Classification of Nonconformance - Project Extended without Contract Revision

P

pratapkrg - 2003

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. this is my First post.

i am working for iso 9001 2000 certified software developement company. During the one of our recent Internal Audits the following things were observed.

Project Initiation Note says Expected Project end date is 31-Dec-2003.

The Statement of Work(Contract) also says the Project end date is 31-Dec-2003 and this is a service project(Data conversion).

But contract got extended and the project is continuing.
but when auditing the auditee is not able to show the latest Statement Of Work(Contract) or any evidence to show that the Project is extended.

My question is

What is the clause(ISO) under which this NC can be classified.

Thanks in advance
Pratap Kumar Gogineni

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tom Harris

Re: Classification of NC

pratapkrg said:

Hello Pratap - and welcome to this exciting place!

My very learned and knowledgeable colleagues will no doubt answer your question more directly.

My comment is that there is no requirement to assign an ISO 9001 clause number to every occasion when something is discovered in an internal audit.

The problem you describe is, presumably, a non-conformity with the procedure specified in your own development life-cycle? So, wouldn't it be more useful to refer to that instead of referring to ISO 9001?

R

rrramirez

Project Initiation Note says Expected Project end date is 31-Dec-2003.
There are several clauses or elements where you could classify this NC:
7.2.1 a)
7.2.2 b)
7.2.3 b)
7.5.1 e)
8.5.2 a)

Even if there is not a requirement to associate a NC to a clause or element, if you don't do that, the auditee does not have a precise "cause" to implement an effective corrective action.

It's a good audit practice to associate a NC to a specific element or clause in the NCR in order to allow the auditee to perform an effective and efficient corrective action.

You could follow the guidance of element 4 d) of ISO 19011:2002.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Classification of NC

pratapkrg said:

But contract got extended and the project is continuing.
but when auditing the auditee is not able to show the latest Statement Of Work(Contract) or any evidence to show that the Project is extended.
I am not a software person, so I might be way off base, but....

Is the nonconformance that the "contract" was not extended, or that the project is going to take longer than originally planned?

(Sorry to ask such a remedial question, but the more I read this post the more confused I got)

If, in fact, your issue is with the contract not being amended properly, I'd go with, maybe, 7.2.2? ..shall ensure that relevant documents are amended and relevant personnel are made aware of the changed requirements

If your concern is that by extending your projects expected completion date, then it is probably more in line with planning of product realization (7.1) or maybe corrective or preventive action under determining and implementing action needed?

IMHO, if it is an issue of contracts not being amended properly you have a more severe nonconformance than if you are extending due dates on projects/actions. Unless this happens all the time, and since your original completion date is still seven or eight months off, I'd go with an observation or opportunity for improvement on the due date issue, or maybe a minor nonconformance on the contract issue? Pick one, don't double up on NCR's.

All of this is speculative on my part, as I think that maybe we don't have all the info we need to make a good assessment.:confused:

T

Tom Harris

Re: What is the clause(ISO) under which this NC can be classified.

rrramirez said:

It's a good audit practice to associate a NC to a specific element or clause in the NCR in order to allow the auditee to perform an effective and efficient corrective action.
Hi rrramirez

Can you please explain how that works - how does associating a problem to a clause relate to a better (more effective and efficient) discovery and elimination of its root causes?

M

M Greenaway

Tom

I think the effectiveness is realised in the shortening of the argument about whether it is truly a non-compliance or not.

P.S. i would hang it on the clause that says something about changes to contracts or orders, communicating changes and keeping records - or something like that (sorry dont have my ISO9001 to hand).

M Greenaway said:
---X---
P.S. i would hang it on the clause that says something about changes to contracts or orders, communicating changes and keeping records - or something like that (sorry dont have my ISO9001 to hand).
Yes, I agree, and that would be 7.2.3b:

The organization shall determine and implement effective arrangements for communicating with customers in relation to

a) product information,
b) enquiries, contracts or order handling, including amendments, and
c) customer feedback, including customer complaints.

/Claes

T

Tom Harris

M Greenaway said:

I think the effectiveness is realised in the shortening of the argument about whether it is truly a non-compliance or not.
But surely - in terms of an internal audit - we don't care as much about complying with a clause as we do about a situation (to take Pratap's case) where an employee isn't sure of the committed delivery date of a project on which he/she is working.

Don't we want to ask "what can we do to make sure that doesn't happen in future?" rather than agonise about which clause to hang it on?!?!? :mad:

In other words, if we must talk compliance, let's focus on compliance to our own system, not to 9001! With all this talk of clauses flying around in companies, no wonder people get pissed off with 'audits' and with 'quality'!!

P

pratapkrg - 2003

Thank you all

I am really amazed by looking at so many responses. i am really happy to be part of such an active forum.

And I am sorry may be I was not able put forward my problem properly.

I will explain it again

We have a service project, which involves conversion of images in to data. The client sends us Scanned images of feedback forms filled by their customers. We need to enter this information in to a Database and send it back on daily basis. So every day morning we get some images from client, which will be converted into database and sent back by evening. And initially the contract was till Dec2002. Later on the Client extended the contract and we are billing him also. But during Internal Audit the auditee is not able to evidence that the project Contract is extended.

the above non confermance is classified under which clause of ISO 9001 2000.

Thanks in advance
Pratap Kumar Gogineni

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
In that case, I'd go back to my original thoughts_

"7.2.2? ..shall ensure that relevant documents are amended and relevant personnel are made aware of the changed requirements"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Internal Audit Nonconformance Classification Internal Auditing 18
P Nonconformance Classification - Fulfillment of Legal Requirements for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Classification of Clean Rooms Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Barrier cream classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S CE Mark - Classification Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D MDR 2017/745 Classification Guide EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU MDR Classification Rule 11 – what??? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Fire hazard classification - Clause in IEC 60601 about gauze and electricity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
J MDR Annex VIII, Rule 6 Classification - Implication for lower risk CV products? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Device Classification - India CDCSO - How to classify the device? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational EU – MANUAL ON BORDERLINE AND CLASSIFICATION IN THE COMMUNITY REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR MEDICAL DEVICES Version 1.22 (05-2019) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
E Wristwatch Skin-proximal glucose sensor - Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA – Medical Devices; Anesthesiology Devices; Classification of the Ventilatory Electrical Impedance Tomograph Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical Device Re-Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Class IIB Device - IEC 62304 Software Classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
C Suppliers re-classification from Critical to Significant or from Significant to Non-critical Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
J Medical Device re-classification and marketing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework) and ISO 9001 - Processes Based Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational TGA – Several proposed changes to classification to better align with the EU MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Medical Device News Manual On Borderline And Classification In The Community Regulatory Framework For Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA Final Rule – Medical Device Classification Procedures: Incorporating Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Biocompatibility classification for Lancet CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
sagai Classification for compiler's runtime libraries IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
K Classification of IVF/ICSI devices (micromanipulator) in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device News Medical Device Borderline and Classification Manual 1.20 - October 2018 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Classification of a device that uses an existing battery IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1