Class II Sterile Product Shelf Life Labeling - Should we do a recall?

D

deuce64

Hoping for opinions on this scenario:
this is for US jurisdiction, FDA. No sales Outside USA.
A class II, sterile product that we acquired was labeled for 2 years shelf life. the previous company (510k) owner did a shelf life study to extend the product to 5 years shelf life. Upon acquisition, we began relabeling product that was already built with 5 years shelf life - the correct expiration date is this coming july.
During a recent random review of finished goods, we found that 1 batch was mis labeled as if it had a 6 year shelf life (i.e. instead of label reading it would expire this coming july, it is now labeled to expire the following july.)
Normally this would be a case-closed recall, but here is our thought. Firstly, there is an obvious internal CAPA for the break down in procedure/process that allowed this to happen. and then there is a Health Hazard Analysis. We've written the analysis and it could say that, 'of course, in July of this year, there is a risk to the population (potentially breached barrier or non-usable material) however, before July, the product is not a risk. We've since begun accelerated age testing and in May of this year we will have an answer for 6 year shelf life. If the testing passes, the mislabeled product is good, if it fails, we must recall.' and of course, this would happen prior to the july 2015 date. Curious to know people's reaction to this strategy. Would FDA take a hard stance that the product should have been recalled right away....or because we took action to investigate, prior to any risks to humans, our actions were acceptable.
thanks for thoughts.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Class II sterile product Shelf Life - Should we do a recall?

I understand your argument for waiting...but I don't think FDA would buy it. You (inadvertently) distributed product that was mislabeled at the time of distribution according to the information then available to you. Ergo, a field action is required for that batch.

That normally would be a recall for various reasons, but in theory it could be a correction i.e. relabeling in the field, if the batch is small enough and you know where it all is, and the economics justify.

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
Another thought: How fast does your product typically turn over in the field? Maybe this lot has long since been used up. If you could confirm this beforehand with the customers that did receive product from this specific lot, then IMHO there is no recall/field action. If you send the "Dear doctor" letter first and then find out that there is nothing left to recall, then the damage is done...
As an afterthought: How sure are you that this is a singular event? Did you check the copies of the labeling in your DHRs?

D

deuce64

Thanks miregmar and TWA.
I appreciate your opinions. There is certainly work to be done on the CAPA side to verify that this is indeed a one-off situation and further, to improve our systems and processes so this does not happen again.

Just to pressure test your opinions and see if they change - The issue has been detected after selling product to about 10 customers over the course of about 5 months. (a slow moving product). The issue was detected as we were selling the last units from this batch, and therefore, this issue was not instantly detected....it was detected quite some time after release of the product....so the misdeed of distributing mislabeled product has occurred no matter how you slice it. So, the product was violative yesterday, and the day before, and the day before etc. We've put our arms around the issue with the preliminary action of quarantining current product, have aged product coming out in May, and have high confidence that the testing will pass with flying colors (very simple product configuration). Where the scope of customers/product in field is so small, a FSCA would take just a short time to execute (1 month or less) and therefore risk is even further mitigated in the slim chance we would have to perform the FSCA. i haven't found any regulation that specifies when the timing of a FSCA must be executed...only the circumstances which trigger an FSCA. In the circumstance where a product is mislabeled with the wrong diameter, it wold be text book, but here, this label has the potential to be corrected without field action.
Still believe a recall right now is required? thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
N Per the FDA regulations can a medical device be class I despite that it is sterile? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Medical Device Class 2A, non sterile bodyworn packaging requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
N Registering a Class 1 Sterile Medical Device - Currently selling a Non-Sterile 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Non-Sterile Class 2 Medical Device Shelf Life Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Change to Outer Packaging Material/Supplier - Sterile, Class IV Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Shipping Stability for Class III IVD (Non Sterile) Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
J Biocompatibility for Class I Non-Sterile Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W Chinese Distributor Making Counterfeit Products - Class I sterile products China Medical Device Regulations 2
R How to go about package validation on a class II, non-sterile device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Transportation of Class III Sterile Implants - Sterile Filler (Hyaluronic Acid) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Expiry Dates on a Non-Sterile Class 1 Medical Device (5 Year Shelf Life). Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
A Need to register with CA for Class I (Non-Sterile and Non-Measuring) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Packaging Requirements for Non-Sterile Class II Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Class I non-sterile, non-measuring: Requirements fulfiled? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Requirements for Own Branding Class I Non-Sterile Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Process Validation/Equipment Qualification - Class 1A (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M Class I Sterile Application-TGA - What application form do we need to fill in? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
M ISO 14971:2007 Risk Management - Class I A Sterile Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
K Requirements for Exporting from US to EU - Class I MD non-sterile, non-measuring EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J Addition of a Class 1 (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Selling Class IIa medical device (sterile syringes) in USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Non-sterile liquid bandage as Class 1 - Anyone concur or disagree? EU Medical Device Regulations 17
A Documentation required for launch of a non-sterile exempt class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R Nanomaterials used as coating on class I MD - rule 19 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class A PRTD beyond 300°C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F How to register class I device to all European Competent Autorities(CA) when we are European manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12