Class II Implant Steam Sterilizer Validation

E

ehoqa

Hi,

We make Class II implants that we will be sterilized by a new steam sterilizer. The new sterilizer was calibrated and validated by an external lab. Upon reviewing the validation, I'm wondering how others have handled such results:

I think it's standard to use 121?C for X minutes and during the validation to run 3 half-cycles and 3 full cycles with some 10^6 BIs. In the end all of the BIs were dead, so it was overall successful.

What happens when some of the readings from the sterilizer (printed out on the tape) show 120?C during exposure? Would this cause any concern (or auditors to question) that at some point the sterilization was operating at less than 121?C? How would one justify that the 120?C readings are acceptable because it was validated that way? Is it enough to state in our procedure or work instruction that 120? is part of the acceptable temperature range?

Similarly, do we need to explain why the external lab's temperature probes at various locations of the sterilizer read less than 121?C at some point during exposure, particularly at the "cold spots"?

Thank you in advance... this is my first time really dealing with a full validation of any sort.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Were the Bi's placed at the hot and cold spots during the chamber? Did you set a uniformity requirement for the mapping study; such as ?1?C?

Do you have a validated load setup, where the load probes will be placed consistently in the load?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
I've held off responding to this as it's not my area, but I can give some general pointers:

Question: are you a manufacturer or a healthcare provider (or their service provider)?

If you are a manufacturer you are in a position to specify your sterilisation parameters, you just have to validate the process is capable of assuring sterility, you can therefore account for temperature deviations and temperature uniformity in this.

If you are a healthcare provider you should follow the instructions provided by the manufaturer otherwise you cannot rely on their assurance of sterility. You should therefore validate your equipment for their reqiurements. I fully appreciate that there is a termperature rise period and non uniformity in the chamber, it may be possible to counter this by running at a higher temperature, but alternatively you could contact the manufacturer and ask for their advise

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Real-time-aging Validation - ISO / ASTM Standard - Class 111 Orthopedic Implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Declaration of Conformity for a Class III Medical Device Implant EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class A PRTD beyond 300°C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Y Retrospective Validation - Class I device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C ISO 13485 Requirement in Australia/NZ for class 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S How to register class IIA medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
U Medical device trial budget - 2 hospitals for Class IIa medical device in Sweden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2