Clause 4.4.3b: Fi Donc! (Phew! That Smells! in English)

A company in nearby Örebro (Nearby... Well, it is about 100km away) will probably have a bit of communication from external interested parties to report in their next Management Review. As a matter of fact they will probably never hear the last of it. Their business is to detoxify hazardous substances. Yesterday they worked on waste from a paper mill and made a complete pig's ear of it: Somehow, they released the most awful pong:yuk: that made its way here (of course we had to be downwind :rolleyes: ) and was felt even in Stockholm a further 150km away.

As a result people all over the place were wrinkling their noses, looking around accusingly wondering who had "vented".

On a more serious note: Just imagine if it had been something dangerous instead of just disgusting...

/Claes

G

Gert Sorensen

Re: Clause 4.4.3b: Fi Donc!

Not so funny a thought when I consider that there have been (and still are) plans to ship around 6,000 tons of toxic waste (HCB) from Australia to Denmark where we are supposed to dispose of it by incineration :frust::(

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Clause 4.4.3b: Fi Donc!

Not so funny a thought when I consider that there have been (and still are) plans to ship around 6,000 tons of toxic waste (HCB) from Australia to Denmark where we are supposed to dispose of it by incineration :frust::(

Gert, ewwwwww........ :yuk: So sorry to hear this...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
OK - So... In English what does "Fi Donc" translate to?

As to 4.4.3 - Did you communicate your displeasure to them? :argue:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I know of a company that treats spent etchant (PCB) around my place. Once in a while, some unscrupulous customers will dump their other chemical waste into the etchant causing their processes to go haywire.

Once, the whole place was covered in a white mist with strong ammonia stench, resulting in a big scare for the surrounding areas.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Social Responsibility, SA8000 and ISO 26000

Does this fit into the Social Responsibility realm? Is it smell? And - Is it *more* than smell (such as the chemical contents and concentrations of each)?

ISO 26000 - A new standard formula: Social + Responsibility = Reward

I asked about SA8000 - Social Responsibility in a very old thread here where Sidney was typing about it (probably in the old JenneJohn Listserve when I was doing some copy and paste in the "old" days).

I read a headline (I admit I didn't read the article {aka RTFA}), but apparently the US Surgeon General came out with a "One Cigarette" 'warning'. Yet, with outside air, especially in big cities, could the smoke from one cigarette be *that* significant?

Just one cigarette can harm DNA, Surgeon General says.

There are so many harmful chemicals we are exposed to that one cigarette, in the scheme of things all told, couldn't be statistically significant. Especially when one considers how many generations of people used cigarettes as they raised children all the while smoking cigarettes. Some here may remember the 1950's and into the 1960's there were doctors recommending cigarette brands on TV and radio. My mother smoked between 2 and 3 packs a day until she was almost 85 (she's now 94), and all 5 of us kids were exposed to cigarette smoke.

I'm not advocating smoking cigarettes by any means, but there are a lot of chemicals out there just walking around in most any city (and these days even in the country).

Of course, the pollution record is Wikipedia reference-linkBhopal_disaster.

Not to mention "fracking" for gas and what it is doing to water aquifers. Oh, my. I better stop here lest I bring up things like Wikipedia reference-linkLove_Canal and the current mine slurry waste ponds at so many coal mines.

Just some evil evening thoughts....

What are the public authorities doing ? If you can smell it 100 KM away, what happens to those in the neighbourhood ? Any information on hospitalization due to this emission ? Hope it is not another BHOPAL. Best wishes to all of you to come out of this at the earliest.

With best regards,

Ramakrishnan

I believe it's French and means: "What if..."
Yes, it is French, but the translation would be something like "Oh fie!", or more literally ":yuk:". The English translation added to the title is just about right, too. Sorry about the confusion, but the expression fit so very well...

As to 4.4.3 - Did you communicate your displeasure to them? :argue:
Not personally. Believe me, there was absolutley no need to do that: Others already have, and the papers are full of it (pun intended), The company in question is in full damage control mode.

What are the public authorities doing ? If you can smell it 100 KM away, what happens to those in the neighbourhood ? Any information on hospitalization due to this emission ? Hope it is not another BHOPAL.
No worries, nobody got hurt, but your questions are right on the money as it was felt in Stockholm, some 250km from the source... Fortunately, the odeur is gone now, but it smelled like an interesting combination of rotten fish and eggs and... um... merde. Thoroughly discusting at any rate..

/Claes

Top Bottom