Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
Here we go again. :deadhorse:

I'm hoping to find some clarification concerning procedures & requirements for threaded ring gage calibration. I've asked some of the labs we do business with to explain their calibration procedures in regards to damage and wear on threaded ring gages. The one that responded mentioned only the IFI method for determining excessive wear of the flanks, consistency of drag on truncated and full threads, and stated nothing concerning damage or tapered wear. I've read IFI-301 2008 (R2013) 15.1, concerning threaded ring gage calibration, and personally feel it's rather incomplete. I'm of the opinion that if the gage is damaged such that it must be opened more to allow the damage to clear the set plug and allow the gage to go onto the set plug then the flanks of the ring gage are no longer in contact with the set plug, only the highest point of damage is. If set to the highest point of damage then the ring is not providing a verification of a series of threads but only a point check of pseudo random points, based on the location of the damage on the ring. This can still provide consistent drag on truncated and full threads if the damage is far enough out on the flank of the ring gage and as such will not be discovered by the method described in IFI-301 15.1. Damage of this nature and tapered wear are, in my limited experience, only detectible in how the drag feels when threading the ring gage on and off the set plug. I was taught that the amount of drag should not increase noticeably after the 1st 1 1/2 to 2 turns onto the set plug and that damage can cause and abrupt increase in drag or a complete stop. Some lesser damage will give a 'dirty' feel as if there is debris involved. I've found nothing in IFI-301 that addresses this and a such seem to have no grounds to stand on when trying to reject damaged and excessively worn threaded ring gages. What are y'alls thoughts on the issue of detecting and verifying damage, taper or wear and IFI-301?

<Edit>
Forgot to ask: Am I off base or on base as to detection of damage and or wear? Am I overcomplicating or oversimplifying?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

leftoverture

Involved In Discussions
Well, I am no expert in threaded ring gages by any means, but I agree with you that if there is damage such that the ring gage must be opened up to accommodate the high points, that seems unacceptable. Wouldn't you visually inspect for such damage prior to using the set plug and reject the gage if damage is present?

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
Not all damage is visible. Nor is visually checking each gage viable under the circumstances as they exist here. All I have to perform the visual check with is a plastic x7 eye loupe. This does ok on the larger gages, on the smaller ones it's use is very limited.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Clarification - Hydrogen De-embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J ISO 9001:2015 8.2.3 - Review of Requirements (Clarification on compliance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Pmarszal Clarification for 21 CFR Part 11.100 - General Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
B Clarification of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 Control of Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Monitoring and Measuring Resources (7.1.5) - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
dubrizo Clarification Requested in 6.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 - Note 2 - Recycling program - Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification regarding types of processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to a Non-Automotive Business IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
J Definition Actively Manufacturing - ISO 13485 Definition and clarification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D NIST HDBK 44 Table T.3. Class III Tolerance in Divisions Clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M UDI - Direct Marking and Reprocessing Clarification Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S 21 CFR Part 820.40(b) Clarification on Required Document Approvers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Clarification on Document Signatories under ISO9001 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P ISO 27001:2013 Clause 4.1 and 4.2 Clarification and Guidance IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
K Free from any Undue Internal and External Pressures - 4.1.5b clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B MSA 4th edition reference manual - Page 120-121 Clarification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
W Quality Objective clarification - Requirements for "levels within the organization" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9