Classification column - PFMEA - Customer doesn't identify any critical characteristic

A

Annette

If the customer does not identify any critical/significant characteristics but we have, do we fill out the classification column in the PFMEA?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I have, typically, reserved that column for customer identified special and critical characteristics. I'm kind of on the hedge as far as our internal symbology being reflected on the customer edition of any documentation. Once it's there it takes an act of the president to get it removed.

A

Annette

Thanks. We are being audited and they have issued us a minor for not putting our critical characteristics in the column. The FMEA book states that you may use the column and that is what I have done in the pass. How do I get around this minor?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Annette said:
Thanks. We are being audited and they have issued us a minor for not putting our critical characteristics in the column. The FMEA book states that you may use the column and that is what I have done in the pass. How do I get around this minor?

By asking the auditor where the "shall" is. There isn't one.

A

Annette

The wrap up meeting is at 4:30 and I will ask to see where shall is stated. Thanks again for the advice.

R

ralphsulser

Also be careful about using the term "critical characteristics" if they are not related to safety. You can call them special, or SPC, or something other than critical. These could have legal ramifications if something were to be out of tolerance, or cause a functional issue.

R

Ridof

Annette said:
If the customer does not identify any critical/significant characteristics but we have, do we fill out the classification column in the PFMEA?

The auditor will bring you to ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.2.1.b); requirements not stated by the customer but necessary for specified or intended use, where known.
And TS 16949:2002 (if you use it) Clause 7.3.2.3 Special characteristic,
and ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.3.3.d).:)

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Ridof said:
The auditor will bring you to ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.2.1.b); requirements not stated by the customer but necessary for specified or intended use, where known.
And TS 16949:2002 (if you use it) Clause 7.3.2.3 Special characteristic,
and ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.3.3.d).:)

For FMEAs, I assume you are automotive and TS.

TS 16949:2002 Clause 7.3.2.3 Special characteristic, would be the most relevant to this.

R

Ridof

hjilling said:
For FMEAs, I assume you are automotive and TS.

TS 16949:2002 Clause 7.3.2.3 Special characteristic, would be the most relevant to this.

Correct Sir, we are producing exterior automotive accessories e.g: bumper guard, roof rack, side step, side body molding, and alarm wiring harness.
:agree1:

Top Bottom