Class I - International Registrations

We have Class I Med Devices.. actually accessories to be exact. In some cases, we have excess inventory and devices with the Direct Marking of the CE Symbol.. We are trying to understand if we can burn these off in International Markets which don't require the CE Mark or would we have to scrap the products.. Our thought process is.. (1) Products were manufactured prior to May 26, 2020. (2) They are not placed on the market and are sitting in the warehouse in the US.. Do we have to individually place these on every international Market, or can we continue to ship if we have approval from the authority in that market.. Some see this as an "offense" to the eU..

In other cases, we have Class I Products that will be MDR Compliant around May 15, 2020. Some countries require months of registration process. IF the MDD CE Mark goes NULL and Void on May 26, 2020.. There is a gap, i.e. WE are MDR Compliant and waiting for registration in that market but can't ship the Class I product because its not allowed, even though we have it in inventory..

What are you thoughts on this? How do we continue to ship into these markets using the CE Mark... or will we have to remove the labels, rework and scrap the product.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Are you a medical devices consultant (as your username suggests)?
We have Class I Med Devices.. actually accessories to be exact. In some cases, we have excess inventory and devices with the Direct Marking of the CE Symbol.. We are trying to understand if we can burn these off in International Markets which don't require the CE Mark or would we have to scrap the products.. Our thought process is.. (1) Products were manufactured prior to May 26, 2020. (2) They are not placed on the market and are sitting in the warehouse in the US.. Do we have to individually place these on every international Market, or can we continue to ship if we have approval from the authority in that market.. Some see this as an "offense" to the eU..

In other cases, we have Class I Products that will be MDR Compliant around May 15, 2020. Some countries require months of registration process. IF the MDD CE Mark goes NULL and Void on May 26, 2020.. There is a gap, i.e. WE are MDR Compliant and waiting for registration in that market but can't ship the Class I product because its not allowed, even though we have it in inventory..

What are you thoughts on this? How do we continue to ship into these markets using the CE Mark... or will we have to remove the labels, rework and scrap the product.
nkf
Are you a medical devices consultant (as your username suggests)?
not exaxtly..

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I think you have some fundamental misunderstandings about medical device regulation, the MDR, CE Marking, the role of the CE Mark in international registration, etc. Too many and too deep to get sorted out in an online forum. Should your company decide to secure the services of a medical device regulatory consultant with an understanding of these subjects, let us know. Three are a number of us who could help you, but I'm doubtful anyone will be willing to take on something like this free of charge.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
CharlieUK EU representative details on Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Import a MD Class IIa in the EU from China EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Class 1 medical device - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Shoe Covers - medical device class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Including a class 1 camera in the 510k application of class 2 therapeutic technology? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
shimonv Can you submit a traditional application for a class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J The necessity and benefit of ISO13485:2016 for a manufacturer of class I devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S IPC-A-610 Class 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Class 1 and 2 changes in CM standards (aerospace industry) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
S Class 1 vs Class 2 changes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J EU Declaration of Conformity for Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Class II a vs "software safety class A" IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
N Class I accessories covered by EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Med Device Class for a Service Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P ISO 14644 Class 8 Cleanroom Air Filter Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Electrical Medical Devices class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Interesting Discussion "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
L Class IIb devices marked EC according to the 93/42/CE - Portugal CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Biocompatbility testing on Class 1 device requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
J Reusable surgical Instrument is under class IIa? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Any sample of a full software life cycle IEC 62304 report ( any class )? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
G Voluntary Class I Device Filing Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J IEC 60601-1-11 Home Class II With Ballasts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3