Clarification of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 Control of Changes

Hi all,
Firstly, i need clarification on the meaning of this phrase in the clause:
"Results of the review of changes", "any necessary actions arising from the review"

Does the requirement above refer to outcome of Review of changes after implementation of the said changes? or it could mean outcome of review prior to implementation of change?

Secondly, for changes to the QMS that arise from nonconformity, can Corrective Action/Improvement Request and Nonconformity Report whereby corrective action would include changes to the QMS, be used as record to fulfill this clause requirements?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
In the olden days of ISO 9001:2008 this would have been addressed by Clause 7.3.7 Design and Development Outputs. ISO 9000:2015 Term 3.3.10 defines change control as “Activities for the control of the output after formal approval of its product configuration information”.

In reality this clause is asking the organization to make changes in a thoughtful manner and to consider the potential impact to other process, product and possibly the customer. Key items to consider are:

- Is the impact of the change evaluated as its effects work in process and parts/product already delivered?

- What process control documentation (procedures, travelers, forms, etc.) will need updating as the result of change to be implemented?

- When change will be made was it approved prior to implementation including, if applicable, approval by the customer, statutory or regulator authority?

- Does retained documented indicate the source of change and information on necessary actions and approvals?

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Does the requirement above refer to outcome of Review of changes after implementation of the said changes? or it could mean outcome of review prior to implementation of change?
Hello,

I think if you go through some steps you end up with both, but I think it is the review of the results of the change. The standard did not abandon PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act).

Secondly, for changes to the QMS that arise from nonconformity, can Corrective Action/Improvement Request and Nonconformity Report whereby corrective action would include changes to the QMS, be used as record to fulfill this clause requirements?
I say the corrective action is the PERFECT record. You already have it, you already use it, so minimal retraining is required, you don't have to invent some new process, it has the ability to satisfy all requirements, and is potentially effective.

Jim Green

Involved In Discussions
I was wondering if someone could give a real world example of how to implement this??? Already ISO 9001 2008.

Steel Processing facility - Is it something we may be doing already and I am to dense to see it.

Thanks

Last edited:

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
[FONT=&quot]One example would be the effect of automating a process. An organization I worked for automated a press line before understanding the existing process. The result was unusable product because they did not take into account dwell time during pressure ramp-up. While the manual process pressure regulators applied pressure as a slower rate, the new automated system applied full pressure immediately. Result, nonconforming product that could not be reworked and lots of $$$ in scrap.[/FONT]

I was wondering if someone could give a real world example of how to implement this??? Already ISO 9001 2008.

Steel Processing facility - Is it something we may be doing already and I am to dense to see it.

Thanks
Jim:
One of the reasons this was added to the standard is that changes was only addressed in certain places: Changes to customer requirements (contracts), changes to product designs and document changes.

We know that having planned the production processes, there's often a need to change things - process parameters, materials, inspections and so on. It simply needs a way to control those, through planning, so that the consequences are considered. As you know, sometimes changes are not reversible...

Jim Green

Involved In Discussions
I just don't want to get caught up in more matrix creation and chasing paper for an auditor...

Monitor and review "Context of the organization". You have got to be kidding me. Risk Management? right... These are the critical quality aspects that have been missing all along ? After 20 years of doing this, MY eves have seen the glory.

Becoming frustrated, angry, and cynical. Sorry... Thanks so much for your help.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I just don't want to get caught up in more matrix creation and chasing paper for an auditor...

Monitor and review "Context of the organization". You have got to be kidding me. Risk Management? right... These are the critical quality aspects that have been missing all along ? After 20 years of doing this, MY eves have seen the glory.

Becoming frustrated, angry, and cynical. Sorry... Thanks so much for your help.
I hear ya. Makes you want to stick your head in a vice.

For change control I would just keep it as simple as possible and document what you currently do. My guess is when you want to change something you meet, discuss, and analyze on some level and then implement. Good luck.

Then don't! I simply don't understand why people here are always harping on about what their auditor tells them to do or how they fear not "pleasing the auditor". We've been at this stuff for 25+ years. It's about time someone treated their CB like any other supplier and started complaining about things which aren't right! Your other suppliers don't make you jump through hoops, do they? If something's not right, you reject it and send a SCAR, right? So why are you all whinging about what your auditor wants?

Did you read the requirement? It doesn't say review the context does it? I'm of the impression you don't completely understand what this is about. Internal and external issues can represent risks and opportunities. Are you suggesting that these don't change, over time? You aren't required to do "risk management" it's not in the standard. I really believe that folks haven't sat down and fully understood what's required here. I guess if you then have an auditor come in and go off the rails, things are going to go badly. You've gotta understand the requirements. There are no "silver bullets"...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 9001:2015 8.2.3 - Review of Requirements (Clarification on compliance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Clarification of ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
C ISO 9001 - 5.5.3. Internal Communication clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Y Clarification on ISO 9001 - Exclusion of Design and Development, Clause 7.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q ISO 9001:2008 4.1 b Clarification - Sequence and Interaction of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Subsequent Actions Taken - ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Request for clarification on ISO 9001 Clause 7.2.2 (Contract Review) Contract Review Process 5
B ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 Purchasing Information - Need clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9001 - 5.5.2 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Clarification of ISO 9001: 2008 Section 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J ISO 9001:2000 7.3.5 "Verification" and 7.3.6 "Validation"- Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
A The difference between Equipment and Device - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
N Clarification of Required Records by ISO 9001:2000 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
J Definition Actively Manufacturing - ISO 13485 Definition and clarification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
P ISO 27001:2013 Clause 4.1 and 4.2 Clarification and Guidance IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13
J EN ISO 14971:2012 Annex ZA Deviation #4 Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Clarification for ISO/TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.5 & 7.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T ISO 13485 Clause 4.2.1 - Clarification of Intent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I ISO 14001 Clause 4.3.3 Objectives, Targets and Programme(s) clarification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
M ISO/TS 16949 Cl 7.5.1 a) - Characteristics of the Product - Need Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R ISO/TS 16949:2009 Clause 4.1 General Requirements (Outsourcing) Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J ISO 13485 Clause 1.2 Application Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q ISO 13485 Clause 4.2.2 Documentation Structure - Quality Manual clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Clarification of ISO 2768-1 - Inside bend radius tolerance - Metal stamped part Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
xfngrs The instructor recommended the following ISO clarification books Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Clarification - Hydrogen De-embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1