Cl 7.5.1: Control of Production and Service Provision - How much is too much?

A

AK209

I am somewhat new to overseeing the QMS in our company.

I was looking over our procedure for Control of Production and Service Provision and have come up with some questions.

1) Our existing procedures purpose is stated as "To define the roadmap detailing the guidelines that company management shall use to develop quality plans, procedures...." It is my understanding that section 7.5.1 does not include the development of listed items, but the existence of controlled conditions and availability of needed items and instructions to carry out quality production. Does the existing purpose statement seem off track to anyone else? Or am I not understanding the purpose?

2) In writing the procedure for this section...Can it be done by summary and reference to other existing procedures? for example...Monitoring and measurement will be done in accordance with quality plans and criteria specific to the product, and procedures 160 and 170....and...Monitoring and measuring equipment will be calibrated in accordance with procedure 90 and kept in a locked cabinet in QA area. Equipment is readily available to inspection staff who each have been issued a key.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated for this.
:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

quality1

Re: Section 7.5.1: How much is too much

At my last company, we had one standard quality plan for all products since they were very similar. A flow chart was developed to initiate the process once an order went through Sales. The flow chart woul also include which procedures or work instruction would be required to build that product including how it was packaged and sent to customers. As long as all information are available to produce a quality product, I don't think it's too much info. Hope that helps with your question.

charanjit singh

Involved In Discussions
I agree with quality 1. All you need is to prpare a document that brings out i) how you carry out a process, ii) what are the conditions, iii) what are the 'instructions' or guidelines' for carrying out the process, iv) what resources are required, v) how the monitoring is done and/or the final output is checked and vi) where the results recorded.

Now, you can do this in form of a table with above coulmns and giving references to other documents (e.g. instructions) under each cell against the particular process/activity that I have mentioned above.

Or you can do the same in a flowchart form with colums stating the above requirments.

Any doubts?

Jupitor

C

CliffK

Posts 2 and 3 contain good ideas. Here are a few other thoughts.
I am somewhat new to overseeing the QMS in our company.
Welcome to the club. (Luckily I escaped by going into consulting.)
I was looking over our procedure for Control of Production and Service Provision and have come up with some questions.
In your place I would start by questioning the need for this procedure at all. It seems destined for the big honkin' binder that will gather dust on your bookshelf until the outside auditor comes around.

What's the worst thing that would happen if you threw this procedure away and didn't replace it?

1) Our existing procedures purpose is stated as "To define the roadmap detailing the guidelines that company management shall use to develop quality plans, procedures...." It is my understanding that section 7.5.1 does not include the development of listed items, but the existence of controlled conditions and availability of needed items and instructions to carry out quality production. Does the existing purpose statement seem off track to anyone else? Or am I not understanding the purpose?
The quoted writing is dreadful. Please don't adopt that wordy, jargon-filled style.

To answer your question, you have the right understanding about 7.5.1.

2) In writing the procedure for this section...Can it be done by summary and reference to other existing procedures? for example...Monitoring and measurement will be done in accordance with quality plans and criteria specific to the product, and procedures 160 and 170....and...Monitoring and measuring equipment will be calibrated in accordance with procedure 90 and kept in a locked cabinet in QA area. Equipment is readily available to inspection staff who each have been issued a key.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated for this.
:thanx:
Why write a procedure at all? Who will use it?

In your place, I would try to get a profound understanding of how the organization does all those things in 7.5.1. I would take notes as necessary, because my memory is a bit leaky. Use your management reviews and internal audits to identify places where it doesn't seem to work and use your corrective action process to fix those things.

If the company starts process planning again, use your accumulated knowledge to help make sure the plans account for all the gotchas and pitfalls you have uncovered.

Get your hands on Douglas McGregor's The Human Side of Enterprise. Study Chapter 11, called "Staff-Line Relationships." Remember that most line managers are going to see you as staff when you wear your quality assurance hat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.1 Control of Production and service provision - Help with Work Instruction Access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Control of Production and Service Provision - ISO 9001 Cl. 8.5.1 f) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S AS9100C 7.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B AS9100 7.5.1.F and 7.5.1 G Intent - Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Q about "control of production and service provision (7.5.1)" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Level II Procedure for 7.5.1 Control of Production & Service clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C 7.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision for Nadcap per AS7108 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Control Of Production and Service Provision - Onsite /offshore design and development Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B Auditing 7.5.1 Control of Production/Service General Auditing Discussions 6
D 7.5.1 Control of production and service - Release, delivery, post-delivery activities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S 7.5.1 (F) Control of production and service provision Service Industry Specific Topics 1
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A ISO 9001 Control of Production Equipment - CNC Machines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
optomist1 TS 16949 Control Plans - Non-Production Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M AS9100 7.5.1 Control of Production disagreement of intentions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M AS9100 7.5.1.2 and 7.5.1.3 - Control of Production requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Nonconformance on document control - Unapproved document on production server Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W Special Characteristic Control in Production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changes Assessment as per AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.2 Control of Production Process Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
V Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval? FMEA and Control Plans 5
M TS 16949 Production Control Plan Requirements - Format(s) APQP and PPAP 4
B Production Control and Traceability - Manufacturing Fishing Vessel Deck Machinery Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Control of Production Procedure - ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Control of Production Equipment - Seventh Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
V Visual Control - Takt based Production Scheduling Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Q Control Plan - Customer Order Receipt to job order is issued to production FMEA and Control Plans 3
J How to Control Production Batch Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Control of Outsourced Production (Contract Templates) - ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Robots in a Production Line - Control Plan and Process FMEA Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T Document Control and 7.5.1 Control of Production - My question is about programs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspectors) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
W Pest Control procedure requirements? Pesticide / Sprays in Production Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Requirement to follow Control Plan for serial production in a PPAP run APQP and PPAP 4
K Seeking Production Control Plan samples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T What is Average Run Length & Average Production Length when used in Control Charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Should the required production controls and control results be documented ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Control of Production Equipment, Tools and NC Programs: 7.5.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A Control of Production Equipment,Tools and Numerical Control (N.C.) Machine Programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C Control of Printed Work Instructions in Production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Can I exclude 7.5.1 & 7.5.2 (Control of Production & Validation) from our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Production and Process Control SOP example or template needed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Anerol C Internal Auditing: Production Control Internal Auditing 1
K Environment Control for Fruit Industry - Infrastructure of Papaya Production Area Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
Q How Many Control Plans Needed? Prototype, Pre-launch and Production? FMEA and Control Plans 3