Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing??

XRAY_3121

Compliance and Regulatory Rx Distributor
I'm dealing with a private label heating pad that the manufacturer tested the power supply to IEC 62368-1 instead of 60601-1. I was under the impression that the power supply was a component of the medical device and therefore should be tested to a medical device standard? These power supplies run hot. Does anyone know if they are required to be tested to 60601-1? And I have another heating pad that is ETL certified based on UL130 - but is registered as a Class II medical device. It too has not have IEC 60601-1 testing. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matthew

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Not an expert here but maybe this will get the ball rolling.

When you submit your *system* for 60601-1 testing, the power supply will go with it. If the lab reviews the power supply test data (ostensibly from an accredited lab) and sees that it meets the 60601-1 requirements, then I believe they could accept it without further testing.

XRAY_3121

Hi Yodon,
I appreciate the response! I guess I'm trying to understand if it's acceptable to test the power supply to a different standard. My opinion (if I were the manufacturer) is that it is inherently part of the device. I think the manufacturers are viewing it as a separate component. The power supply is certified by UL, but I question the standard it was tested to.
1659018581797.png

Can they test the PS to an IT standard, test the heating pad to proper ISO standard, and sell together as a single product?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
May well depend on the intended use environment. If hospital, probably not (as the snippet mentions "business equipment"). You can probably ask your test lab.

ca_moni

Involved In Discussions
This question would have been better addressed in IEC 60601-1 subforum, anyway ... as far as I know, the use of power supply certified according to an appropriate standard (not IEC 60601-1) is allowed : the medical device (here the heating pad) shall be compliant with IEC 60601-1 and the combination of the power supply and the medical device shall be regarded as a ME system and shall comply with the related prescriptions of the IEC 60601-1 standard.

XRAY_3121

This question would have been better addressed in IEC 60601-1 subforum, anyway ... as far as I know, the use of power supply certified according to an appropriate standard (not IEC 60601-1) is allowed : the medical device (here the heating pad) shall be compliant with IEC 60601-1 and the combination of the power supply and the medical device shall be regarded as a ME system and shall comply with the related prescriptions of the IEC 60601-1 standard.

Thanks cs_moni, that is very helpful. I was not aware there was a 60601-1 sub forum, I appreciate the tip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Painted surface of a protective Class I equipment. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
B Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for Canada - class IIa/IIb device Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
N Direct Part Marking of the "CE" symbol- Class I Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A PMSR or PSUR for legacy MDD-class I becoming MDR class-IIa EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T PMCF Surveys for Class II a devices: basic requisites EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T PMCF Surveys for Class II a devices : basic requisites CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Conformity Assessment for a System Class IIb EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Philippines: Old Certificate of exemption for Class B device and new LTO. How to proceed? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Class I MDSW CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
N Class III PMA shelf life extension US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Class 2a CE Mark Regulatory Pathway CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
normhowe Surprising shoe policies for Class 7 Cleanrooms US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Class I under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Legacy device under Class A sterile devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N FDA class 1 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
P Self Certified Class 1 MDR 2017/745 Design Change CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Testing for proving food safety on USP class vi material RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
N FDA class 2 Device QS Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class I Shelf-life requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Class I Medical Device Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 11
dgrainger Informational Common Specifications for certain class D IVDs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S BASIC UDI-DI for a class IIa device marketed in a Procedure kit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M From Class 1 to Acessory EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Labeling IVD Class III Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Class II Accessory Labeling Conundrum US Medical Device Regulations 19
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Labeling requirements for class 1, fashion sunglasses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
B Can a software that receive data from a MD be classified as Class I?or is not a MD? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Can a product option change the product class? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Class III license: Add new device to the license system Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
P Servicing of Class IIb devices under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
marmotte Help with Surgical Class I + 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Is "SAFE" permitted in class 1 medical device marketing claims? US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Reintroduce packaging component/med device from white room back to class 7 clean room Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Custom made class 1 Medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Class IIb implantable-TD sampling plan EU Medical Device Regulations 0