ensuring IEC 60601 compliance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Q Choosing In-Process Inspection Characteristics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Choosing a suitable type of Elisa to Test my Sample Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
H Choosing between RABQSA Lead Auditor or ASQ CQA Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S Choosing ISO 9001 Training and if I need the training for work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S CE Marking choosing between module A, B CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Getting Stuck Choosing a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Choosing the right Industry Financial Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Advice for choosing Rechargeable Lithium Batteries to be used in a Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 16
L Choosing a Statistical Test for dissertation results! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Choosing a X-Ray Fluorescence Measuring Device for Chrome Coating Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Choosing the Best Standard - ISO 9001 or ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
B Choosing Inspection Level and AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
I Choosing the alpha level in an ANOVA Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Choosing the right one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Choosing a Higher EER Air Conditioner After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
T Choosing a Mentor Career and Occupation Discussions 3
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Choosing Parts for Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) in 4th Edition, pg 132 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
bio_subbu Choosing a laboratory for biocompatibility test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Choosing a Laser Micrometer - Your recommendations? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Marc Forum User Name - Choosing a forum User Name (aka 'handle' or 'screen name') Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
G Short TQM training - Choosing of most important points Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Choosing number of subgroups and subgroup size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Choosing a Vision System - Recommendations for a User Friendlier System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Need Help on choosing dimensional standards / equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Choosing Samples for Gage R&R - Randomly picked samples show very little variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Tim Folkerts DOE: Choosing a Design - Factors that affect the choice of design The Reading Room 0
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
G Choosing a Sampling plan for Start Up Fabless IC Company - Guarantee a 200 DPM limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
gard2372 Choosing between a Small Company or a Large Company Career and Occupation Discussions 17
D Choosing a notified body for a new start up company in the UK - Medical Device area Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
G Choosing Supplier Evaluation Methods - Determining what a Critical Supplier is Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 31
Steve Prevette Choosing Performance Indicators Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
ccochran Questions to Ask Prospective Registrars Before Choosing Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
L Choosing a Registrar - Need registrar selection advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 6