Classification Accessory Software medical device

TomQA

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

we currently have a medical device software which is a platform with therapeutic activities/games for post-stroke rehabilitation (will be class IIa with MDR).
We would like to develop a "Patient mobile app" with the following functions :
- patient is able to review his own performances
- Notifications when he need to "play" the activities/games
- Can be used as a "remote control" to play/pause games.

This mobil app therefore is an Accessory (correct?) and my question is : what is its classification ? Since it's an accessory to a class IIa device, does it need to be considered as a class IIa ?
Thank you very much !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ECHO

Involved In Discussions
This mobil app therefore is an Accessory (correct?)
Based on what you mentioned here, I think guess that its an accessory but I feel like there isn't enough information to be sure.
For example, Is this patient mobile app used for other medical device?
Is the medical device capable of operating with out the mobile app?
Does the medical device reference the mobile app in its risk management?

what is its classification ? Since it's an accessory to a class IIa device, does it need to be considered as a class IIa ?
I think it should be a IIa.

TomQA

Starting to get Involved
Hi !
Thanks for your response.

Based on what you mentioned here, I think guess that its an accessory but I feel like there isn't enough information to be sure.
For example, Is this patient mobile app used for other medical device?
Is the medical device capable of operating with out the mobile app?
Does the medical device reference the mobile app in its risk management?
The mobile APP is used exclusively with our medical device and the medical device itself can be used without the mobile app.

For the moment the risks have not yet been fully identified as we're still the development phase but Yes it will be mentioned in the risk management i believe.

Do you think that this mobile app should be added inthe same technical file ?

Thanks again for your response !

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
a medical device software which is a platform with therapeutic activities/games
Based on this intended use, I would think your app is a medical device, and not accessory

I would think Class IIa => See Rule 11.

Do you think that this mobile app should be added inthe same technical file ?
This really comes down to intended use. At the moment, it seems like a "medical device system" to me. It is possible for one technical file for the "medical device system"

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
In a normal world (i.e., before the MDR), this would be at most class I or maybe even not a medical device.
The feature "Notifications when he need to "play" the activities/games" probably makes it a medical device. There may be other features.

Normally, again before MDR, this would be a Class I, and maybe you can make an argument that this is a Class I device because it doesn't really provide any information that can be used for treatment or diagnosis (as stated in Rule 11). So, I think you could make the argument for Class I.

To be conservative, you could just make the app part of the system as a Class IIa device.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
shimonv EU classification for a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 16
B Classification of screening system EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T FDA level of concern vs IEC 62304 safety classification - 510(k) exempt device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
L SBS - CLASSIFICATION Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Software item classification and Detailed Design IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W AR and Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Classification - "Metabolic Means" EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Software Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Reusable Needle Guide Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Identifying GAMP Classification: GAMP 4 or GAMP 5 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Classification of product (measuring or not?) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Question on KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis device) classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
SANTHSH Consumables, Paints, End-covers, NDE Chemicals & Tools suppliers classification and evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
G Classification of a container containing a liquified gas EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2021-24 - Guidance on classification of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Nasal Saline Solution for Irrigation purpose classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Classification of a Sterile Procedure Pack EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Device Classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
B IVDR Classification and accreditation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R IEC 60601-2-57 light source classification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
N Cleanroom Classification Change Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Blood establishment computer software EU classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 16
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Programmer accessories classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R ELISA reader - IVDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 9
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Classification of USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Surgical Instrument Tray Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Classification of Clean Rooms Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 8