Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
This is not encouraging--and I eat a lot of fish (rather than meat).
If you care about the environment you shouldn't be eating anything out of the oceans. They are already devastated (some say beyond repair) and you are sponsoring their continued destruction.
I suppose plastic-to-oil would at least destroy the microplastics (and produce a saleable product) assuming they could be collected which is not a sure thing because a lot of them sink in the ocean.
Always look for the $ trail. Whatever drives profit will prevail. Whatever doesn't will hardly fly.

Bill Levinson

Industrial Statistician and Trainer
If you care about the environment you shouldn't be eating anything out of the oceans. They are already devastated (some say beyond repair) and you are sponsoring their continued destruction.

Always look for the $ trail. Whatever drives profit will prevail. Whatever doesn't will hardly fly.
Profit is necessary to make anything work. Henry Ford made a lot of money by finding ways to reuse what would have otherwise been waste, such as waste wood--that is how we got Kingsford charcoal.

A problem with plastic recycling is that you have to sort it. Some plastic products are not identified by recycling classification and of course microplastics fall into this category. They do however contain a lot of carbon and hydrogen (fuel) that is polymerized and, if the polymer can be broken up, the product can be sold as (for example) heating oil but fuel is probably the least optimum use. Maybe the products could be sold as chemical process feedstocks to produce higher-value products including more plastics (which, at the end of their useful life, can be reprocessed yet again). Which reminded me to look at what happens when you mix supercritical steam--that is water that is so hot and under such high pressure that there is no longer a difference between liquid and solid--with plastics.

Supercritical solution
"The world is paying increasing attention to the broad concepts of sustainability and circulatory economics. This focus will certainly affect plastics recycling in the near future. In particular, discarded plastics that are accumulating in the world’s oceans and waterways are clearly evident and negatively viewed. " and it mentions Boyan Slat and the Ocean Cleanup.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Profit is necessary to make anything work.
I agree that profit is a strong driver (this is essentially what I was saying) - that's the reason IMO that recycling is taking off so slowly or not at all (depends on where and what). But I think that profit is not the only human motivator. Perhaps a more accurate statement would be "Profit is necessary to make anything work in the current prevailing capitalist system".
They do however contain a lot of carbon and hydrogen (fuel) that is polymerized and, if the polymer can be broken up, the product can be sold as (for example) heating oil but fuel is probably the least optimum use.
I see this as an oversimplified view. The question is what does it take (and how much it costs) for "the polymer to be broken up" properly. Not everything containing carbon and hydrogen is readily-beneficial fuel. It is the manner of how the elements are arranged together (typically with other intentional elements, and don't forget contaminants) that matters. Yes, you can burn most plastics waste, but the sum total of your operation (including retrieval) is not necessarily positive, certainly not in $ terms. Additionally, when you burn a mixture of (somewhat unknown composition) plastics under conditions that aren't optimised, and sometimes aren't really controlled, you run a real risk of generating and releasing significant harmful pollution.

In short, there's a lot of wisdom in the triple-R approach, and these Rs order DOES matter. Only it's so much easier to go on doing what we always did, then cry about freak storms, floods, heatwaves and wildfires.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A problem with plastic recycling is that you have to sort it.
The latest I have seen is robotic "pickers" which practically eliminate humans for separating plastics on a moving line. I can't remember where I saw it - Probably in a news article. The robot arms moved very fast and were said to be very accurate.

It does still come back to how much can actually be recycled. Many plastics can not be recycled into plastics again. Then again:

Plastic bottle homes

How to Construct Houses With Plastic Bottles !!

The house that Tateh built ... out of sand-filled plastic bottles

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The latest I have seen is robotic "pickers" which practically eliminate humans for separating plastics on a moving line. I can't remember where I saw it - Probably in a news article. The robot arms moved very fast and were said to be very accurate.
Like every engineering task, there are clever ways to go about it. Just as an example, it's generally possible to separate polyolefins (PE, PP etc.) from other plastics through floating/sinking in water - polyolefins' specific gravity is normally <1, while some other palstics are >1 (water is 1 of course).

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the question of whether it can be made economical, large-scale. No one will buy the end products if they cost more (and are lower quality) than virgin resins. Anecdotal success stories are nice and maybe inspiring, but to make a real difference it has to succeed large-scale.

It does still come back to how much can actually be recycled. Many plastics can not be recycled into plastics again. Then again:

Plastic bottle homes

This is the 2nd R - Reuse, which is better than the 3rd - Recycle. But again, I'm afraid it's quite anecdotal. I remember reading a similar story in National Geographic Magazine in the 80s or 90s (can't remember). I think in that story it was glass bottles and aluminium cans though.
The best choice is the 1st R - Reduce. But it's also the hardest.

Bill Levinson

Industrial Statistician and Trainer

Plastic bottle homes

I did read about these. If the bottles are empty they are excellent insulators but the question is how to reinforce them. I can see how sand-filled bottles could serve as bricks, and they do not come apart in the rain like sun-dried bricks. Essentially free building materials that turn waste into something useful.

They apparently used amphorae for this purpose back in Rome. 8 Glass Bottle Houses | BEACH

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Essentially free building materials that turn waste into something useful.
Anecdotally, maybe. But at any significant scale, they're only free to the extent that someone has already invested enough to make them available at the right place, time and condition.

To make a real dent, and to solve technical issues (like reinforcement which you brought up), things have to be standardised to an extent, and that means that some sort of system must first be put in place. These things cost money.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
D Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
S ISO 7 and 8 Clean Room Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Material for PUW used to cleaning Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Implantable medical device cleaning validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Looking for ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Cleaning Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cleaning and Disinfection Validation Sample Size of 3? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Cleaning validation for Molding Tools? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Cleaning Validations for Reusable Products - ANSI/AAMI TIR30:2011 Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Small Cast Iron Part Cleaning Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Cleaning Fluids and RoHS2 Declaration Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A Cleaning of Medical Device Storage Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Using Ozone as a Cleaning Agent in Purified Water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Best Practices in the Control of Cleaning Materials Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Production Equipment Cleaning Protocol Example Needed Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
V Standard for Cleaning and Washing Metal Stampings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Cleanroom Cleaning Agents for cleaning a Class 7 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
G ISO 17664 Reusable Low Risk Medical Device Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning of Peek Optima ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Seeking information on use of Byotrol Cleaning Chemicals in Pharma Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Glass Bead Blast Cleaning Spec TT-C-490 Rev D Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L Can I produce Cosmetics and Household Cleaning Products in the same Facility? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L Nutritional, Cosmetics and Cleaning Products in Same Facility Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Cleaning Resuable Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
I Cleaning Validation for Durapore Tape Cutting Machine EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Cleaning Validation Protocols for a Pharmaceutical Company Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Using 93 % alcohol for cleaning Printer Head Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E Ultrasonic Cleaning of Orthopedic Implants - Detergents and Frequency - How? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Sidney Vianna Cleaning up the Global Compact: Dealing with Corporate Free Riders Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
M Cleaning of Orthopaedic Implants before Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Demineralized (DM) Water Specifications - Cleaning Orthopaedic Implants Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
F Airport Internal Audit Checklist (Cleaning, Project Process, Maintenance, etc) Internal Auditing 3
S Cleaning Validation NOEL and MACO - Non Human Products Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Equipment for Cleaning various materials over a Wide Area Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Validation of Ultrasonic Cleaning Process for Basic Tools & Buffing Compound ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Cleaning Industry Management Standard (CIMS) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4