Chrysler, GM, and Ford Tooling Records Requirements - What are Tooling Records?

M

MDSpruce

Chrysler, GM, and Ford have a requirement for record retention for "tooling records". Can someone tell me what constitutes "tooling records"? Are drawings of tooling a record? The customer requirement statements is as follows: "Production part approvals, tooling records, APQP records, purchase orders and amendments shall be maintained for the length of time that the part (or family of parts) is active for production and service requirements plus one calendar year unless otherwise specified by the customer."

Thank you for any help that you can give me in defining this term.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Chrysler, GM, and Ford have a requirement for record retention for "tooling records". Can someone tell me what constitutes "tooling records"? Are drawings of tooling a record? The customer requirement statements is as follows: "Production part approvals, tooling records, APQP records, purchase orders and amendments shall be maintained for the length of time that the part (or family of parts) is active for production and service requirements plus one calendar year unless otherwise specified by the customer."

Thank you for any help that you can give me in defining this term.

Tooling records are usually referred to equipment in terms of drawings, schematics and so on. For istance, if you receive a tool/ equipment from your customer, it needs to labelled to demonstrate "customer property". In this case, the tooling records could be a registration in your system for this case ( SAP , for example).
Tooling records can also deal with registration of the performed calibrations on the production equipment, where production material has been processed.
In any case, contact your customer to better define the requirement, just in case to have clear what it expects.:bigwave:

P

Path of Totality

To add to what qusys said, this also includes your company owned tools. Case in point:

When I worked in automotive the company I worked for did injection molding so we had a multitude of molds (8 cavity up to 110 cavity). All records for that tool had to be kept with the job as each mold was specific to a part number / customer. We had to keep PM records, show when the molds were cleaned / repaired etc.

As qusys stated, if this is a customer owned tool, it's best to discuss with said customer and plan on tagging the tool (i.e. "Property of.....")

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Agree.
Tooling can be also interpreted as the process of firm with machinery/equipment in preparation for production.
So, tooling records can be also seen as the records of production run rate ( as per customer requirement) as well as the record related to the qualification of eventual new installed equipment for a production line.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

M

MDSpruce

Thanks for the replies!
I am looking mostly at internally designed tooling that is not customer owned. Based on the replies, our retention (as stated in our policies) of the drawings is probably not exactly right.
Thank you again for your help - I really appreciate it.:thanx:

Top Bottom