Classification rules for Canada - Electrosurgical and Cryosurgical Equipment

M
Our company submitted application for device licences with Health Canada for Electrosurgical and Cryosurgical Equipment(Class 2 - Reg.#884.4120 & 878.4350)
CANADA did not accept our product for review as Class 2 and classified devices as Class 3. I was under impression that Canada and USA use harmonized codes...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

Yea Kevin, I'm here.

This is a new one on me as well. I will look into it and advise further, regardless of what I find.

Regards,
Don

M
Don @ Kevin, thanks for your help. I have the standard for Canada. I am not sure, that
they fully know or understand it. What can be other reason for classification of non-invasive deveces as invasive????

I think this is all about money. The base fee for Class 2 application is $200(canadian)
However, for Class 3 in addition to application fee you must pay:
1. Description fee - $140
2. Summary "studies", each component- $1,470
3. Label review - $170
4. If in vitro device - another $470

Total for 1 device review - $2,420

We have 20 different devices in Cryofamily, so if we go thru with this,- it will cost more than $48K for this application!!!!

D

Don Winton

Mike,

I could not find the answer to your specific question last night, but this is what I did find.

FDA product codes and classifications can be found at http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/prodcode.html

From that location, I was able to determine that the regulations you quoted are indeed FDA Class II devices:

Device: ELECTROCAUTERY, GYNECOLOGIC (AND ACCESSORIES)
Medical Specialty: Obstetrics/Gynecology
Product Code: HGI
Device Class: 2
Tier: 2
Regulation Number: 884.4120

Device: SYSTEM, CRYOSURGICAL, LIQUID NITROGEN, FOR UROLOGY
Medical Specialty: General & Plastic Surgery
Product Code: FAZ
Regulation Number: 878.4350

Device: UNIT, CRYOSURGICAL, ACCESSORIES
Medical Specialty: General & Plastic Surgery
Product Code: GEH
Regulation Number: 878.4350

After review of the Global Harmonization Task Force (GHTF) members, I found these from Canada:

Mr. Kim Dix
Head, Compliance Unit
Bureau of Compliance and Enforcement
Therapeutic Products Programme
Health Protection Branch
Health Canada
11 Hollard Avenue, Tower "A", 2nd Floor
Hollard Cross, A.L. 3102A2
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1B9, CANADA
Tele: 613-954-6666
Fax: 613-954-0941
e-mail: [email protected]

Mr. Kevin Murray
Director, Regulatory Affairs and Communications
Medical Devices Canada
401 The West Mall, Suite 510
Etobicoke, Ontario M9C 5J5, CANADA
Tele: 1-416-620-1915
Fax: 1-416-620-1595
e-mail: [email protected]

Perhaps they may be able to address your specific question. The GHTF site: The Global Harmonization Task Force (GHTF) was conceived in 1992 in an effort to respond to the growing need for international harmonization in the regulation of medical devices.

Chairmanship of the GHTF is rotated amongst the regulatory representatives of the five Founding Members. The European Commission (EC) is the current Chair.. I was not able to find a document that specifically stated that FDA and Health and Welfare Canada had agreed upon harmonized standards.

I then went to this site *** DEAD LINK REMOVED *** which led me to the International agreements site. There were not any documents there either related to harmonization, but it was getting late and I was tired.

Hope the above information is useful.

Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by Don Winton (edited 03-24-99).]

M

Monica Lewis

Hi Mike,

That was an interesting topic. Check out the EU classification rules according to Medical Device Directive at http://europa.eu.int

I know that this will not help you to get registrated in canada, but the issue about classification is a hot subject.

Regards
Monica

M
Hi Don & Monica,

Thank you for your useful information.
In the last two days I left 3 messages to
3 different people with in Health Canada. Hopefully, someone will respond.

In addition, I will try to call members of Global Harmonization Task Force...

I will keep you inform.

Regards,
Mike

M
Don, Kevin, Monica

I'm happy to report that after 15 min. of sparring with Dr. Freelan (director of Therapeutic Products Programme, Health Canada), we addressed this issue.

We got Class 2, however, the real news that Canada classification system a little different from FDA and ISO/CE standards.
You must understand the definitions, your product and you need to be able to negotiate.

If someone have any questions, please contact me.

Regards,
Mike

D

Don Winton

Congrats on your success. I will keep your offer in mind and do stop in often.

Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by Don Winton (edited 03-27-99).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T CFDA seeks for public comments on newly revised medical device classification rules China Medical Device Regulations 1
B KOREA MFDS (KFDA) Medical Device Classification Rules Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M United Arab Emirates Classification Rules for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
R FDA Rules on Medical Device Classification Listings? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
thisby_ FDA, Classification Rules & Medical Software Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Classification of USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Surgical Instrument Tray Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Classification of Clean Rooms Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Barrier cream classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S CE Mark - Classification Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D MDR 2017/745 Classification Guide EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU MDR Classification Rule 11 – what??? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Fire hazard classification - Clause in IEC 60601 about gauze and electricity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
J MDR Annex VIII, Rule 6 Classification - Implication for lower risk CV products? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Device Classification - India CDCSO - How to classify the device? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational EU – MANUAL ON BORDERLINE AND CLASSIFICATION IN THE COMMUNITY REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR MEDICAL DEVICES Version 1.22 (05-2019) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
E Wristwatch Skin-proximal glucose sensor - Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA – Medical Devices; Anesthesiology Devices; Classification of the Ventilatory Electrical Impedance Tomograph Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical Device Re-Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Class IIB Device - IEC 62304 Software Classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
C Suppliers re-classification from Critical to Significant or from Significant to Non-critical Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
J Medical Device re-classification and marketing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework) and ISO 9001 - Processes Based Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational TGA – Several proposed changes to classification to better align with the EU MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Medical Device News Manual On Borderline And Classification In The Community Regulatory Framework For Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0