Clamping Force measurement between two component faces?

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Hello again after a short break.
I have been asked if it is possible to measure the amount of clamping force between two faces. Currently we assemble using a 10kg load to apply force to the two components to ensure an effective heat transfer path. We would like to move away from this, and need to work out what the clamping force is on the components using our prototype fixture, spring loaded clamps.
I would like my fellow Covers for some input please:
How do I measure the force between the faces when a clamp is applied (as opposed to a weight).
Picture to follow soon...
Thanks in anticipation
Paul

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Force measurement between two faces?

The most immediate answer I see is a Load Cell. You can put it in-line to measure compression force. Maybe some of the mechanical experts may have some other better or more detailed thoughts.

sonflowerinwales

In the country

Picture attached, the clamping force between the gold bit and the copper bit needs to be measured.
Paul

Last edited:
A

andygr

Pic did not attach but Jerry has it right.
You are looking at a load cell application( compression) . Just be carefull that you understand their use and application or your results can be very missleading. Alignment being a big influance for example and temperature.
:2cents:

D

DavidPhillips

It would be good to know a little more about your application but some of our customers have used a small 50kg testing machine to apply clamping (compression) forces very accurately and in good alignment using a high quality load cell. Its not the cheapest solution but it will work very well, and there are other benefits as well if you want to use this in a production environment.

Another advantage is that rather than simply measuring the applied force you can actually set it on the machine so you can experiment with different clamping forces to find the optimum value for your assembly.

Contact me for more information, and I can send you some pictures.

I see that you are in South Wales, we are in Herefordshire so that may also be an advantage.

David Phillips

Top Bottom