Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content

We have a class IIa medical device with CE registration and 510k filing underway. For the 510k filing the IFU and labelling had to changed with among those changes a Rx only symbol. This triggered a discussion as the inteded use of the device contains: "shall be used in a clinical environment according to local legislation" and "is to be used by clinical staff according to local legislation".

However, nothing on our IFU and product labelling indicates this. On the US IFU and product labelling this is indicated by the Rx only symbol.
What do you think: is this sufficient for US?
How is this information normally communicated to the end user in Europe?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
From 21 CFR (801.201 (b)(1)):
"The symbol statement "Rx only" or "[rx] only" or the statement "Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a ___", the blank to be filled with the word "physician", "dentist", "veterinarian", or with the descriptive designation of any other practitioner licensed by the law of the State in which the practitioner practices to use or order the use of the device"

The intended requirement is to ensure that only licensed healthcare professionals or their designates (i.e. under the order of those professionals such as unlicensed paramedics) can use it. We place "Rx only" on both the label and IFU and it was never an issue.

Does this previous thread from 2013 help?

Sorry for my late reply (was out of office for a week). I have read the previous thread from 2013 and I agree that adding the 'Rx only' symbol on the label and IFU should be sufficient for the US market.

Also in the EU the device "is to be used by clinical staff according to local legislation". However, both the European label and IFU does not contain this information. I feel we should communicate this to the end user, however I am not sure how to go about this. Does anything like a 'Rx only' symbol/statement exist or Europe?

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Does anything like a 'Rx only' symbol/statement exist or Europe?
I'm not aware of anything for devices. The UK has PoM classification for medicines: Medicines: reclassify your product

You could look at the eIFU regulations (2013/172/EU) which define professional users:
"means persons using the medical device in the course of their work and in the framework of a professional healthcare activity"​

LarsZ

Registered
What struck me in the PoM classification for medicines is the first sentence: "The legal classification of a pack of medicine determines the level of control over its supply." To me this would indicate that no symbol or statement is required, as long as the supply is controlled (how this is done for medicine is another discussion completely).

Does anyone know if such guidelines also exist for medical devices? Would control of supply only to professional users be sufficient as guidance to stay within our intended use? Or are these aspect of the intended use always communicated trough the label/IFU?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S How to register class IIA medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Medical device trial budget - 2 hospitals for Class IIa medical device in Sweden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G Class IIa medical products - PMS report and PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Clinical evaluation for a class IIa medical device - EU MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Can Class IIa Dental Medical Devices be sold into the EU without CE EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B How to certify a Class IIa Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Update Technical File for EU Class IIa Medical Software Products EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V Changing Indication of Use for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
MDD_QNA Several CE Marks on a Repaired Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
MDD_QNA Production vs Repair of Reusable Medical Devices (Class IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
MDD_QNA Class I Medical Device into a higher class (IIa or IIb) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
R Class I Medical Device will be Class IIa after new MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Biocompatibility requirements for a Class IIa medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Technical File Locations - Class I and Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D PPE Requirements in Manufacturing Area of Class IIa Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A ROHS and CE Mark - Requirements for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
5 Help with Medical Device Class IIa Annex V CE Marking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
G How to certificate Class IIa Medical Device Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Canada Bulk Packaging and IFU requirements for Class IIa and IIb Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Selling Class IIa Medical devices in Albania Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Mauritius Class IIA Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Disinfection/Sterilization of Semi-Critical Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Class IIa Medical Device Technical File - Annexes EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D ISO EN 60601 Edition 3 Class IIa Medical Device Compliance Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Bangladesh Class IIA Medical Device MDD Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
T Medical Device PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication) - Class I or Class IIa? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Modification of Class I and Class IIa Surgical Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Class IIa Medical Device - Can I over label to change an address? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Requirements for distribution of Class I and Class IIa CE Marked Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A CE Marking - Annex II Requirements for Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Certificate of Exportability of Class IIA (EU MDD) Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Regulatory Requirements for for Class IIa Electro Medical Devices for South America Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S Medical Device Class IIa Nonsterile ISO 13485 Alternatives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Conformity Assessment choices for a Contract Manufactured Class IIa Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S How do I create a Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
SteveK Medical Device Technical Files (Class IIa & IIb) ? Design Development Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Vacuum Cleaner as a Class IIa Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Clinical Evaluation - Required Qualification - Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 16
P CE Marking - Turkey & European Authorized Representative - Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Documentation of OEM Device - Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Australia - The process to declare conformity for a class IIa medical device? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
L Serial Number labeling for Class IIa Medical device packaged in multi-pack EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Best Risk Analysis Approach (ISO 14971) - Class IIa Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
N Registration/Homologation Colombia & Cuba - Class I and IIa medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Pre-packaged quality systems - Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 27
J Class IIa Medical Device and Subcontracting questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3