SBS - The best value in QMS software

Clarification on 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices Note

B

bigbirdy

I have been lurking around this site for some time now:notme: and this is the very first time that I am going to post a question. I have learned a lot from the forum and thank you to the moderators and to those who share their knowledge so people like me will get a better understanding of the standard.:agree1:
My question is about the note is in 7.6: Control of monitoring and measuring devices: “Monitoring and measuring devices include, but are not limited to :test hardware, test software, automated test equipment (ATE) and plotters used to produce inspection data. It also includes personally owned and customer supplied equipment used to provide evidence of product conformity.”
What is the interpretation of the last line personally owned and customer supplied equipment…. Does this refer to equipments owned by company or equipments/tools (like calipers, gage) owned personally by workers.
We are looking at some ways to save some money by stopping/excluding the calibration of tools/gage personally owned by the workers which they used on the floor. We are thinking of attaching a sticker that will label them as reference only since all our QA tools (calipers/gage/equipment) are the ones used to verify the conformity of the products in process and final inspection. Our QA tools are properly maintained and calibrated yearly. We are wondering if that will make us non-conforming to the as9100b standard and what kinds of impact will that make when the audit comes.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

George Weiss

Greeting new poster person,
There are several ways to go with you question. Placing a "NCR", (no cal required), tag or a "for reference only" tag is an option. Ideally there are inspection points in your process which use calibrated equipment to verify critical parameters. In some cases like repair, development, engineering, and etc. calibrations are much more of an option. There are many degrees of calibration. I speak from observed fact that a significant cost savings can be had by contracting the degree of calibration with a smaller calibration lab. If you both agree to the level of calibration, then reducing the calibration grade to a FNC cal, or by another term, Standard cal, where a limited number of checks are performed to achieve a operational verification with major specs checked.
I would look into getting a wider range of calibration options. In your case, some equipment would be suited for a lesser certification. This is a subject, which needs to be negotiated at time of calibration service contract renewal, and the number of items will effect your service calibration lab’s willingness to proceed with a package deal savings.
SO: go to the people who negotiate the calibration services, and have arrangements made to get new pricing on a detailed/described limited scope/detail "special calibration". This will get you a cheaper calibration, and of course a less complete calibration. Your equipment is verified by a number of tests performed, and you just ask for less of those tests. This can, and is commercial done elsewhere. I recommend you don’t use this for all equipment, but that is your choice also,
don't go wild! please :cool:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I can't speak directly to the AS standard, but what we do is have the gages calibrated by their owners.

You could go with a for reference only system. However, a lot would depend on your process and how long something may be produced before being checked with a calibrated gage. My experience tells me that the less informed look at gages for "calibration stickers" and if there aren't any a potential issue is created. Good luck.

G

George Weiss

Very true. If they, (your items needing reduced calibration), are just micrometers or calipers, then having them checked before use is a common practice. Other items can be handled in a similar way.
I know that many facilities want everything to have some kind of label on them. ANY KIND. I have seen internal auditors walking around with roles of NCR and reference-only stickers. If it is not labeled, then it gets one. In some cases a voltmeter might only be used for DC volts measurements, and a limited calibration can be done.
I did read the question to be mainly be about cost. Alot of time can be spent in daily or weeking verifications to avoid an anual calibration. I have seen companies use those un-offical meters, and keep them out of sight. Bad, Bad, Bad.
The simplest is the NCR or reference-only sticker, and if anyone asks, the item is as marked.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
The crux of the matter here lies in the portion of element 7.6 that states "Where necessary to ensure valid results . . . "

If it is not needed to ensure valid results, calibration isn't necessary.

But from a practical matter, if you are having or allowing machinists to use measuring devices for an in-processes check where that measurement will later be confirmed with a calibrated measuring device, why would you not want it to be accurate? What is the cost of scrapping something after many value added steps have been completed.

In my mind, trying to cheap out on calibrating such equipment is a wanton case of being penny wise and pound foolish.

But it is your company. You have a right to be foolish.

T

tbsiva

Even in our company, we use a similar system. Equipments which are not used to measure the product/process characteristics are classified with a Orange sticker. The same has been referred in our QMS also. In addition to that, it has been defined that equipments which are codified with Orange sticker are only for reference and it does not require calibration.

Several audits have been passed and we did not observe any non confirmity because of this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Clarification of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 Control of Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Level II Procedure for 7.5.1 Control of Production & Service clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M APQP & C/P Manual, Pg33, Para 3 - Control Plans - Clarification please FMEA and Control Plans 5
G Clarification on Position with Bonus Tolerance - Feature Control Frame Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
qualprod D5 of 8D clarification, how to verify root cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 24
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Clarification - Hydrogen De-embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J ISO 9001:2015 8.2.3 - Review of Requirements (Clarification on compliance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Pmarszal Clarification for 21 CFR Part 11.100 - General Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Monitoring and Measuring Resources (7.1.5) - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
dubrizo Clarification Requested in 6.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 - Note 2 - Recycling program - Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification regarding types of processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to a Non-Automotive Business IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
J Definition Actively Manufacturing - ISO 13485 Definition and clarification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D NIST HDBK 44 Table T.3. Class III Tolerance in Divisions Clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4