Class II 510(k) question for device with different EU - US configuration

Frodeno

Starting to get Involved
Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance regarding regulations for a class II electronic and software driven monitoring device that we intend to market in the USA. The device integrates with other monitoring devices to give the user lots of monitoring options. The device has a GUI where the user selects different functions but for commercial reasons some of these functions cannot be implemented in the USA. Our software engineer can easily `grey out` these non-available options on the GUI menu but could the visibility of these options (even if they are greyed out) cause us a problem with our 510(k) ? Our engineer says its too much of a problem to remove the options completely from the menu. Can someone guide me to any FDA publication that speaks to this type of situation ?

Thanks in advance,

Frodo.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kreid

Involved In Discussions
I think you could make the case that the greying out of non-available options does not impact the use of the device and so it could be acceptable to the FDA.

You would need to back this stance up with:
  • evidence that the greyed options cannot be exercised through any means (the greyed buttons or other ways) and
  • evidence that they do not cause confusion (you would need to carry out usability studies on the US variant).

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with kreid.
I would also add to make sure that the "greyed-out" functionality is not required for the proper operation of the cleared device in the US. In other words, is the functionality or the data provided by the greyed-out options required to meet the intended use of the device cleared in the US.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not saying this *would* be a problem but certainly something to be aware of and prepared for.

The FDA frowns on "dead" code and by graying out options, you're pretty much advertising that there's code in the system that is unreachable through normal operations. Of course, the FDA is concerned about the anomalous cases, for example, what happens if the code somehow vectors into this dead code space.

If you actually compile out all that unavailable code (i.e., it's not represented in the binaries) you'd be in pretty good shape, I think.

Either way, if you address this in your risk assessment, you might be better off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Who needs a 510(k) in this situation? Class II medical device for a US Orthodontist Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
N Class I 510(k) exempt - Applicable Standards 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Importing a Registered Class II Device, the Applying Our Label - Need New 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I FDA Exempts Product Codes from 510(k) Process (Class II Medical Devices) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R OTC with Rx Predicate - 510(k) for a Class II medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
T Level of Concern for Class II Medical Device Software 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Class II Medical Device 510(k) Purchase - Documentation Transfer Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Software for a Class II Medical Device - Required Advice for 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
R When is a 510(k) needed - Class I Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
P PMA called for a class III-510(k)..what next? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Advertising a Class II Medical Device pending 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M 510(K) Premarket Notification Approval for Cardiovascular Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B 510(k) Third Party Review of Class II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 13
A Research in Mexico, anyone? US class I (non exempt) 510(K) Dental ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A What is required to export Class I (non exempt) 510(k) approved product to Mexico ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Ownership of 510(k) to transfer or submit new one - Class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Interesting Discussion FDA 510(k) required? US company Private Labeling an FDA Class II Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 34
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class A PRTD beyond 300°C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11