Clarification Requested in 6.2.2

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
"When planning how to achieve its quality objectives, the organization shall determine:... when it will be completed"

Seems straight forward enough... When do you plan to achieve the objective's results.

Am I missing anything or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Clarification Requested: 6.2.2d

The "when completed" refers to the actions/activities you plan to undertake towards the accomplishment of the objectives, in my opinion.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
"When planning how to achieve its quality objectives, the organization shall determine:... when it will be completed"

Seems straight forward enough... When do you plan to achieve the objective's results.

Am I missing anything or am I overthinking this?

Thanks!
Its straight forward. You determine upfront how long it would take to achieve (weeks / months) and then work towards achieving the set objective within the time target.
Of course, you have a choice to extend the timeline, as its all your decision. But a well thought over timeline IMHO is almost always achievable.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Going back a couple terminology generations...it is simply asking for a S.M.A.R.T. goal.
Your question is just about the "T" part.
Handle it just like a goal set for an employee...when do you think it will be done?

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
When do you plan to achieve the objective's results.
The "when completed" refers to the actions/activities you plan to undertake towards the accomplishment of the objectives, in my opinion.
There seem to be two opinions in this thread. It is either:
- when the objective is achieved, or
- when the action is completed

I've been interpreting this clause to be about when the actions are completed as Sidney said. The standard uses the word "it" in a clause where there are two things that could be "it." My logic was that the list was a progression starting with identifying actions to take, assigning resources for the actions, assigning action owners, and ending with completion of the actions and verifying their effectiveness.

Now that I've seen an alternate interpretation, I'd be interested to hear an explanation/justification for why "when it will be completed" is talking about the achievement of the objectives, not the actions.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
There seem to be two opinions in this thread. It is either:
- when the objective is achieved, or
- when the action is completed

I've been interpreting this clause to be about when the actions are completed as Sidney said. The standard uses the word "it" in a clause where there are two things that could be "it." My logic was that the list was a progression starting with identifying actions to take, assigning resources for the actions, assigning action owners, and ending with completion of the actions and verifying their effectiveness.

Now that I've seen an alternate interpretation, I'd be interested to hear an explanation/justification for why "when it will be completed" is talking about the achievement of the objectives, not the actions.
Can it not be both? I do like having that third option. :cool:

Let's say the objective is to "Improve Customer Experience by 10% by the end of the fiscal year."

And my plan includes:
  1. Develop survey with focused questions by XXX.
  2. Send survey to top 20 Customers by XXX.
  3. 3. Analyze and present survey results to senior management by XXX.

The organization could complete all of the planned actions, but Customer Experience may not improve. Why? It's a poor plan. At no point do I address identifying current results, or why the organization is achieving those less-than-desired results. My plan does not focus on implementing actions that will actually improve the overall experience of the Customer, but rather just measuring how happy they are.

To add to Ninja's point about SMART goals, plans also need to be SMART.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
My logic was that the list was a progression starting with identifying actions to take, assigning resources for the actions, assigning action owners, and ending with completion of the actions and verifying their effectiveness.
Great minds think alike :agree:
That seems to be the most logical line of thought. 6.2.2 d) is a step in a sequence of planning steps. Obviously having a sensible target date or time frame for reaching an objective is important, but 6.2.2 refers to the planning necessary to make the objective a reality.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Good clarifying points above.

Purpose (the goal you are trying to achieve...)
Plan (determining in advance the actions you will take to achieve it...)
Progress (taking the actions toward the goal...)
"T" is when you expect to harvest the Peaches...

Purpose (goal) and Progress (actions) are indeed two different things...or one overall thing...all depends how fine you want to slice it that day.
Today is an "its all the same thing" day for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chennaiite Controlled vs. Uncontrolled Document - Clarification requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
E Gage R&R - UCLx - Clarification requested Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Clarification is requested about Corrective & Preventive Action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
RoxaneB Clarification Requested on Certificate Wording-Conformance/Certification/Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Clarification - Hydrogen De-embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J ISO 9001:2015 8.2.3 - Review of Requirements (Clarification on compliance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Clarification on interpretation of some EN ISO 14971:2012 & IEC 62304:2006 req's ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 46
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Pmarszal Clarification for 21 CFR Part 11.100 - General Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
B Clarification of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 Control of Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Monitoring and Measuring Resources (7.1.5) - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 - Note 2 - Recycling program - Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K EN ISO 15223-1:2012 Clarification or Examples on when to use Safety Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification regarding types of processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to a Non-Automotive Business IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
J Definition Actively Manufacturing - ISO 13485 Definition and clarification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D NIST HDBK 44 Table T.3. Class III Tolerance in Divisions Clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M UDI - Direct Marking and Reprocessing Clarification Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S 21 CFR Part 820.40(b) Clarification on Required Document Approvers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Clarification on Document Signatories under ISO9001 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P ISO 27001:2013 Clause 4.1 and 4.2 Clarification and Guidance IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 13