Class I 510(k) exempt - Applicable Standards

NewRegMan

Starting to get Involved
Hi folks

Just a quick and probably silly question: My product is listed with the FDA as a Class I 510(k) exempt and on the market for many years (unchanged). There is a particular recognized consensous standard with a transition period ending soon! Per FDA the new standard will be required for for new medical equipment and existing equipment requiring FDA re-submission.
What does that mean for my "old" product?
Does re-submission mean the day I pay my registration fees for 2018?
How long can I import my "old" products after the deadline?

Many thanks for a quick reply from the experts.

Cheers:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
Without knowing details, it sounds like you may be in a grey area.

On the one hand, FDA has stated that conformance to a recognized consensus standard is voluntary for non-exempt devices

Voluntary Conformance
Conformance with recognized consensus standards is strictly voluntary for a medical device manufacturer. A manufacturer may choose to conform to applicable recognized standards or may choose to address relevant issues in another manner.
Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff - Recognition and Use of Consensus Standards

On the other hand, in exempting Class II devices, FDA recently stated explicitly that the exemptions are in some cases limited to devices that conform to recognized consensus standards.

Federal Register
::
Medical Devices; Exemptions From Premarket Notification: Class II Devices

I would say that registration is not the same thing as submission, so conformance to the updated standard is likely to be expected once that standard is on the recognized list, and not when establishment registration is up for renewal.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The above FR notice relates to class II exemptions, so not sure it’s relevant for the OP.

In my understanding “submission” refers to a 510k, meaning that if/when a new 510k is required (eg after a modification that results in a non-exempt device) compliance with the relevant recognized standards will be examined. In my opinion this should not concern the OP, as long as the specific FDA 3-letter product code page doesn’t clearly state that that specific standard compliance is required (i.e. the standard is designated as a Special Control).

In general the FDA does not expect “dynamic” compliance and “keeping up with the state of the art” (like in the EU). Once a device is cleared* it may continue to be distributed in the US indefinitely unless a new ruling is issued or there are serious, specific issues highlighted by the FDA for that specific device or device type.

*) For exempted class I devices, “cleared” normally means that another device with similar characteristics (same classification), that was already in commercial distribution in the USA, was identified, and General Controls have been otherwise complied with in relation to the subject device.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Research in Mexico, anyone? US class I (non exempt) 510(K) Dental ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A What is required to export Class I (non exempt) 510(k) approved product to Mexico ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Who needs a 510(k) in this situation? Class II medical device for a US Orthodontist Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I FDA Exempts Product Codes from 510(k) Process (Class II Medical Devices) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
F Class II 510(k) question for device with different EU - US configuration 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R OTC with Rx Predicate - 510(k) for a Class II medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
T Level of Concern for Class II Medical Device Software 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Class II Medical Device 510(k) Purchase - Documentation Transfer Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Software for a Class II Medical Device - Required Advice for 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
R When is a 510(k) needed - Class I Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
P PMA called for a class III-510(k)..what next? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Advertising a Class II Medical Device pending 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M 510(K) Premarket Notification Approval for Cardiovascular Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B 510(k) Third Party Review of Class II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 13
A Ownership of 510(k) to transfer or submit new one - Class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Interesting Discussion FDA 510(k) required? US company Private Labeling an FDA Class II Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 34
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class A PRTD beyond 300°C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1