Clarity on requirements for indirect suppliers per AS9100

Trishmag

Registered
8.4.1.1 requires that the organization shall periodically review external provider performance including process, product and service conformity, and on-time delivery performance.

Does this apply to indirect suppliers providing services like Engineering consultation, calibration services? As these supplier are indirect and like direct supplier above clause isn't easy to apply. Above clause works for direct suppliers whose product or services directly a part of bill of material. Suppliers like calibrations are still approved based on some industry third party cert such as ISO17025.

So if above clause is applicable as part of audit finding, what is the approach to contest. If auditor is interpreting that this clause is applicable to all suppliers then what is the additional clause that I am missing to bring auditor on the same page.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
It sounds like you have already read 8.4.1, where it says "The organization shall determine the controls to be applied to externally provided processes, products, and services when:
a) products and services from external providers are intended for incorporation into the organization’s own products and services"

Unless the auditor can make the case that calibration service is incorporated into the product/service you send to your customer, I would say don't let them issue the nonconformance.

There is a polite way of explaining to the auditor that you understand the requirement, and that a non-conformance would not go unchallenged.

Trishmag

Registered
It sounds like you have already read 8.4.1, where it says "The organization shall determine the controls to be applied to externally provided processes, products, and services when:
a) products and services from external providers are intended for incorporation into the organization’s own products and services"

Unless the auditor can make the case that calibration service is incorporated into the product/service you send to your customer, I would say don't let them issue the nonconformance.

There is a polite way of explaining to the auditor that you understand the requirement, and that a non-conformance would not go unchallenged.
Thanks for quick response. Yes, that is the way I look at it that supplier needs to be part of Bill of Material making the product and we are responsible to control them as direct supplier. Services like calibration are part of the resources and level of control isn't same. They are still approved with third party certification as ISO17025, some places use SOP as vendor comes on site to perform calibration, traceability of the service is through indirect PO on file but this vendor doesn't need to be on score card to measure on time delivery as section 8.4.1 isn't applicable. Thanks for helping to clarify.

Randy

Super Moderator
This can get kinda stupid unless made specific, normally Tier 1 and depending on circumstances Tier 2, really a stretch for Tier 3 and lower, however a case can be made especially something related to safety/airworthiness

Top Bottom