SBS - The best value in QMS software

Classification of product for clinical trials

Daliane

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,

I am supporting my client during their clinical trial plan in Germany.

Their product is a class IIa product, but they have registered the product in Germany as class I to receive the CE-mark quicker in order to speed up the clinical trials.
The purpose of these trials are to gain data to publish in Journals. This data will not be used for conformity assessment.
Is this method valid?

But later, of course, they plan to place the product on the market as class IIa. But as I assume the data they gained under the device being registered as class I, I think this data is not valid anymore to support the conformity assessment of a class IIa product, is this correct? Do they have to repeat all studies for the conformity assessment or only partly?

The company is not in the EU. Their EU representative has agreed and registered the product as class I. The notified body has classified the product as class IIa as it is. So basically there is the proof that the device is safe and meets compliance.

But I am still sceptical about this process, register a class IIa product as class I to collect data for Journals. And later conduct trials again for the conformity assessment.

Can you please leave your opinion on that? The authority already told me this is not valid, but how come the EU representative made it to register the product as class I? I want to avoid my client to run into a big problem and loose time and money.

Thanks a lot

Regards
Daliane

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Yodon.
The EU rep will register a product per your request. it's not their role really to determine its classification; It's the manufacturer's responsibility. And if the notified body has already determined that its class IIa you cannot ignore that and say "I have a class I registration through EU rep". It won't fly.

Shimon

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
I actually have seen a case where a device was accepted to be class I by the competent authority of one EU country. The manufacturer still applied for a certificate for class IIa with a NB. I sadly didn't follow up on this, so I don't know the details. I just remember there being trouble because it was not made perfectly clear that the device sold (as class I) was not approved by that NB, and the company is still in business.

Daliane

Starting to get Involved
Thanks all for your feedback.

The manufacturer informed me now that the clinical studies they want to conduct in Germany are not to proof performance, safety or intended use. (For conformity assessment they use the clinical trials conducted in their country).

So the clinical studies in Germany are only research studies. The KOL want to use this data to publish in journals.
Hence, as described above, to speed up the process they self-declare it as class I first to get CE and to enable the doctors to use it asap, otherwise it will take too long. In the same time they apply for CE mark to register the product as class IIa, and use the clinical data from their country (Taiwan).
Do you still think this is not a valid strategy? They are aware that research studies fall under MDR "other clinical studies" and need to fulfil the requirements listed there.

Appreciate your opinion.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Best,
Daliane

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
So the clinical studies in Germany are only research studies.
It doesn't matter if this is considered an "other clinical investigation" per Article 82. If this is considered a medical device, you cannot change the classification, which is based on the regulation and device risk. Now, on the other hand, if this is not a medical device, or is not acting as one during this study, this might be a workaround for gathering data; however, in this case, it would not even be considered Class I because it would not be a device at all.

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hence, as described above, to speed up the process they self-declare it as class I first to get CE and to enable the doctors to use it asap, otherwise it will take too long.
What do they mean by this! Is regulatory compliance a joke to your client! The devices are classified based on the level of risk it possess. So, definitely the risk associated with a Class I device is different from the risk associated with the Class IIa device. Of course it takes time get approval just because the regulator needs evidence about the safety of the device prior to using it on patient. No one can just switch between device classification on their own just to fulfill their business strategy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B FDA Product Classification - Self Treatment Software Applications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Insufflation Tubing & Filter Set Product Classification question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Ajit Basrur Guidance Document - Medical Device Classification Product Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Product Release and Component Classification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A FDA "Product Code" Classification Basics US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
B How do I search within a Product Regulatory Classification Category 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Product classification of SFDA for borderline products China Medical Device Regulations 4
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Classification of a new product - Is it a Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M Medical Device Classification Guidelines for Product Registration in Colombia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
M MDD Classification - Marketer Has Misclassified A Product? EU Medical Device Regulations 22
P Nonconforming Product classification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Classification of USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Surgical Instrument Tray Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Classification of Clean Rooms Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Barrier cream classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S CE Mark - Classification Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D MDR 2017/745 Classification Guide EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU MDR Classification Rule 11 – what??? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Fire hazard classification - Clause in IEC 60601 about gauze and electricity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
J MDR Annex VIII, Rule 6 Classification - Implication for lower risk CV products? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Device Classification - India CDCSO - How to classify the device? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational EU – MANUAL ON BORDERLINE AND CLASSIFICATION IN THE COMMUNITY REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR MEDICAL DEVICES Version 1.22 (05-2019) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
E Wristwatch Skin-proximal glucose sensor - Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA – Medical Devices; Anesthesiology Devices; Classification of the Ventilatory Electrical Impedance Tomograph Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0