CI (Continuous Improvement) Tools and Techniques - What is the state of the art?

B

Bayne

All of us know some toolsand techniques of CI - but what is the state of the art? What tools do you use in your company?
Most common tools are:

Checklists
Poka Yoke
Pareto’s 80:20 Rule
The 5 Y's
Brainstorming
DMAIC
Process Imagineering
Value Stream Mapping
Fishbone Ishikawa-Diagram
The 5 Y's

What else do you know? Im really new at that topic but i'm very interested and doing some lecutre, but i never found a list of all tools and techniques.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: CI (Continuous Improvement) Tools and techniques

All of us know some toolsand techniques of CI - but what is the state of the art? What tools do you use in your company?
Most common tools are:

Checklists
Poka Yoke
Pareto’s 80:20 Rule
The 5 Y's
Brainstorming
DMAIC
Process Imagineering
Value Stream Mapping
Fishbone Ishikawa-Diagram
The 5 Y's

What else do you know? Im really new at that topic but i'm very interested and doing some lecutre, but i never found a list of all tools and techniques.

It depends based upon situations.
Part of the quality tools that you have mentioned are more linked with problem solving ( for example 5W's, Brainstorming, Fishbone Diagram ..) and are functional to a certain purpose.
PDCA is the common approach for continuous improvement.
When you want to improve a process, first you shall be in line with the objective and goals you set, then you shall raise the bar.
To do so, you shall collect data and make analisys: in this sense, check list and pareto analysis are ok.
When you want to modify a process to pursue effectiveness, in addition to effectiveness, you shall discover disconnect, so VSM is ok for this.
I do not know Process Imagineering. Probably you intend Business process Reengineering.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

B

Bayne

Yes, i intended Business process Reengineering.
Thank you for your helpful and kind reply !
It really helped me and im working myself trough that toolbox right now ;)

Im trying to get an overview and find categories and links like qusys showed..
I will post again after i got some more information! ;)
Thanks again and have a nice day!

DanteCaspian

Quite Involved in Discussions
Think of the tools as ingredients for the goal. While there is proven standards of implementation among the tools, every business is subject to a different blend to accomplish different goals.

Don't get hung up on the formulas right at the start.
Deciding what you need and when you need it is based on your comprehension of each tool and where you are currently in any given situation for improvement.
It is no different then composing music or written communication. You need to know the characters/symbols and what the content is to deliver. Once you have this, with practice of implementation, creativity and leadership, you are assured to make progress.

Top Bottom