Classification of product (measuring or not?)

Hey Elsmar Cove, hoping someone here could help me shed a bit of light on my issue.

We're manufacturing hospital beds in North America, but we're soon wanting to market in the UK market along with Europe eventually.

Now, my dilemma comes from whether or not our product is classified as having a "measuring function". We have a scale on our beds, but strictly for reference only, as indicated in our user's manual. It is not intended to be used for dosage or medical treatment.

MEDDEX 2.1/5 is a guideline pointing me towards that we do not have a "measuring function" since criteria A (it is not intended to measure a parameter) and C (accuracy can't lead to adverse effect on the patient, since it's stated to be used as a reference only) are not met.

2017/745 section 6.2 (f) wouldn't be applicable since it does not have a "measuring function"
2017/745 section 7 (b) would also not be applicable for the same reason
93/42/EEC section 10 (with sub sections 10.1 and 10.2)

Am I right for thinking that our product does NOT have a measuring function based on the documentation available?

EDIT : just realized there's a better sub-forum for this, if a mod would move it there it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

mboynton

Starting to get Involved
Hi SLandry92,

I agree with your approach of consulting the criteria defined in MEDDEV 2.1/5.

If I understand your description of the bed (if by scale you mean a scale for weighing the patient in the bed), then I think that the scale may very meet criteria a) under the MEDDEV since patient weight can be considered a physiological parameter.

I think it is plausible that you may determine criteria c) does not apply. However, note that the MEDDEV 2.1/5 considers commonly understood use as well as the manufacturer's accompanying documentation.

"The expression « claimed implicitly » covers cases where the user, on the basis of the designation of the device or of its accompanying documents, or on the basis of the common use is entitled to expect accuracy where the accuracy of the measurement has an impact on the diagnosis or therapy of the patient."

Based on this, you may need to argue further why a physician considering the patient weight displayed by the scale as an input to a therapeutic response/ treatment decision should not be part of the common use/ expected use implicit for the scale. It could help to define in the technical file what other non-measuring purpose the scale does serve - if the weight value is "for reference only", then for what is it referred to, other than determining treatment?

On a separate point, you may also like to take a look at 2014/31/EU or 2014/32/EU on weighing instruments, too.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Now, my dilemma comes from whether or not our product is classified as having a "measuring function". We have a scale on our beds, but strictly for reference only, as indicated in our user's manual. It is not intended to be used for dosage or medical treatment.

I'm sorry, but if I bought a bed with a scale built in I am going to assume that it has a measuring function, and reasonably expect a level of accuracy commensurate with the task. Why else would you build a scale into a bed?
I would like to see how easy it is to find the disclaimer in your manual. I bet it doesn't mention that the scale is "for reference only" in your advertisements...

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
You wont be able to ignore the scale. It has performance criteria and will likely need regulations.

You wont be able to ignore the scale. It has performance criteria and will likely need regulations.
Exactly what I figured too, you guys just indirectly confirmed that we shouldn't have a reference only type mention in the user's manual and it was exactly what I was looking for!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B FDA Product Classification - Self Treatment Software Applications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Insufflation Tubing & Filter Set Product Classification question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Ajit Basrur Guidance Document - Medical Device Classification Product Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Product Release and Component Classification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A FDA "Product Code" Classification Basics US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
B How do I search within a Product Regulatory Classification Category 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Product classification of SFDA for borderline products China Medical Device Regulations 4
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Classification of a new product - Is it a Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M Medical Device Classification Guidelines for Product Registration in Colombia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
M MDD Classification - Marketer Has Misclassified A Product? EU Medical Device Regulations 22
P Nonconforming Product classification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
T Software item classification and Detailed Design IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
T Classification Accessory Software medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
W AR and Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Classification - "Metabolic Means" EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Software Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Reusable Needle Guide Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Identifying GAMP Classification: GAMP 4 or GAMP 5 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Question on KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis device) classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
SANTHSH Consumables, Paints, End-covers, NDE Chemicals & Tools suppliers classification and evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
G Classification of a container containing a liquified gas EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2021-24 - Guidance on classification of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Nasal Saline Solution for Irrigation purpose classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Classification of a Sterile Procedure Pack EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Device Classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
B IVDR Classification and accreditation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R IEC 60601-2-57 light source classification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
N Cleanroom Classification Change Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Blood establishment computer software EU classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 16
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Programmer accessories classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R ELISA reader - IVDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 9
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Classification of USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Surgical Instrument Tray Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1