Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal?

katastic2908

Involved In Discussions
Hello, Please help me, I am so tired of combing the internet for vague answers.

We have a Class II device, this device is electronic and is used in conjunction with other manufacturers products, for example with patient return electrode pads that are made by several different manufacturers.

We have recently discovered that our device is not compatible with one manufacturers patient return electrode pads. We have a fix for that and want to offer it free of charge to the customers that have already purchased the device. We did not state in the IFU or marketing literature all of the compatible patient return electrode pads, only that the system will only work with compatible products.

We would like to offer it to the customers that purchased the device already the option to return the product so we could modify it so it works with this particular patient return electrode pads (while also still working with all of the other pads), but as long as they don't use that particular set of pads the device works as intended with all other pads we've tested.

Would this be considered a Removal, Market withdrawal, or something else?

I don't feel it would be reportable as there is no safety risks or violations.

Please help me, I am at my wits end.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

locutus

Involved In Discussions
katastic - that is actually a situation that you are usually not alone aas other companies have experienced similar instances.

My first comment is that in my own humble opinion this would not be considered under a recall, market withdrawal, or removal, because there is not a volatile situation that you are correcting. Now in your specific instance, if your device being incompatible with the other device manufacturer's product causes issues, dangerous situations, or may lead to patient harm, then yes, you would fall under the recall/removal instance. If you make a device that works with many other devices and find one that is not compatible or even a new manufacturer's product that is not compatible, i.e. can not plug in or attach, then this is just a design change on your part. In fact, if your product can not be plugged in or attached, then there should technically be no risk, thus no patient risk.

I agree with your assessment that this would not be reportable because there is no safety concern or violations of the regulations. Just make sure that you fully document any design change that you make accordingly including doing a revised risk assessment. My second comment is, don't call it a "fix" because that eludes to a problem. Is it really a problem? Or is just new information gained from post market surveillance that requires a design change? Call it what it is: a design change.

There is probably not much on the internet that is useful, but definitely go back to the definition of a market correction by the FDA under 21 CFR 806 and recalls under 21 CFR 7. Really determine AND DOCUMENT your rationale for this design change not being a volatile situation requiring reporting. Also recommend looking at other guidance like Health Canada guidance on recall and the MEDDEV 2.12/1 that gives some other definitions and examples of recall/withdrawal situations.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
First of all, I would capture the issue as a customer complaint (even if it wasn’t expressed as such) and handle according to your relevant SOPs. This will allow orderly feeding into your PMS system and will trickle down through your QMS to wherever relevant. The fact that your labelling doesn’t commit to compatibility with 100% of market-available products should not prevent orderly analysis and decision making; it can be factored in when you get to the point where you decide what to do about it, down your SOP.

Second, it’s important to analyse/clarify what does it mean “is not compatible with”. Is there any risk in the situation? Is it obvious that co-use is impossible (eg connector mismatch), or can someone try to use it mistakenly?

If no risk (or the risk acceptably low), it’s important to clarify the nature of the “fix”. If it involves changing something in the original device, I agree it’s a design change. Either way, you should manage this as a new/separate (mini?) project. If it’s a design change, manage it as a design change and take care of the regulatory questions - is a special 510(k) required? Maybe just a letter to file? Etc. If you’re adding an accessory, manage it accordingly. And so no. Just don’t do it “on the fly”. The facts that there was no labelling breach, that there are alternatives, that this involves few customers / few products etc. don’t matter. It’s still what it is (and you need to define what it is first).

I wouldn’t recommend referring to other jusrisditions’ guidance documents, as sometimes concepts and attitudes differ, and at the end of the day the FDA is not committed to other jursdictions’ views and practices (except where FDA explicitly says otherwise).

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S How to register class IIA medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Medical device trial budget - 2 hospitals for Class IIa medical device in Sweden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Countries that accept 510k approvals - Class II nonsterile medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Class III Medical Device Accelerated conditions Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
N CE Mark for Class 1 medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Does Class 1 Medical Device need to be certified to MDSAP? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
N Can we take a part from 510k cleared medical device and use it in class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Selling a class II Medical Device in Canada in Pharmacies Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 10
S Acrylic in Class II b Active Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Inventory Control - Class II (IIb for CE) medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Software Release Note - Class A stand alone software medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M How is Class I Medical Device Compliance Enforced? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Kuldeep Singh Calibration of Dose Area Product (DAP) Meter in our Class IIb X-Ray Medical Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Medical device manufacturing (class 2 ISO 13485:2016) - Is a Deviation allowed? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N Per the FDA regulations can a medical device be class I despite that it is sterile? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Include IFU in Class II Medical Device Marketing Brochure? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Clinical evaluation for a class IIa medical device - EU MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Class II Medical Device Conformity Assessment Route according to Annex V only CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
C Pressure requirement of home based Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Technical file requirement for Class IIb medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Who needs a 510(k) in this situation? Class II medical device for a US Orthodontist Other US Medical Device Regulations 4