Classification as medical device or non-medical device?

L

Low IQ

Hi everyone,
Greetings from South Africa.
I currently feel like such an :ca: ! I am investigating the regulatory route possibilities for a newly developed infant apnoea monitor. As a medical device manufacturer our initial thinking was to go the 13485 route, as it is the one we are familiar with. As I understand it, if we classify the product as a medical device it would probably be a class 1(acc. to the MDD). After further investigation it was discovered that similar products, are in fact, not classified as medical devices. We are now considering ISO 9001: 2000 certification as opposed to 13485. After all that useless info here is the question I need answered: What type of certification would we require to market a disposable (product life of approx. 14 months), battery powered non-medical device in the US? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:thanx:

A

Asherlee

Medical device or not

Hi,

From my experience, I suggest that you write directly to the FDA and ask them to confirm that your apnea motor is, in fact, not classified as a medical device, and hence is exempt from a 510(k).

The following link "http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/devadvice/314.html" lists examples of when a 510(k) is not required for devices, but you claim that your monitor is not a device (so I understand).

As you probably know, the FDA published a 510(k) Guidance Document on Apnea Monitors on July 17, 2002; so I think it wise for you to get their official confirmation that your monitor is not classified as a device. Once the FDA exempts your device from a 510(k), they can inform you how to get info. re exporting the product to the USA.

Regards,

Asherlee

Top Bottom