Circled-Z symbol on a syringe — what is it for, what does it mean?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Gut feeling is just the initial non evidenced feeling you get with sufficient experience - as randy said, there's nothing wrong with it.

The problem is the large number of non compliant imports that are on the market

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'd say gut feeling is the result of subconscious risk evaluation... which is useful for (at least) 2 reasons:
1. It works really fast - important in situations where you need to decide and act quickly to survive (as Randy mentioned); and
2. It allows access to more mental resources - both conscious and subconscious. We remember far more than we are aware.

The problem with gut feeling, especially in professional life, is tractability - we don't have full access to the reasoning and therefore can't properly examine or challenge it.

So - I think gut feeling is a good indicator where to look further and what to look for, then - where it matters - the issue can and should be looked into in an orderly manner.

As an example, in this case my gut feeling tells me that there's something fishy about the CE marking. It should be easy to check it in an orderly manner and reach a valid conclusion, but personally I have no reason to do that so I leave it at that.

Capisce?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Read instruction manual - What Graphic Symbol must I use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
E Stand-by vs. ON/OFF symbol IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K ISO 15223-1 Sterile barrier system - The 3-layer symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K EIFU indicator symbol - Class I labels as per EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Create your own symbol? Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
K REF symbol with product code in the IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO 18223-2 Temperature symbol in the Legend table in the Instructions for Use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
K Medical Device Symbol(s) on Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 28
shimonv Symbol for temperature limit EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V "Manufacturer Symbol on Device is missed due to space constraint" EU requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 11
J ISO 15223-1: Keep dry vs. humidity limitation label symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Z IFU (Instructions for Use) Symbol - 7010:M002 - can it be in black? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Use of Caduceus symbol on Class II medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B Old GD&T Symbol "~" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Labeling/Marking Location for BF Symbol IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F RFID Symbol for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Use of the Non-Sterile Symbol (EN980/ISO7000/ISO15223-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P CE Marked IVD Labelling Canada - Conformity symbol? Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
E Unfamiliar Blueprint Symbol - Hex Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A Reference Source for Polarity Symbol Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C CE Mark Label Symbol Requirements on a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Does anybody know in which Standard can this attached Alarm Symbol be found? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B ISO 3864-4 Symbol Color Regulations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
N Latex Free symbol for use in UK? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class Ins CE Mark Labeling Requirements (particularly Lot or Batch symbol and number) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Storage Symbol for Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M US FDA Harmonization of Label Symbol Rules 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Appropriate use of the REF symbol in IVD kits and kit components Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Q Symbol Identification Help Other Medical Device Related Standards 14
J Symbol for manufacturing date - Is ISO 980 expired? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
N Symbol for Medical Device Sterile Packaging - "Inspect Seal Before Opening" Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
C Tolerance and Uncertainty have the same Symbol - How to Calculate the Tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Medical Device Labeling - Is there a Thermo Disinfector/Washer Symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
B Do we need to put the box around the SN symbol listed in EN 980? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
arios Medical Device Labeling - Non-Pyrogenic Symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
N Unknown Medical Symbol in Product Label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Equipotentiality Symbol - IEC 60417-5021 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
M How to make an X Median symbol (capital X with a tilde on top) in MS Office Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
E Is there a need to pay for the symbol quoted in ISO 3826-2:2008? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
L Use of the EN 980 Manufacturer Symbol CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
kedarg6500 Writing the symbol for R bar bar (double bar) in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
S Symbol or Label requirements for "Demo Instrument"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Flow Chart Decision Symbol Arrows - Which flowchart is correct? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 32
D Symbol Colours and Sizes on Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 14
T Use of the tilde symbol below a dimension indicated it was out of scale? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4