Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to a Non-Automotive Business

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, however I have been a member for many years. I am glad the cove is back.

I am hoping I can get some clarification from one of the many subject matter experts that frequent these forums.

I am the QM for a Tier 1 supplier to GM. Within the structure of the organization we manufacture both "Automotive" and "Non-Automotive" as defined in the IATF Rules 4th Edition Section 1.0

Issue:
We recently underwent our surveillance Audit #1 and our CB Auditor mentioned that TS 16949 requirements apply to all product (Automotive and Non-Automotive) manufactured in our facility because we do not separate the Automotive Business portion with solid barriers.

My question is: Where can I get clarification on where that requirement is coming from? The Auditor points to the IATF Rules book section 5.2 (h). My organization is in full agreement of that particular requirement but for determination of Audit days only. The requirement is not clear as to the applicability of the TS16949 specific requirements for the non-automotive business.

Can anyone help clarify this for me and if there is a requirement, where is the requirement come from?

Thank you,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to Non-Automotive Busines

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, however I have been a member for many years. I am glad the cove is back.

I am hoping I can get some clarification from one of the many subject matter experts that frequent these forums.

I am the QM for a Tier 1 supplier to GM. Within the structure of the organization we manufacture both "Automotive" and "Non-Automotive" as defined in the IATF Rules 4th Edition Section 1.0

Issue:
We recently underwent our surveillance Audit #1 and our CB Auditor mentioned that TS 16949 requirements apply to all product (Automotive and Non-Automotive) manufactured in our facility because we do not separate the Automotive Business portion with solid barriers.

My question is: Where can I get clarification on where that requirement is coming from? The Auditor points to the IATF Rules book section 5.2 (h). My organization is in full agreement of that particular requirement but for determination of Audit days only. The requirement is not clear as to the applicability of the TS16949 specific requirements for the non-automotive business.

Can anyone help clarify this for me and if there is a requirement, where is the requirement come from?

Thank you,
If your auditor is claiming that all of your non-automotive product is subject to TS audit requirements, he/she is wrong. Look at the eligibility requirements -- only production/service parts supplied to automotive customers are eligible. In fact, for us our auditors will not even look at non-automotive parts. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. And thank God. With the nonsense that has become TS, application to non-automotive parts would grind our operation to a halt.

Re: Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to Non-Automotive Busines

If your auditor is claiming that all of your non-automotive product is subject to TS audit requirements, he/she is wrong. Look at the eligibility requirements -- only production/service parts supplied to automotive customers are eligible. In fact, for us our auditors will not even look at non-automotive parts. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. And thank God. With the nonsense that has become TS, application to non-automotive parts would grind our operation to a halt.
Thanks for the reply golfman25. I agree 100% with you. I was looking to see anyone else out there had a similar situation. The auditor stated that the Focus of the audit will be automotive business however since we do not physically separate the automotive from non-automotive, everything is up for grabs.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

IATF Rule 4 specifies applicability of TS 16949 registration.

Last edited by a moderator:

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Hello Everyone,

Issue:

Thank you,
What the rules say is that the headcount for the whole facility applies to calculate the audit days. The auditor should still only look at processes that affect the automotive products.

If the production lines and personnel for automotive product were physically separated, you could ask for a reduction in audit days.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

LUV-d-4RUM, I am not familiar with AIOB Rule 4, could you refer a link to that rule?
I think that LUV-d-4RUM means the IATF Rules for achieving and maintaining IATF recognition 4th edition - frequently abbreviated to Rules 4th ed.

The document itself is copyrighted, but the IATF has published a "client" version with relevant information for organizations being audited. You can find a copy at their website here: http :// www. iatfglobaloversight.org /docs/ Rules 4th clients requirements 2014 01 28 Final.pdf - DEAD LINK TO THE FILE DISASSOCIATED.

Look at clause 5.2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks for the reply golfman25. I agree 100% with you. I was looking to see anyone else out there had a similar situation. The auditor stated that the Focus of the audit will be automotive business however since we do not physically separate the automotive from non-automotive, everything is up for grabs.
Obviously there are certain areas which may apply across the board. For example, calibration -- would be difficult to separate out between auto and non-auto. Preventive maintenance might be another. Training as well. Etc. A lot might depend on what you make and how.

What he should not do is pick a non-auto part and ask to see the control plan and PPAP docs. You would have no reason to have them. Good luck.

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions

Obviously there are certain areas which may apply across the board. For example, calibration -- would be difficult to separate out between auto and non-auto. Preventive maintenance might be another. Training as well. Etc. A lot might depend on what you make and how.

What he should not do is pick a non-auto part and ask to see the control plan and PPAP docs. You would have no reason to have them. Good luck.
Hello, IATF rules 5.2h only requires separation at "manufacturing process", calibration, maintenance can be mixed but all auto & non auto headcounts need to be included as a ratio of auto and non auto (it is in sanctioned interpretation to rules 4th).

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

It all depends on the clarity of the scope. Our auditors do not ask for PPAP documents of products that are not in the scope of TS16949.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Clarification - Hydrogen De-embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J ISO 9001:2015 8.2.3 - Review of Requirements (Clarification on compliance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Pmarszal Clarification for 21 CFR Part 11.100 - General Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
B Clarification of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 Control of Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Monitoring and Measuring Resources (7.1.5) - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
dubrizo Clarification Requested in 6.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 - Note 2 - Recycling program - Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification regarding types of processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
J Definition Actively Manufacturing - ISO 13485 Definition and clarification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D NIST HDBK 44 Table T.3. Class III Tolerance in Divisions Clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M UDI - Direct Marking and Reprocessing Clarification Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S 21 CFR Part 820.40(b) Clarification on Required Document Approvers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Clarification on Document Signatories under ISO9001 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P ISO 27001:2013 Clause 4.1 and 4.2 Clarification and Guidance IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
K Free from any Undue Internal and External Pressures - 4.1.5b clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B MSA 4th edition reference manual - Page 120-121 Clarification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
W Quality Objective clarification - Requirements for "levels within the organization" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9